Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Frum Women got married her husband is an Arab
1  2  3  Next

Living Princess

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:20 am
Shocking!!!
How could this happen?
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html
Frum girl who got married a few weeks ago finds out her husband may be an Arab

Last edited by Living Princess on Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:20 am
What's shocking? What happened?

Cherry Blossom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:54 am
I guess there is a reason why some people stress on yichus.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:01 am
After my divorce, I found a box with some of my ex's paperwork in it.

There was an adoption certificate from a Catholic orphanage. His birth mom was not Jewish. There were no conversion papers anywhere, even though he had birth certificates.

I have no idea if he was even halachically Jewish. The shul might have just taken his parent's word for it, and not pressed. The whole thing left me reeling for days.

I posted about it somewhere on here, but now I can't find the thread.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:53 am
Very disturbing story. Trying to figure out what his goal here was

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:57 am
Cherry Blossom wrote:
I guess there is a reason why some people stress on yichus.

And by yichus you don't mean descended from whomever, just halachically Jewish. Not too much to ask.

HH613

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:58 am
Oy that’s so horrifying.

Bruria

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:18 am
People should look into more carefully when a person claims to be from a country where 99% of Jews fled from the country. There isn't a community or anyone to verify the facts, these loners trick a lot of people.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:21 am
Arab men posing as Jews and marrying Jewish women is a well-known and ongoing phenomenon in Israel. There is at least one organization, Yad L'Achim, whose mission is to rescue these women, who are often abused, and their children. In Muslim law, children belong to the father so rescuing the children is even more difficult than rescuing the mothers.

At least this woman found out before she had children.

HH613

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:29 am
zaq wrote:
Arab men posing as Jews and marrying Jewish women is a well-known and ongoing phenomenon in Israel. There is at least one organization, Yad L'Achim, whose mission is to rescue these women, who are often abused, and their children. In Muslim law, children belong to the father so rescuing the children is even more difficult than rescuing the mothers.

At least this woman found out before she had children.

I hate to say it but it’s possible she’s pregnant-who knows!

Blessing1

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:38 am
Oy this is so scary and chilling!

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:40 am
HH613 wrote:

Of course it's possible. It's quite probable. But she's in a safe house, not living with this guy or his family, so she won't have to be "rescued" in that sense. Most Yad L'Achim clients are held against their will by their Arab husbands and inlaws, and even if the families are willing to let them leave, they're not letting the children go.

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:28 pm
There have been multiple news articles recently regarding individuals and families who were masquerading as someone they are not in our communities (around the world). What can we learn from this? What can we do to keep this from happening again, and to protect ourselves and our loved ones?

Plonis

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:31 pm
It already exists. It's called a Birur Yahadus, and is supposed to be done by the Mesader Kiddushin before officiating at a wedding.

Since many have no idea of what they are doing, they should outsource this to an experienced Beis Din who will do the investigations.

Living Princess

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:40 pm
HH613 wrote:

I really doubt it she's been married a couple of weeks according to the article

Another mom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:53 pm
https://www.myheritage.com/sit.....nchor
He just made up names, anyone can do it. Meir Lansky--- Yakobowitz. Very funny and unprofessional cover up

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:04 pm
I watch Dateline and this is just a twist on woman who are tricked into marrying husbands with terrible pasts - some have killed their wives and others are just swindlers.

Watch Dirty John for a classic story of a woman who was bamboozled into marrying a grifter who then stalked her and tried to kill her daughter. It turned out she was just one of several.

And of course there are men who have wound up marrying woman who lied about their past. They show up in true crime when they wind up killing their husband and many of them killed a husband or several before but got away with it.

Bruria

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:04 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
There have been multiple news articles recently regarding individuals and families who were masquerading as someone they are not in our communities (around the world). What can we learn from this? What can we do to keep this from happening again, and to protect ourselves and our loved ones?

There were also articles from people who discovered they were Jewish in unlikely countries. Journalists love this stuff and don't check.

Bruria

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:07 pm
Famous one who tricked everyone: Hilaria Baldwin, told the world she was from Spain. Spoke Spanish, she was everywhere in the news and no one outed her.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:15 pm
I don't know with these kind of news.
Lots of Chabad sluchim, also here in the Netherlands (really) have weird stories people who claim to be Jewish but it is almost not checkable. I recall a story that a shliach got called from the Dutch Refugee organization that there was a refugee from the Middle East (think Syria at that time) who claimed to be Jewish.
You almost can't check it sometimes, like I don't go to Syria and find out if Ploni is really Jewish by looking in to documents. They accepted him in his house and the like and he was ok not violent at all or any thing close to terrorism. Maybe he was right maybe he was not.
Lots of people come to chabad houses or sluchim who claim to be Jewish who are really not. We had here an old guy who claimed to be Jewish, the board and the sluchim asked him millions of times to verify it in Germany where his mom was from he refused it and now is at the reform community.

I find it a little bit too much to come from Beirut or Libanon, get a green card or a USA visa.. whcih is hard to get be being involved for SIX (!) years at Chabad and no one had a second tought? I mean we had in NL someone who claimed to be Jewish, she wasn't she was a pathological liar and lied to everyone and made false documents not for terrorism causes just because she had a severe attachment disorder and personality disorder the Jewish community was her prey. She did dangerous things though and spoke lots of lashon hora.

There are weird people coming to Chabad, and Kiruv organizations someone who just want ot have attention.

I don't know... I find it weird same as that missionairy in Israel I mean... Really why spend so much effort and time.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics