Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Frum Women got married her husband is an Arab
Previous  1  2  3  Next

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:17 pm
Living Princess wrote:
I really doubt it she's been married a couple of weeks according to the article

That's long enough for a young and fertile woman. You don't know anyone who conceived on her wedding night?

Plonis

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:18 pm
Apparently the "six years with Chabad" thing is not true either. He first came there in 2018. And there's no Yeshiva there, just a campus Chabad House.

There are Batei Din that do Birur Yahadus regularly. Maybe not everyone would be able to know how to research it, but there are those who can.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:21 pm
I read the article again.... '' In addition to the involvement of the FBI in the incident, the US Department of Homeland Security has been briefed about the story as well as the Israeli Consulate General. They are investigating if the man is in the United States legally or not.''

How is it possible to have kiddushin in the US without being legally married first? Like... how..... My husband had to show lots of documents and I too had to do that, passports and stuff I also got checked by the Federation in London, they called the shliach from my city and the Rav in Amsterdam to verify I was Jewish... What the h... is going on in the US?

isrmss91

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:28 pm
I don't understand how this even happened??!! He claimed to be a Lebanese jew?? All anyone had to do was ask if they knew the family back in Lebanon. Everyone knows everybody in the Sephardic Lebanese community, especially in Brooklyn. It is a small-close knit community and everyone is related to everyone. When we go out, we always check who the family is or know people who know the family. Lebanese Jews either hail from Beirut or Sideh It is sad, that the man was not investigated, more closely.

Last edited by isrmss91 on Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

2cents

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:42 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
I don't understand how this even happened?? He claimed to be a Lebanese jew. All anyone had to do was ask if they knew the family back in Lebanon. Everyone knows everybody in the Sephardic Lebanese community, especially in Brooklyn. It is a small-close knit community.

She's from the frum sephardic community in Brooklyn. Apparently his story held. I think everyone should be sensitive. There is an entire community shaken to the core, tons of single friends who are in absolute shock, and a young girl who thought she found her bashert and just danced at her wedding weeks ago whose life has been destroyed.

sari00

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:50 pm
Just plain horrified that this happened but I do think ppl love the shocking news- regardless if its destroying someone's life I really feel for this girl I hope she's able to heal through this...
I just am sickened how so many of these stories become entertaining to many- become the topic of conversations today... because they're so bizarre 😳... I wish we'd love to regular stuff instead of getting excited about the he gossip 😔

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:56 pm
newima wrote:
Just plain horrified that this happened but I do think ppl love the shocking news- regardless if its destroying someone's life I really feel for this girl I hope she's able to heal through this...
I just am sickened how so many of these stories become entertaining to many- become the topic of conversations today... because they're so bizarre 😳... I wish we'd love to regular stuff instead of getting excited about the he gossip 😔

No one likes such stories. It put chills in our bodies. If it happened to another frum person or a frum community what keeps it back from happening to us??? It’s a very painful subject for all of us to read about.

shanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:04 pm
The worst case scenario would be if he IS Jewish (if he has a Muslim father and Jewish mother) because then she’s stuck being married to him. (Unless maybe the whole thing is invalid because he lied about his identity)
I really hope he’s not Jewish.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:05 pm
Plonis wrote:
Apparently the "six years with Chabad" thing is not true either. He first came there in 2018. And there's no Yeshiva there, just a campus Chabad House.

There are Batei Din that do Birur Yahadus regularly. Maybe not everyone would be able to know how to research it, but there are those who can.

As the parent of a recent college grad, and a current college student, I can tell you that plenty of non-Jews come to Chabad and Hillel for Shabbat meals. They're free, and college kids like free. Maybe if the Chabad House or Hillel pulled 10 kids a Shabbat, they'd notice. But when you're getting the numbers they probably do at a place like Texas A&M, it would be impossible, especially for the kids who only show up on Friday night. These people have no reason to apologize.

IMNSHO there's more here than they're saying. Being in the country illegally? Wouldn't that be ICE, not the FBI? Identity theft, sure. But IME no one in government really jumps to prosecute that if its not creating a danger, or involving buckets of money. Someone once used my name to try to defraud people, and no one from the government seemed to care. A "safe house"? Like where they hide government witnesses who to mob is after?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:08 pm
It sounds more like he's suspected on terrorism.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:32 pm
shanarishona wrote:
The worst case scenario would be if he IS Jewish (if he has a Muslim father and Jewish mother) because then she’s stuck being married to him. (Unless maybe the whole thing is invalid because he lied about his identity)
I really hope he’s not Jewish.

No one is stuck being married to anyone. They can divorce.

monkeymamma

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:43 pm
Just got this:

*Update and statement from the Chabad Rabbi in Texas:*

Since 2007, the Rohr Chabad Jewish Student Center at Texas A & M has been serving all Jewish faculty and students to explore their Judaism.
A student, presenting himself as Eliyah Hawila, who frequented campus Jewish institutions (including serving as president at one), began visiting Chabad in 2018 (he never studied at a Chabad affiliated yeshiva, nor was he proficient in Hebrew).
Last year he met a woman from N.Y. on a Jewish dating website.
He falsely presented himself to her as observant. When I was asked by the woman, I informed her that from what I observed his conduct did not reflect that of an observant Jew.
The fundamental responsibility of the officiating rabbi at a wedding, the mesader kiddushin, is to determine the Jewish status (birur hayahadut) of the couple and ensure that they are both Jewish, single and allowed to marry each other in accordance with Jewish law. I was not officiating the marriage ceremony, nor were we involved in the wedding preparations and our attendance was predicated on the understanding that the officiating rabbi had done their due diligence to confirm the groom’s Jewish status.
The wedding was supposed to be officiated by Rabbi Ezra Zafrani of Lakewood, NJ. He prepared the ketuba, but was ultimately not able to attend and his son, Rabbi David Zafrani, officiated.
Prior to the wedding, Rabbi Ezra Zafrani and Rabbi David Zafrani did not inquire with me about his Jewish status. In advance of the wedding, the father of the bride asked me about his Jewish status and I told him I don’t know and the officiating rabbi needs to determine that.
Mrs. Zafrani requested that we join the wedding at the couple’s behest, as my wife and I would be in NY then. At the wedding, I was told that his Jewish status was confirmed. As the groom had no family attending, at the request of the couple and the Zafranis, we walked him down to the chuppah and I signed the ketubah.
We were clearly all misled about his identity. Our hearts go out to this woman, her family and everyone else deceived by this individual here in Texas and in New York and New Jersey.

Rabbi Yossi Lazaroff

Rohr Chabad Jewish Student Center at Texas A&M University

dats me

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It sounds more like he's suspected on terrorism.

This morning in Israel time, yeshiva world had a much more detailed article about this story, it was since taken down. It said that she found a knife and gun in the house together with the passport, and that he had connections with Hezbolla.

Einikel

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:51 pm
dats me wrote:
This morning in Israel time, yeshiva world had a much more detailed article about this story, it was since taken down. It said that she found a knife and gun in the house together with the passport, and that he had connections with Hezbolla.

I know for a fact that it’s definitely not true. He definitely didn’t have any weapons and so far they haven’t found any ties with terror organizations.

isrmss91

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:55 pm
I heard his voice on one of the jewish sites.. I detected a slight Arabic Accent. As far as I know, there are NO young Jewish Lebanese left in Beirut anymore. That would have been a red flag. Many of the families left in 60s, & 70's. They immigrated all over, like America, Israel, South America, & Canada. It is very sad, that he was not investigated further by the family. The father of the bride even questioned his status, but still with no concrete answer, let his daughter marry?? Very sad. I am sure stricter changes in the community, will be implemented now, like the bride and groom will need to show their parents ketubah to ascertain proof of their jewish status.

dats me

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:56 pm
Einikel wrote:
I know for a fact that it’s definitely not true. He definitely didn’t have any weapons and so far they haven’t found any ties with terror organizations.

Oh good, I was hoping that it wasn't true and that's why they took down the original article...

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 6:45 pm
Plonis wrote:
It already exists. It's called a Birur Yahadus, and is supposed to be done by the Mesader Kiddushin before officiating at a wedding.

Since many have no idea of what they are doing, they should outsource this to an experienced Beis Din who will do the investigations.

I'm tempted not to finish reading this thread. I want to be dlkz. At the moment, there are many ways I can be.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:57 pm
Einikel wrote:

And you know this how? Are you part of the team investigating the case?

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:24 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
No one is stuck being married to anyone. They can divorce.

But if he's halachically Jewish, she would need a get unless there's some other reason the marriage was not legit. If he's not halachically Jewish, she would only need a civil divorce.

Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:26 pm
I wonder what his endgame was.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics