Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Where to take naps

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:00 pm
I have a newborn. I did not do nap time well with my other two when they were babies. They would only nap if I was holding them. I want to do it right with this one.

From what I read it says baby should nap in their crib. But at one and two weeks old they nap pretty much ALL day long. So basically baby would sleep in their crib, wake up and eat, diaper change, be awake for a short time and then back in crib. So I would hardly be seeing my baby at all during the first weeks of their life?

Is this what people do? Where does/did your newborn nap?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:02 pm
Sometimes on me, sometimes in the crib. Some newborns are sleepier than others; there's definitely a lot of variation. So far I haven't felt like I didn't see my baby enough.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:02 pm
All I see for the first weeks is my baby lol I have no time for anything else. Til they nurse. Til they fall asleep.
Babywear it's easier than a crib. Or nap with them when you can.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:05 pm
I kept DD at my side for the first 3 months, at least. It was easier for both of us, and I think it made her feel more secure and bonded to know that I was right there. I was really hoping to be able to wear her in a wrap, but no matter what model I tried it hurt my back.

If you want to talk to a baby-wearing pro, contact Finallyamommy. Wrapping is her superpower!

Window

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:08 pm
Yes, that’s the right thing to do. Your baby will sleep well and get on a good schedule from the start.
You CAN occasionally baby wear/hold him for a nap, it’s healthy for bonding!! Just make sure that most naps are in the crib.
Also, noise machines are great for keeping them down for two hour naps

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:09 pm
For the first few months my baby napped in the bassinet, swing or on me, depending on what was going on.
After 2 months I got strict about bassinet only but still held/nursed him for a nap once in a while. I would say from 5 months and on it was crib only.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:09 pm
I’m not a mom who likes to hold sleeping babies. There’s too much to get done and it makes me feel antsy. So yes I nap them in their bassinet. But they’re up q2-3 round the clock so it never occured to me that I wasn’t seeing them. I saw them all nights so day!

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:37 pm
You can keep a bassinet or a bassinet stroller in your living room so you don’t feel tied down to your bed all day.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 1:40 pm
Bassinet of the stroller that I can wheel where ever I go

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 2:10 pm
Yes, I nap my kids in the crib from the beginning.

As a real, real newborn, like in the first couple of weeks, I'm fine with the baby falling asleep on me (or a loving grandparent, etc.) once in a while. But I make sure that every day there's at least one or two good crib naps. And nighttime is always in the crib/bassinet.

We do set up a bassinet or a pack 'n play in a communal area so that I can put the baby down there. At the beginning, you're really just making sure they're used to sleeping on their backs on a flat surface, so it doesn't matter where as long as it's safe. For example, I'm fine with a baby sleeping on a blanket on the floor on his back, as long as I'm right there making sure he's okay. (That might mean on Shabbos at the in-laws when we're all shmoozing on the living room couches, something like that. Obviously with toddlers around they need to be safe from them as well.)

imaima

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a newborn. I did not do nap time well with my other two when they were babies. They would only nap if I was holding them. I want to do it right with this one.

From what I read it says baby should nap in their crib. But at one and two weeks old they nap pretty much ALL day long. So basically baby would sleep in their crib, wake up and eat, diaper change, be awake for a short time and then back in crib. So I would hardly be seeing my baby at all during the first weeks of their life?

Is this what people do? Where does/did your newborn nap?

Why can't you look at your baby when she sleeps?

You are not supoosed to keep babies awake for the sake of seeing them.

It is great in theory to always nap in the crib, that hardly ever worked out for me, whether in the night or in the day.

My babies napped in my bed, in a baby carrier, on the couch and most of all, in the stroller. They napped in the place where they fell asleep.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 4:58 pm
imaima wrote:
Why can't you look at your baby when she sleeps?

You are not supoosed to keep babies awake for the sake of seeing them.

It is great in theory to always nap in the crib, that hardly ever worked out for me, whether in the night or in the day.

My babies napped in my bed, in a baby carrier, on the couch and most of all, in the stroller. They napped in the place where they fell asleep.

Oh no I didn't mean to keep them awake to be able to be with them. My older two I mostly held/wore in a carrier for their naps. I loved the snuggle and bonding feeling but it really did tie me down and got harder as they got older and then it was a big thing with crying involved to transition them to napping in the crib.

So I want to do it "right" this time . Baby's crib is upstairs though so I feel like for the majority of the day he would be so far away from me until he starts being awake more. I guess I could get a bassinet and put it on the main floor of the house but that is an extra expense and we don't really have the $ to spend on that.

I guess I'm torn about what to do. The snuggle bonding vs my baby learning how to take good naps in crib from the beginning. So wondering what other people do. Does that make sense?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:01 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
All I see for the first weeks is my baby lol I have no time for anything else. Til they nurse. Til they fall asleep.
Babywear it's easier than a crib. Or nap with them when you can.

Yeah I know it's easier but then once I wanted them to start napping in the crib it was a whole thing to get them to fall asleep there for naps because they were so used to be held... Sad

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:05 pm
I guess from reading the responses I like the idea of sometimes holding, sometimes sleeping on the floor on a blanket near me (I watch him the whole time) and at least a couple of naps in the crib. Then when his awake times become longer and he doesn't take as many naps I will transition to crib naps only.

We do night sleep in crib only.

Thanks everyone.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 5:29 pm
get a bassinet or crib for downstairs so he can safely be put down for naps there as well

scintilla

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 6:11 pm
I did cosleeping for nights and naps when I wanted to rest, and naps in crib from about 6 weeks (nights were in crib sometimes from earlier) but went back to cosleeping whenever my baby didn't go down well in the crib. I think what's key is having them associate the crib with sleep, and with being ready for sleep - I never put a baby in a crib in the first few months unless I'm sure they've had enough to eat and are basically ready to fall asleep. I found that worked really well and my baby didn't want to cosleep anymore by about 4 months and does beautifully in the crib for all sleep.

bunchagirlies

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 6:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh no I didn't mean to keep them awake to be able to be with them. My older two I mostly held/wore in a carrier for their naps. I loved the snuggle and bonding feeling but it really did tie me down and got harder as they got older and then it was a big thing with crying involved to transition them to napping in the crib.

So I want to do it "right" this time . Baby's crib is upstairs though so I feel like for the majority of the day he would be so far away from me until he starts being awake more. I guess I could get a bassinet and put it on the main floor of the house but that is an extra expense and we don't really have the $ to spend on that.

I guess I'm torn about what to do. The snuggle bonding vs my baby learning how to take good naps in crib from the beginning. So wondering what other people do. Does that make sense?

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm double posting, but here's a really cheap bassinet from walmart.com, if you're in the USA. I have it and used for 2 babies already.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Del.....37215

I have that bassinet in my room for first few months. on my main floor I have a stroller bassinet, which I use all day for naps. I loved that I was able to just wheel my baby out with me when I went out for busses, and didn't have to wake her. (weather & season permitting)

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:53 pm
My babies don’t sleep much in the bassinet but yes get one for downstairs. Just borrow from a friend. If your baby will take regular naps in it, that would be amazing! Mine only seem to nap on me which is why I get nothing else done unless I hire help

DVOM

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:18 pm
Another vote for some sort of crib for downstairs. We keep a pram downstairs that I can roll around with me as I cook, clean, tidy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics