Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Business idea needed
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 10:24 am
Ok Ladies, I need your help.

DH is getting a little restless in his job and its time for something new. He has a college degree but nothing more than that. I don't want to give away details but his current job doesn't really qualify his much (lousy job, but it paid). He is bright, smart and will get things done, and creative in a sense. He's good with math but can't sit at a computer all day doing something like computer programing. He is not an outgoing peoples person so going out and being a macher isn't for him.

Is there something that you wish there was (like a service, but not limited to a service) that maybe my dh can open/create?

I love my job, and I want him to love his job too.

Any ideas?

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 10:37 am
What does he have a degree in? Can he focus on a specialty area within that industry?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:12 am
I forgot what the degree was in. something neutral like psychology. but he has no interest in that field!

he needs something interesting. something thats not just the standard job.

amf

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:16 am
What are his interests? What does he like to do? What cause/issue is he passionate about?

The best businesses fill an existing need, not create a need and then fill it. What problem does he/people he know face, and how can he help them?

(Yes I know right now his problem is work... maybe he should become a career counselor. Wink his degree would actually help with that)

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:44 am
Real estate, mortgage broker, financial advisor, working as a sports coach / work with kids / life coach ?
Non profit jobs ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 11:45 am
he is NOT a people person.. would def be more options if he was Smile

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 1:55 pm
Photography, commercial photography
Check if theres a need

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
he is NOT a people person.. would def be more options if he was Smile

My husband is the same way. He Bh does really well with Amazon and the stock market.

There’s endless opportunities in the stock market. There are so many resources out there to help really learn the market and the ways to really make money on it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:12 am
thank you all.

any particular business you know of that you feel needs improvement?

this is a dumb example but just to try and bring the point: lets just say there was no such thing as a kids dentist office. and kids went to boring green colored wall dentist office like adults. clearly there is a need (kids need to go the dentist) but the experience is all wrong (they need colors, tv's, games, prizes etc...).

so I'm not referring to a profession that dh would need schooling for. but is there something out there that you feel like the experience is wrong and just needs to be updated?

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok Ladies, I need your help.

DH is getting a little restless in his job and its time for something new. He has a college degree but nothing more than that. I don't want to give away details but his current job doesn't really qualify his much (lousy job, but it paid). He is bright, smart and will get things done, and creative in a sense. He's good with math but can't sit at a computer all day doing something like computer programing. He is not an outgoing peoples person so going out and being a macher isn't for him.

Is there something that you wish there was (like a service, but not limited to a service) that maybe my dh can open/create?

I love my job, and I want him to love his job too.

Any ideas?

let him talk to a recruiter! The Penguin group helped me

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I forgot what the degree was in. something neutral like psychology. but he has no interest in that field!

he needs something interesting. something thats not just the standard job.

forgot?? that's strange!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 12:38 pm
yes, strange I suppose. he got his degree 20 years ago and years before we got married. has played zero role in his life whatsoever.

any advice or inspiration is appreciated!

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 12:47 pm
If you want him to love his job, then WADR I think you need to go at it the other way around.

Meaning, instead of choosing a job by figuring out what doesn't currently exist, choose a job based on his skills/interests - whether or not it already exists.

Plenty of people are very happy - and make a decent living - as one of thousands of people who do a specific type of work. Unless he has a real urge to be an entrepreneur, why look davka for novelty?

(and even then, most successful businesses bring an existing idea to a new market, rather than creating something new)

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 12:51 pm
Could you give a little more detail on "can't sit at a computer all day" and "not a people person"?

Basically, how many hours opposite a computer could he handle, and how much work with other people? Does he need at least 4 hours/day to be physical labor rather than mental focus, or is it just that programming in particular sounds boring to him? Can he handle working with a team, or being a teacher, etc, and just doesn't like sales? Or is he really looking for something he could do almost entirely independently?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 1:02 pm
good questions. its hard to say.

not a peoples person as in not going to be a sales guy on the floor.
he can work part of a team (frum environment would be necessary)

he can sit at a computer, but I guess what I meant was sitting doing computer work that is mindless or boring isn't gonna cut it for him.

whats an exisiting idea that needs to reinvented?

ora_43

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 3:23 pm
Computer programming isn't mindless at all. Maybe for the first few years you have to put in your time doing the more boring work, but in general there's a lot of room for creativity and problem-solving.

I mean for sure some people will be bored by it. But if your dh is a math person I wouldn't rule it out too quickly. There are a lot of different computer-related fields, too - programming, obviously, but also app design, product design, graphic design, technical writing.

Is he looking specifically to be self-employed?

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:01 pm
Selling on Amazon ?

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:36 pm
Do you have the capital to invest for a new business?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 4:40 pm
I wish someone would make sugar free low carb convenience foods like bottled soy coffee beverages and non-noodle instant soups.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 5:16 pm
yes, I have the money for a new business, bh
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics