Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
If you always wear glasses how often do you buy new frames?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 10:56 am
I spent a lot around 3 years ago and they look good on me. I just feel that since I wear them all the time I want a change… I would probably end up spending a lot again as I feel that it’s part of my appearance and it’s an important purchase.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:00 am
Approximately every 2-3 years

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:01 am
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
Approximately every 2-3 years

Me too! My glasses are in the 300 range I have a very high prescription (850 and 1050) so pay for thinner lenses etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:05 am
Thank you… I feel less guilty considering it
Mine were also in the 300 range but I have to pay another $200 for special lenses…

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:05 am
My glasses are about $500 a pair (I have a very high prescription and pay extra for the high-index thinner lenses). I usually get new glasses every 2-3 years because they get pretty beat up being worn all the time… I fall asleep in them, wear them in the pool, have them grabbed off my face by babies, etc

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:06 am
I buy 2 or 3 pairs at a time and replace them every 2 years. It's something I wear every day, I like having variety. The big difference is that I don't spend a lot. I have a simple prescription and I go to a cheap place.

amother
Feverfew

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:06 am
Every two years, because b"H we have insurance that covers it that often up to a certain amount. Also, I encourage people to check their eyes that often because they can change- my prescription actually got better during a couple of pregnancies, and then as I age there's the complication of reading issues. And the eye doctor can also tell you if the frames aren't fitting you as well.

I do like to get my frames tightened up or readjusted a couple times a year.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:16 am
Somewhere between 5 and 10 years, depends on whether or not they get broken.

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:30 am
When they get broken, and I mean snapped in half 😅 can't afford more frequently than that.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:36 am
It’s been about ten years.

Desperately need new ones.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:43 am
I used to get them every year or two because they would break. I'd gotten cheap ones.

Then one year for my birthday or anniversary (don't remember), I told my husband I wanted new glasses that were more expensive to see whether they wouldn't break as easily. It was a pain to need to drop everything to get new frames so often, always at the worst time, and they were always getting bent out of shape, etc. The ones I'd been getting had been like 40 bucks each.

That was 9 years ago. I am still wearing the same pair of glasses. They cost a few hundred dollars and have already paid for themselves. I feel no need to get new ones. When these break, I'll probably try to get the same ones over again.

To me, glasses are just tools to help me see better. Not a fashion accessory. No need to buy new ones if these work perfectly fine.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:45 am
Glasses should cost as much as needed to get a pair that looks amazing on your face. At least as much as you will spend on your nicest shabbos or simcha clothing or shoes. After all, it is on your face every single day for years.

I wait until I feel tired of them and the style changes enough for me not to feel good about them anymore. When they go from adding to my style to being a medical need that my style has to make work.

The timing can vary.

jellybelly94

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:47 am
I get every 3 to 4 years approx and also spend abt 300 or 350 a pair. Wear mine all the time and I definitely need to change t up here and there especially if they go out of style but my last pair I bought before they even were In style n BH they still r so I got longer stretch out of them. Also depends on the wear n tear of the frames and lenses!

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:06 pm
My prescription changed.
The pair I got less than 2 yrs ago is ready for the garbage! I would actually be eligible for a small discount from my insurance if I wait a month and a half but I really need new glasses now.
I used to keep my glasses for way longer than that. I think what they make nowadays is junk. They were not cheap at all!
My new glasses with progressive lenses is costing me $450!!! Can't Believe It I don't have a choice!
I was tempted to try zenni for a hundred dollars but everyone I asked told me is much more complicated with progressive and I shouldn't take a risk.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Electricblue ] wrote:
My prescription changed.
The pair I got less than 2 yrs ago is ready for the garbage! I would actually be eligible for a small discount from my insurance if I wait a month and a half but I really need new glasses now.
I used to keep my glasses for way longer than that. I think what they make nowadays is junk. They were not cheap at all!
My new glasses with progressive lenses is costing me $450!!! Can't Believe It I don't have a choice!
I was tempted to try zenni for a hundred dollars but everyone I asked told me is much more complicated with progressive and I shouldn't take a risk.

Try Costco. They are excellent and have an outside lab. Consumer Reports rates their lenses as high quality, and half that price. (I also wear progressives. Sometimes I get the frames at Costco—my sunglasses, Fendi, are from there and they cost under $100. The lenses are around $150. Service is excellent.

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:19 pm
I changed my glasses frames when my prescription changes and I recently got at zenni ... two pairs for 74 bucks and 74 cents

I however I'm also very lucky that I do not have a very strong prescription

gigglemom

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:37 pm
I have a high prescription, and they cost between $300 and $500 depending on how many upgrades I do thin lenses I always do or else I look terrible. But there are cheaper frames and pricier frames..... I usually take a good frame because my lense costs so much and if the frame breaks I have to get an entire new pair.... so it's not worth it to save that $100 on the frame. I replace them around every 3 years, and I do an eye exam before I replace them to make sure nothing changed. I use The Lense Center in Boro Park because they do the best job with the high prescriptions. I also get them readjusted every few months and I change the nose pads then as well because they get gross. They don't charge me for this service when I go. 10/10 recommend that store, only issue I ever had with them was a long wait to get help. But their salesmen are really really experienced, they give you the best frame for your face and prescription.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 1:00 pm
Whenever I’m in the mood. I go to zenni.com, buy six or seven pairs for about $120, then toss the inevitable one or two that look horrible, and enjoy the other four in rotation until I lose them or break them or are in the need of a new look. (I am fortunate to have a straightforward prescription BH so I can easily buy pairs for $12-$25 each online).

lamplighter

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 1:19 pm
My glasses are $400.
High complicated prescription.
Every 3 years or so or when they break.

saralem

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 1:20 pm
My plan pays for new glasses every year. I wear progressive lens so it still costs me a few hundred dollars. Without insurance it would cost $800.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics