Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore weekend
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 10:14 pm
I want to check out Baltimore as a potential community to move. Any suggestions of where to stay near the frum areas? Is there any sort of nshei or organization or people to talk to that can answer any questions and give us a feel for things?

We're middle aged with toddlers to teens and want a family friendly shul but also a place with serious davening. Does that exist? We don't want to go somewhere where people go to shul mainly for socializing and leave during the drasha, have kiddush club, etc.

Any insight for a potential weekend stay there is very helpful. Ty!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:39 am
Bump

aussie2

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 3:17 pm
I'm confused. Do you have any relatives or friends in Baltimore? What is making you choose Baltimore as a potential place to live?
There are bikur cholim apartments but I assume that is for ppl staying in Baltimore getting treatment in John Hopkins etc..
I never heard of apt for ppl just coming to check out Baltimore.. From what I know ppl doing a pilot trip usually have some contacts in that locations and that is where they would go for shabbos..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 4:37 pm
aussie2 wrote:
I'm confused. Do you have any relatives or friends in Baltimore? What is making you choose Baltimore as a potential place to live?
There are bikur cholim apartments but I assume that is for ppl staying in Baltimore getting treatment in John Hopkins etc..
I never heard of apt for ppl just coming to check out Baltimore.. From what I know ppl doing a pilot trip usually have some contacts in that locations and that is where they would go for shabbos..

There are no hotels in any of the frum areas? Obviously I'm asking bc I don't have any contacts there and have limited knowledge of the area. I didn't realize that moving there was limited to just people that know Baltimoreans. I also don't see how my reasons for considering Baltimore are relevant to the questions I asked. This reminds me of comments I've read from native Floridians who are not happy with the influx of New Yorkers.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:02 pm
The hotels are on the outskirts. Short drive but not doable for Shabbos, though.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:04 pm
There is a hotel near the frum community (Pikesville Hilton), but not for Shabbos. It's not a reasonable walk to shul. Your best bet is to contact a shul and get connected to a host family. I've heard that there are airbnb's around, but I don't know where. Do you have any information at all to start with? Area you would like to move into? Shuls you've heard of? There are a number of them that fit your criteria, but the community is a little spread out. There is also a website called BaltimoreJewishLife.com that has a lot of good information and resources. There is even a place to post requests for things like a place to stay for Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:11 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
The hotels are on the outskirts. Short drive but not doable for Shabbos, though.

Thank you.

Do people ever move without spending a shabbos somewhere? I feel like I could do that but my husband thinks the prospect is crazy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:17 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
There is a hotel near the frum community (Pikesville Hilton), but not for Shabbos. It's not a reasonable walk to shul. Your best bet is to contact a shul and get connected to a host family. I've heard that there are airbnb's around, but I don't know where. Do you have any information at all to start with? Area you would like to move into? Shuls you've heard of? There are a number of them that fit your criteria, but the community is a little spread out. There is also a website called BaltimoreJewishLife.com that has a lot of good information and resources. There is even a place to post requests for things like a place to stay for Shabbos.

Thank you so much for the information! The only thing I know about neighborhoods is from what I've read on here. I'll check out the website, sounds great.

From what I've read, it seems like most areas are a mix of people and generally friendly, so unless there's something I'm missing, I think housing prices will be the determining factor. We'd like to spend around 450-5 max, the lower the better, and have at least 2000 square feet and a decent size yard. Are there specific neighborhoods more likely to have that available?

Thank you again for taking the time for such an informative response!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:18 pm
There are several shuls that could fit your criteria. If you get a bit more specific with the type of crowd you are looking for, hashkafa & social wise, you could probably get specific recs.

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:19 pm
You should probably look in the Indian Village area. The shul there is Rabbi Teichman's shul.
https://www.ohelmoshebaltimore.com/

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:20 pm
Shomrei emuna in greenspring
Or rabbi Heber’s in park heights might be good for u

There are hachnasas archim apartments call bethy gutman or tanya klein
Or I’m sure one of the shuls could place u at a family. Baltimore is friendly and hospitable

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:43 pm
I think your reasons for moving to Baltimore are right on target! We moved here about 5 years ago, and have found it to be friendly and welcoming. Haven't researched housing prices recently, but you can definitely find something in that price range.
Park Heights avenue has a bunch of shuls. Shaarei Zion, Rabbi Heber, Darchei Tzedek I think are all similar to what you've described. Though the crowd at each shul is a different circle, different type, different values. It's hard to advise without meeting you.

If you'd be coming for shabbos, how many people will you be? Our guest room is out of commission, but I can try to see if any of my neighbors are available.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 6:49 pm
aussie2 wrote:

That is inaccurate. I moved to Baltimore several years ago from somewhere that was a plane ride away. We called up a friend of a friend of a friend, and stayed with them on our pilot trip.
Many people come to Baltimore not really knowing anyone here. It's a warm friendly community.
I will read the rest of the thread and try to comment if I have any suggestions for OP!

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 6:53 pm
OP if you would like to send me a PM, I will give you my phone number and I can talk to you about Baltimore and help you plan...

Last edited by amother on Sat, Nov 13 2021, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 7:15 pm
I think your best bet would be to speak to a realtor to see which neighborhoods suit you and are in your budget. Then you can try to find someone in those areas to speak to or stay at. Aliza Wein (Bondar) is a good option. She grew up in Baltimore and understands the nuances between locations.

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 8:00 pm
I wouldn't recommend buying before you know where you want to live/what shul you'll feel comfortable in. As mentioned above, there are a few that fit what you're looking for but their crowds are different so perhaps renting when you move and buying when you know the place a little more would be a better idea.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:59 pm
I came back to see if I could help you, and so many people responded! Baltimore is warm and friendly, it's a great place to live. I second Indian Village. Houses in your price range and lots of young families. Rabbi Teichman's shul is in that part of town, and Darchei Tzedek is nearby.

Ima03

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:05 pm
You do not need a reason or need to know anyone in Baltimore to want to check the city out or move here.
That said there are no hotels in the frum community. There is bikur cholim apartments that are available to borrow for a shabbos/few days if you want to check it out.

Baltimore is a lot bigger now that it was 20 years ago. The community has grown. It's about an hour walk from end to end and that's not including the scotts hills area, which is a separate community near TA (one of the boys schools) and about a 10 minute drive. Baltimore is so diverse in hashkafa, but everyone can find their place. You need to be more specific of what you are looking for for people to guide you with suggestions for a shul. And even then, each shul has it's own unique rav, style and flavor.

aussie2

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:17 pm
I just wanted to apologize. I think you took my post the wrong way.. I didn't mean that you need to know someone to move to Baltimore.

s/o mentioned Mrs. Gutman which is a great idea that I hadn't thought of..
You asked about a nishei.. There is an email group called nishei pickwick which ppl post to find out info about different things which might be helpful to you.

There are also probably others who have guest rooms that would be happy to host..

Once again I apologize if my post came out sounding different than I intended.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:17 pm
Kosher Airbnb in Baltimore near shuls and within community

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52550406

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating