Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
How to make challah in a Bosch

bks

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 7:40 am
Hi! Always made challah by hand but now have a Bosch! Want to use my favorite recipe but what are the steps to doing it in a mixer as opposed to by hand? Do I proof the yeast in the mixer etc.

benny

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 7:42 am
I first let the yeast bubble for a few min, then add the rest of the ingredients and then let the Bosch run on low for 15 min. I assume you have the challah bowl?

bks

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 7:57 am
benny wrote:
I first let the yeast bubble for a few min, then add the rest of the ingredients and then let the Bosch run on low for 15 min. I assume you have the challah bowl?

Yes! And thank u! So after proofing just dump et else in? Honey water flour salt oil?

scruffy

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 8:26 am
bks wrote:
Yes! And thank u! So after proofing just dump et else in? Honey water flour salt oil?

I add in half the flour, then add the rest gradually.

benny

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 8:31 am
I do all at once

jflower

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:38 am
Does the machine really have to mix for 15 minutes? I only mix for a few minutes and my challah comes out great. I wonder though what the results would be if I mix the dough for a longer period of time.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:55 am
benny wrote:

Do you really need the challah bowl? I want to get one and this is what always causes me to rethink, the sale ones Chanukah time hardly ever come with the stainless steel bowl. Is it necessary?

clowny

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:03 am
kenz wrote:
Do you really need the challah bowl? I want to get one and this is what always causes me to rethink, the sale ones Chanukah time hardly ever come with the stainless steel bowl. Is it necessary?

Yes. The regular bowl can’t handle a challah dough.

mummy85

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:08 am
I have had my Bosch for over 13 years and do not have a challa bowl. My challa turns out fantastic

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:14 am
mummy85 wrote:
I have had my Bosch for over 13 years and do not have a challa bowl. My challa turns out fantastic

This is what happens every year Very Happy. I get both responses - you absolutely need the challah bowl and no, you definitely don't need it. But since you're coming with 13 years experience of using the plastic bowl, I think I'll believe you. Wink Thanks!

ETA may I ask how many pounds of flour you use?

crema

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:17 am
For a 5 lb. bag of flour recipe, I proof the yeast first, then add half the flour, rest of the ingredients, then gradually add the flour in 2 cup increments. After it has mixed and you have sort of a ball, I squish the challah down in the bowl and let it rest for about 30 minutes (put a piece of saran wrap over the bowl in case it rises too high...I once let it rise too high and I had a very hard time opening up the top part from the bottom!). I find that you don't really need to knead/mix so much if you are making water challah. I don't have the metal bowl, either.

Then punch down and mix for about 3 to 5 minutes to get the dough more loose from the mixing paddle. Remove dough and form a ball and let it rise in a greased bowl until double (cover with saran wrap or a shopping bag cut on one side).

Take the challah, etc. and then shape the dough into greased/oiled pans. You can either freeze the rest of the challah in plastic bags, and to use them - thaw overnight in the refrigerator and shape and bake in the morning as usual. I usually bake it all and then freeze the ones we're not using in double plastic challah bags. Some pre-braid in the pans then freeze, but it takes much more space in the freezer.

If you like water challah, have a tried and true fluffy water challah recipe if you would like me to share it with you. I finally found out how to make the challah light and airy like the bakery water challah Smile It took me 7 years of trying different recipes...

Smile1234

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:31 am
I put in all the flour, add in the eggs oil salt and mix to combine. Then the proofed yeast and sugar mixture and the rest of the water. Mix for ten minutes slowly graduating to high speed.

fwiw- I bought the model that has only a stainless steel bowl and thought I was getting a good deal... but it’s actually the same thing as the white bowl, just in metal. It killed my transmission in under 2 years of use about twice a month. It was under warranty and it was fixed, but the service center told me I must buy the challah bowl or it will happen again.

And also, the 13 year old mixers are likely a lot better made than the new ones.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:32 am
kenz wrote:
This is what happens every year Very Happy. I get both responses - you absolutely need the challah bowl and no, you definitely don't need it. But since you're coming with 13 years experience of using the plastic bowl, I think I'll believe you. Wink Thanks!

ETA may I ask how many pounds of flour you use?

I make 5 lb with the plastic bowl and it comes out great. I've had it 3 years. I only run the machine for a few minutes not 15, I don't see a need to do longer. I've even done 2 batches back to back when I want to stock my freezer.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:47 am
Smile1234 wrote:
I put in all the flour, add in the eggs oil salt and mix to combine. Then the proofed yeast and sugar mixture and the rest of the water. Mix for ten minutes slowly graduating to high speed.

fwiw- I bought the model that has only a stainless steel bowl and thought I was getting a good deal... but it’s actually the same thing as the white bowl, just in metal. It killed my transmission in under 2 years of use about twice a month. It was under warranty and it was fixed, but the service center told me I must buy the challah bowl or it will happen again.

And also, the 13 year old mixers are likely a lot better made than the new ones.

Ah, okay, I hear. I use 6 lbs of dough and want to be able to use it as often as I feel like, so I guess the stainless bowl is the way to go.
I have an 18 year old Magic Mill that still works but is slightly broken - the knob doesn't actually click on anything, you have to keep track of the time and you have to turn off the machine by unplugging it from the wall, so every year I toy with the idea of replacing it with the Bosch b/c the Bosch has a cover and the Magic Mill makes a mess. Unless the stainless steel bowl doesn't have a cover? In which case I'm back to square one, which is why every year I deliberate and then don't do anything about it.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:05 am
Yes the stainless bowl has a cover and no the plastic bowl cannot accommodate 6 lbs, I had been making 6 lbs in my stainless bowl with the stick in the middle (white bowl in metal as posted above) and I realized that it was just too much. I switched to 5 lbs and it worked until the transmission went. Which interestingly was when I was making 2 five lb batches back to back for a big family shabbos... the stainless bowl can accommodate 6 lbs. I’ll be using it today iyh for the first time.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 1:20 pm
Smile1234 wrote:
Yes the stainless bowl has a cover and no the plastic bowl cannot accommodate 6 lbs, I had been making 6 lbs in my stainless bowl with the stick in the middle (white bowl in metal as posted above) and I realized that it was just too much. I switched to 5 lbs and it worked until the transmission went. Which interestingly was when I was making 2 five lb batches back to back for a big family shabbos... the stainless bowl can accommodate 6 lbs. I’ll be using it today iyh for the first time.

Ok so a vote for the stainless this Black Friday. Now let’s see if I can find a decent sale.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 1:36 pm
I have a challah bowl but it leaks despite getting a new gasket...
So I use the white bowl with 6 lbs every 3 weeks or so (way more often YT time).
I proof yeast in that, add in liquids and then solids with half the flour, mix to combine and make more space and then the rest of the flour until all combined. I rest it for 10 minutes and then knead it for about 4 minutes after before doing hafrasha and allowing it to rise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads