Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How do you choose paint colors?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 8:46 am
We’re moving to a new house and the builder is giving us the option of choosing any Benjamin Moore colors. How do I know what to choose for each room? Our house is huge and there are an endless amount of colors!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 8:47 am
Look on Pinterest for ideas.

I knew I wanted color in our living room, kitchen etc but neutral for other rooms.
White can also look really nice.

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:04 am
Magazines, houzz.com, looking at other peoples houses. I combined all 3.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:05 am
I knew I wanted an off white, closer to cream and I was totally overwhelmed by the colors. tbh in the end I just chose the paint color I liked the name of (not at all logical I know) and I'm happy with the results.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:06 am
tweety1 wrote:
Magazines, houzz.com, looking at other peoples houses. I combined all 3.

This and also when you narrow it down have them get paint samples and paint a few patches of color so you can see how it actually looks on YOUR walls (with your flooring, lighting, etc.).

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:07 am
When I was overwhelmed, I got the name of someone who had a side job of advising people about paint colors. It wasn't expensive, and was worth every penny.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:19 am
What kind of flooring are you putting in? In my bedrooms, I went with colors that compliment the carpet.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:28 am
imasinger wrote:
When I was overwhelmed, I got the name of someone who had a side job of advising people about paint colors. It wasn't expensive, and was worth every penny.

I would do that. Any recommendations? We’re on a tight budget

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:29 am
Chayalle wrote:
What kind of flooring are you putting in? In my bedrooms, I went with colors that compliment the carpet.

We have hardwood floors upstairs and in the living / dining room. The rest we have tiles.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:30 am
The hardest is the kitchen and dining room. The bedrooms I want color so I’m not afraid to play around. But In the common living areas I want to be more subtle but still have some character

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:50 am
Hire a decorator!!! I learnt from my mistakes! It's hard to tell how a color will look on the wall. A decorator can choose your colors in an hour (or less) and shouldnt cost too much. Otherwise, you risk having a terrible color that you may end up spending extra to repaint.

simcha2

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:54 am
Benjamin Moore has curated collections that all go together. I chose a panel I liked and it was much less intimidating. Instead of hundreds (thousands? ) of choices, it was in the 10s, and I knew that they would flow together.

We have had many compliments of the paint colors in the house, but I feel like I partially cheated!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:03 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Hire a decorator!!! I learnt from my mistakes! It's hard to tell how a color will look on the wall. A decorator can choose your colors in an hour (or less) and shouldnt cost too much. Otherwise, you risk having a terrible color that you may end up spending extra to repaint.

Any recommendations on a decorator who would do this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:04 am
simcha2 wrote:
Benjamin Moore has curated collections that all go together. I chose a panel I liked and it was much less intimidating. Instead of hundreds (thousands? ) of choices, it was in the 10s, and I knew that they would flow together.

We have had many compliments of the paint colors in the house, but I feel like I partially cheated!

Where can I find the curated collections?

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:06 am
Whatever color you choose, go a few shades lighter. It always ends up darker on the walls then the samples

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:07 am
Also very light cream is a great neutral color and goes well with hardwood

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where can I find the curated collections?

At any Benjamin Moore retailer.

There's also this new shade called "Greige" that people seem to love. https://www.thespruce.com/grei.....97930

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:16 am
I love decorating/picking house decor but one thing I absolutely could not do is pick paint colors. In my opinion, it's really hard to pick colors that will look good unless you do it all the time. There are just SO many options...

I hired a decorator and it was the best $75 I spent. It took less than an hour with her help. I'm OOT so I doubt my recommendation would be helpful.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:38 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I love decorating/picking house decor but one thing I absolutely could not do is pick paint colors. In my opinion, it's really hard to pick colors that will look good unless you do it all the time. There are just SO many options...

I hired a decorator and it was the best $75 I spent. It took less than an hour with her help. I'm OOT so I doubt my recommendation would be helpful.

I’m the same way. I did all the choosing myself. Kitchen, tiles, lighting etc. But with the paint colors I feel stuck. I wish I could find someone for $75 to help me! Maybe I could use your decorator virtually

jewishmom6

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:45 am
I had my sister help me out.

Do you know anyone that its in the design field?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating