Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How long remembers project? What kind of notbook

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 8:31 am
My oldest 9-10 yr oldhas a more than typical memory shy remembers crazy little details that she had as a two year old. Sometimes she asks me to help her remember details when she forgets them. (like I remember grandmother visit and we went swimming and I wore.... then I did..why did grandmother come then. Did she sleep over I forgot.) She also holds on to things. Thing she told me o can't throw out.. And if I throw it out at a later even 2 years ago and suddenly she remembers she gets upset even when I tell her she has no use put of it (ma wear is my bathing suit I wore when I was 5? I saved the one when you were 6. And your last years bathing suit I gave your sister but that one was all worn out. She will Asner still I liked looking at it. Her projects that she worked hard on. She doesn't have to save every paper. But still more things than she should. Like she went to art class on 2 years ago so all her very pretty pics. Whats the best way to deal with it? Why is she like this?
Next question I'm thinking of buying her some kind of blank page notebook cuz she has too many loose papers. What can I buy her?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 9:40 am
Take pictures of everything and you can create albums online or even print some. This way she can alway remember.Then throw the items out.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:07 am
Why is she so attached to things? Is it sentimental? Fear? I am very sentimental even now as an adult I find it hard to toss certain things. Also looking back through my life I for sure always had anxiety.

It might be with looking into the why... That might help or direct the next step

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:49 am
Single again she is an anxious kid. But I can't see why she would be fearful of something that got thrown out. I think its more sentimental. Whether its connected to a good memory about the item for example a prize or clothing. or its that at some point she worked hard on it. Also she is creative. So if Its ruined she thinks of ways to fix it. She has alot of prizes she got over the years she through out alot that broke but still has tones (her school doesn't use food. mostly alot of prizes as incentives) if I tell her why do you need to keep them all. She said she wants to save it for her kids. Or when she's 12 she will babysit.. because she knows people that did that. And I can't convince her not to

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Single again she is an anxious kid. But I can't see why she would be fearful of something that got thrown out. I think its more sentimental. Whether its connected to a good memory about the item for example a prize or clothing. or its that at some point she worked hard on it. Also she is creative. So if Its ruined she thinks of ways to fix it. She has alot of prizes she got over the years she through out alot that broke but still has tones (her school doesn't use food. mostly alot of prizes as incentives) if I tell her why do you need to keep them all. She said she wants to save it for her kids. Or when she's 12 she will babysit.. because she knows people that did that. And I can't convince her not to

I totally hear that. I am very sentimental. And I also had the ideas of saving things for my kids or babysitting and such. It took me a while to realize that sentimentality can be done without objects. And that kids won't want old stuff but the shiny new stuff.

Maybe making a limit on what can be kept, like "if it fits in this box" my parents actually got me a pretty big like 40-50 gallon plastic tub. Also the taking pictures or video idea and keeping it on digital.. doesn't take up space might work.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 4:06 pm
I also have a kid who remembers everything. Like he will remember what we were listening to when we drove to a holiday when he was five.
He also used to like to keep all his school work. I remember that feeling as a kid. It was important - I had worked hard on it all year.
We gave him one box to keep his old school work in. But after a while it was too full, so we had to go through it and sort it out. He could see that he didn’t need every kesiva workbook or number sheet from first grade. It was cute to look at, but not something we needed to keep. He kept a few things, but most got thrown out.
He still has the box in his cupboard and likes to keep a few things, but most of his school stuff now just gets thrown straight out at the end of the year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics