Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Pediatric Psychiatrist Rec - Rockland Area

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:58 am
Anyone have a recommendation for a psychiatrist for a child with ADHD. Somewhere that's reasonable distance to get to from Monsey. I know we need top notch (and they are worth it) but the pricing for the one I called left me unable to breathe. I guess they all are. Anyone have a recommendation.

I saw on a different thread someone mentioned using a pediatric neurologist as they are covered by insurance. I do have a fantastic one though not sure if they do ADHD. But I saw on other threads here that medicating children with ADHD is a very complex process. I want my kid to have the best chance of this going well. Can anyone help with their experience?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:18 pm
Bump. Help. And now I read another thread that terrified me. A mother was complaining that medication made her child a zombie/depressed.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:19 pm
Dr. Hizami

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:32 pm
I use Dr Jonathan lauter. He is in Manhattan but does telehealth for follow up sessions. He is expensive. Like everyone. He's very personable.

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:36 pm
Can I suggest trying to call refua helpline? They are really knowledgeable and great at referring good doctors that take your insurance 8457822000

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 10:57 pm
Unless you think it’s something else then ADHD why not have your pediatrician manage the medicine? We went the psychiatrist route with of oldest two but then with our you here ped. No difference. Yes I have multiple kids with ADHD.. None of my kids are zombies. Zombies are either too much medicine or kids that don’t need medicine at all in my humble opinion.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 11:46 pm
Dr hizami

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 7:13 am
Thank you all! I was starting to rethink if we should be medicating. It seems necessary but the other threads had scared me.
Also thanks for the Recs

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 7:15 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Unless you think it’s something else then ADHD why not have your pediatrician manage the medicine? We went the psychiatrist route with of oldest two but then with our you here ped. No difference. Yes I have multiple kids with ADHD.. None of my kids are zombies. Zombies are either too much medicine or kids that don’t need medicine at all in my humble opinion.

That sounds like a good solution to the expensive issue but it sounds like others say it’s a very complicated process that if messed up can have serious consequences. People were writing about their own experiences as children. This is all so new and scary Sad

I like the idea of calling my dr since I hadn’t consulted with him yet. There were so many therapists in the mix that I didn’t think of it

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 7:57 am
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
Dr. Hizami

Worst doctor ever.

He misdiagnosed someone I know to a bad extend

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 7:58 am
Dr parindh parikah is a great with diagnosing and finding the right medication that works.

Her office is located in white plains

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Worst doctor ever.

I misdiagnosed someone I know to a bad extend

I think he saved my daughter's life. Diagnosed her correctly and got her stable.

Not ADHD though

oneofakind

Post Fri, Nov 12 2021, 12:00 pm
I'd go with a pediatric neurologist for ADHD meds over a pediatrician. If it's complicated, then you can upgrade to a psychiatrist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)