Home

Beginning of Shabbat, sunset behind mountain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 4:48 pm
I'm staying with an elderly, non-frum relative. It is a remote location with no Jewish community. I checked the times for Shabbat on myZmanim and they had the place listed. However, it said on myZmanim that the times are calculated for every place as if on sea level. I am decidedly not on sea level - it is a high valley surrounded by mountains.
Additionally, the mountains block sunset from view.

Question: Can I go by the myZmanim sea level time? Or do I have to go by when the sun visually dips behind the next mountain, which would be pretty early in the day and the sun might still shine on the back of the same valley? What about the end of Shabbat?
I know, AYLOR, but I'd like to know anyway if anyone came across this problem and how they solved it.

Cmon be nice

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 4:57 pm
Email Rabbi Dovid Heber of the Star-k. He is the world expert on this: rabbiheber@star-k.org.

amother

OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:15 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Email Rabbi Dovid Heber of the Star-k. He is the world expert on this: rabbiheber@star-k.org.

Thanks, will try.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:18 pm
I'm so curious about this...

Also because there are not lots of places literally below sea level 33 countries who have places below sea level you must be somewhere very high! Have fun and let me know what a rov says.

amother

Topaz

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 5:56 pm
That sounds like an absolutely gorgeous place to spend Shabbos! Enjoy the scenery!
Rabbi Heber is a great person to ask.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note