Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Every time I give them something fun

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:21 am
Every time I give them something fun and creative to do it ends up being a huge mess and I end up losing it..
I used to blame it on them being little, but by now they are school age and it still happens.
For example, I let them play with kinetic sand today and it is literally all over my house. I am losing my mind from the mess.

Or I bought all kinds of craft items, googly eyes, feathers, stickers etc and it just ends up everywhere and a huge huge mess.

Am I the only one this happens to? Any advice?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:25 am
I know my limits and I don’t give them things I know I can’t handle. Play dough and paint are only allowed on the kitchen table with a plastic tablecloth and when I’m available to sit there. No sand of any type ever. Bubbles only outdoors or in the bathtub. You don’t have to give them messy things or allow them to use it all over the house.

happy chick

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:27 am
Nope, it's not you, it's the kids. I have a lot of permanent remnants of arts-n-crafts all over the place. The desk in my kids room has permanent marker all over it, as well as some of the linen. Some of my towels have peek-a-boo holes in them. There are some googly eyes stuck to the fridge in random places . And I can go on. Sorry if I sound a bit dysfunctional, but my kids are busy having fun (and being kids).

ETA - I also have limits as to things I don't allow in my home. Kinetik sand and play dough are 2 big no-nos in my home.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:29 am
When I give these kind of things, it’s only in a limited area such as the kitchen table, with strict rules not to leave the table with it at all, and always with me in the room to watch them.

My kids are still younger but I don’t see why the rules need to change if you find you can’t trust them.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:30 am
We did kinetic sand today. I have a splat mat and my son knows if there’s even a grain of sand off the mat we won’t play for a long time. He also likes to stick different toys into it so I only allow him to pick one toy. We need to do cleanup before the baby wakes up.

If we don’t have any rules it’s chaos. I need to repeat them before we do it every time.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:31 am
Kinetic sand gets everywhere. That is an outdoor activity for us.

Googly eyes no that doesn't go everywhere. I have had children stick them all around the house as a joke though.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:48 am
Kids need to be kids, and parents need to keep sane. Somewhere in the middle is a compromise!

Things to contain messes:

Deep tub for sand, rice, sensory bin. Only fill the bottom with 4 inches max, and have the kids reach way over to get into it. Jelly marbles are brilliant for plastic tubs. They don't stain, their non toxic, easy cleanup, last forever, and kids are crazy about them. I got some for DD when she was 6, and she instantly became the most popular kid on the block. When you're done with them, toss them in the garden. They are good for your plants. https://www.amazon.com/Jelly-M.....rbles (Also, it's science!)

Pretty (and cheap) shower curtains to cover the dining room table, kitchen floor, under the bin, or wherever the crafts are happening.

Cookie sheets! This is such a game changer. Projects must fit into a large cookie sheet. Small bits can't roll off the table, glitter is contained in one place, glue projects can be picked up and set aside to dry. Invest in real cookie sheets, not disposables. Let each kid paint their name on their own sheet. Then you can keep track of who's project is who's.

Insist that outside toys stay outside. End of discussion. You're bored? Go do something else.

If your kids are climbing the walls, put them in rain boots, rain coats, give them umbrellas, and then you all go for a walk. See who can jump in the most puddles. This is best to do right before bath time, so that when you get home you can strip everyone down by the door. Letting DD "puddle jump" was one of her all time favorite things in the whole world, and I got great pictures.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:59 am
I only allow crafting, painting, kinetic sand and play dough at the kitchen table. I usually put a disposable plastic table cloth on the table (sometimes the activity needs a smoother surface and that doesn’t work) . This way the mess is big, but it’s in one place and cleanup takes a little bit of effort.
I also need to know that I psychologically can handle a mess , before any activity is allowed. Some day I’m simply not up to it and the answer is “Not today”.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 12:39 pm
Get ready for mess, supervise and get involved yourself so you can set boundaries when things start getting hefker and wild, and expect to have more clean up than you're probably comfortable with. All for the sake of giving them a great time :-)

amother
Celeste

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 1:12 pm
So, I’m the type of parent that just doesn’t allow messy crafts at home. No playdough, sand, glitter… etc in my house. I just can’t deal with the mess. Messy Crafts are either done outside only or at school. Also, messy art craft supplies I usually just give to my kid’s school so the kids can make the mess there.

I allow crayons, markers, glue, paper, stickers… but that’s about it. And even stickers my kids get on the floor sometimes. Can't Believe It

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 7:47 pm
And this is why I've stopped buying these things as I'm just so tired of the clean up. Yes the kids love it, but before long it ends up everywhere. You have to know what you can handle. I'm not ashamed to admit I don't allow my kids to do messy play at home. They have plenty of toys and I allow them extended bath play.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:30 pm
it's the nature of the child. my sister was like that, when she'd bead they'd be everywhere. when I play with clay as a kid, you never saw a hint of it anyplae.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:55 pm
I'm surprised no one mentioned baking yet... What I did last time was start really early like 7:30am so I still had koach to remain calm or my son is finally a little bigger. Confused

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Every time I give them something fun and creative to do it ends up being a huge mess and I end up losing it..
I used to blame it on them being little, but by now they are school age and it still happens.
For example, I let them play with kinetic sand today and it is literally all over my house. I am losing my mind from the mess.

Or I bought all kinds of craft items, googly eyes, feathers, stickers etc and it just ends up everywhere and a huge huge mess.

Am I the only one this happens to? Any advice?

Never. Get. Kinetic. Sand.
It’s worse than glitter
Anything even slightly messy only happens in the summer out on the deck. I know my limits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children