Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Camp Bais Yaakov vs Camp BRC?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 12:06 pm
Anyone have knowledge of both camps? pros and cons of each?
Thank you!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 12:30 pm
Brc is cheaper by a thousand dollars and simpler don’t need all the name brands and more yeshivish than bais yaakov

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 4:49 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
Brc is cheaper by a thousand dollars and simpler don’t need all the name brands and more yeshivish than bais yaakov

thank you , that was very helpful!!

anyone else?

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:04 pm
BRC is mainstream yeshivish, in town BY.

CBY has more diversity

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:53 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:

I don’t think this is true. My daughter went to CBY last year and it was very not name brand type.

Yes, it is more diverse, less “Lakewood” than BRC

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:07 pm
What does BRC stand for?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:09 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
What does BRC stand for?

Bnos Ruach Chaim

Its a cheaper camp the Perlstein family of monsey/lkwd run in memory of their father.

First half is girls. Second half boys. (Most years)

Simpler Yeshivish lkwd or Chaim Berlin family type.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:14 pm
Brc also has out of towners Cleveland, Detroit, Montreal, Baltimore, Toronto and a lot of Lakewood girls

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
I don’t think this is true. My daughter went to CBY last year and it was very not name brand type.

Yes, it is more diverse, less “Lakewood” than BRC

Did she go second half? Someone told me that first half is more in-town brand name type and second half is usually more out of town type. Is that true?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did she go second half? Someone told me that first half is more in-town brand name type and second half is usually more out of town type. Is that true?

Nope, she went first half and it was definitely not like that.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think it is true to some extent.

I've sent three DD's to CBY.

I also think CBY has diversity. And if your DD isn't the type to be looking for it, she will find lots of simple, nice, yeshivish or JPF friends who are not into brand names, and this is true both halves.

And if she's the type that gravitates to the cool kids, she will find them.

Girls tend to befriend like personalities, interests, etc....and CBY has diversity, so there are several types within the camp.

BTW I have one DD who is more chilled in personality, and she preferred 2nd half. My other two like first half, but mostly because that's when their friends went.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:48 pm
I have kids in both. CBY first half is the more diverse group. That's when the "hockers" and out-of-towers come, although majority of the girls are yeshivish. Second half is more low-key and very yeshivish girls, primarily Lakewood girls so not really diverse. None of my kids needed name brands because the girls are mostly not so into clothing.
BRC crowd is mostly in-town Lakewood type where you feel most comfortable if you fit in, just like in all the Lakewood high schools. That will manifest itself differently with each group of girls, and with some it means having the right clothes. There are a handful of out-of-town or Brooklyn (non-Lakewood) kids but nowhere near as diverse as CBY.

Both camps have excellent programs. BRC's asking price is about 1K less than CBY, however everyone I know gets a scholarship to CBY so don't hesitate to ask.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 5:19 pm
Thank you to all who responded.

How does one go about requesting a scholarship? Is it on the registration form?

Also, is there a registration fee for camps?

Thank you!

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you to all who responded.

How does one go about requesting a scholarship? Is it on the registration form?

Also, is there a registration fee for camps?

Thank you!

Yes, they ask if you plan to apply for a scholarship on the registration form. There is no separate registration fee. You give a deposit to hold your dd's slot and that goes towards camp tuition. They will send you the scholarship form once dd is registered. It's not invasive like a school scholarship. They ask a few questions (one is how much you think you can pay) which you answer yourself and then they let you know. No proof of income, none of that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children