Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Help me make challah in a bosch

mamaof2

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 1:19 pm
My SIL got me a bosch as a present, and I really wanna make yummy challah.
Ive never made challah before but would love to make it often.
Is there a step by step recipe on how to make challah in a bosch?

I would be forever grateful =) Smile Very Happy Very Happy

Pamela

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:03 pm
Sure!! Its simple
Use the metal bowl with the dough hook, not the plastic.
Place the yeast and warm water in the bowl until it poofs. Follow your recipe for remaining ing. Mix for 7-10 minutes. I like to transfer the dough roght away to a challah bowl and cover. Rise. Braid. Rise. Brush with egg wash and topping optional. Bake. Ze hu

Last edited by Pamela on Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pamela

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:03 pm
Check out kosher.com. They have many delicious challah recipes

crema

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 5:06 pm
WATER CHALLAH RECIPE

5 lbs. high gluten, unbleached wheat flour (not whole wheat)
4 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. yeast (I use Gefen)
1 Tbs. sugar, for proofing yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 1/2 cups unflavored seltzer water, room temp.
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup Xylitol or sugar
1 cup Safflower oil or Canola
2 Tbs. sea salt or Himalayan salt (not table or Kosher salt)
Shortening
1 egg plus 1 tsp. water for egg wash
Opt. Sesame/poppy seeds for topping

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Proof yeast by adding the 2 1/2 cups warm water in the mixer, add yeast, 1 Tbs. sugar
When bubbly add in this order on a slow speed: seltzer water, 1/2 of the 5 lbs. bag of flour, honey, sugar, oil, salt, and mix until everything looks incorporated, then add rest of the flour and mix for about 3 to 5 minutes on a higher speed.

2) Cover with saran wrap and let rest for 30 to 40 minutes in the mixer (be sure to take off the top pieces of the mixer, because if you let the dough rise too much the top pieces will get stuck to the dough).

3) Slightly punch down the dough, replace the top pieces of the mixer, then mix for a few minutes to help loosen the dough from the mixing paddle.

4) Grease a large bowl with shortening (butter flavored or plain), or use cooking spray.

5) Place dough onto a lightly floured board and shape into a round. Plop the dough into the bowl, then turn it over so it coats the top and bottom of the dough with shortening/oil. Cover with saran wrap or a plastic bag and let rise until double.

6) To speed up the rising time you can fill another slightly smaller bowl with very hot tap water and place it underneath the bowl of dough (the water should not touch the upper bowl).

7) Take the challah and say the bracha***. Punch down the dough and apportion and braid your challahs. It's best to flatten each piece with a rolling pin before shaping the strands of dough to prevent large pockets of bubbles in the dough. As you are braiding pieces and shaping, keep the unused challah covered in your bowl.

8) Grease or spray with oil the challah pans. The challah dough should be about 2/3rds the way up in the pan to allow for it to rise double. Cover by tenting with plastic bags (like Gourmet Glatt's bags, cut on one side to be able to tent the bag over the challah) being careful not to let the bags touch the dough. Let dough rise until double. You can also let the some of the pans of challah rise in the oven with a pan of hot water on the bottom of the oven.

9) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush each challah with the egg wash and top with sesame/poppy seeds if you wish. Bake for 15 minutes on the center rack, then reduce the temp to 350 and bake another 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of the challahs.

10) Remove from oven and cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before placing in a plastic bag for storage. They freeze well. I keep them in double plastic bags in the freezer. The dough can be frozen also. Apportion dough into dbl. plastic bags, take out of freezer the night before baking and thaw in refrigerator. Shape and let rise to double, etc.

*This is a lengthy process, but well worth the time and effort. Your challahs will be like the bakery water challah that is light and airy and so delicious! If you like it sweeter, add more sugar (not honey)
**I don't have the metal bowl, just the plastic one, and my challah and mixer are still great and working.
***If you never took challah before, make sure to ask your rav, because the piece of challah that you take should be completely burnt or thrown out, and there are halachas about how to do that.

crema

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 5:14 pm
TANTA LAYLA'S CHALLAH

5 lbs. bread flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tbs. salt
1/3 cup dry yeast
6 eggs
1 cup oil
4 1/2 cups warm water

Proof yeast, add ingredients and mix, let rise until double in a greased bowl, covered.
Mix, take the challah, braid challahs, let rise until double.
Use egg wash and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size of the challah.
Remove and let sit for a few minutes and then cool completely on racks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads