Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toxic Synovitis Experience

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:35 am
Did your child ever have this? How long did it take to pass?
I'm trying to see if I should pursue my toddler's limp more, since it's almost two weeks and she still has a slight limp after nearly two weeks of synovitis (from not walking at all though).

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:47 am
Hah. 2 weeks is nothing..
My 9 year old is limping for 6 weeks already .
Ive done x- rays , blood work, now Im following up next week with an orthopedic.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
Hah. 2 weeks is nothing..
My 9 year old is limping for 6 weeks already .
Ive done x- rays , blood work, now Im following up next week with an orthopedic.

Any other symptoms? Are you still under the impression that it's synovitis?? I'm going off my mind, can't imagine how you must feel!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:16 am
I would keep looking for an active infection. Many of these post infectious inflammatory syndromes are actually caused by chronic infections that never really went away. Strep, Lyme, mycoplasma and some others are extremely common for causing this.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:26 am
For the nine-year-old, did they test for Perthes disease?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I would keep looking for an active infection. Many of these post infectious inflammatory syndromes are actually caused by chronic infections that never really went away. Strep, Lyme, mycoplasma and some others are extremely common for causing this.

Even if blood tests all came back perfect? Strep culture negative.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:41 am
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:

I was actually going to post about this, looking for help.
Child got a throat culture done, 3 weeks ago, on a Thursday aft. They keep the culture for 48 hours and called me back sunday morning it was positive.
We took the med. It didnt help, the xray came back fine too.

The Dr. Mentioned lyme disease and strep in the blood but the bloodwork came back fine.

Any other ideas why child is still limping?

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:44 am

They didnt test for it and I actually never even heard of it..
I will ask my childs Dr. About it..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 12:08 pm

Wouldn't that show up on xray?

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:06 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
They didnt test for it and I actually never even heard of it..
I will ask my childs Dr. About it..

Update, My son actually has perthes.
Im hoping it will go away on its own. And I scheduled an appointment elsewhere for a second opinion.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:06 am

What was your experience with this?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:19 am
anyone else has experience with toxic synovitis?

I'm going off my mind. It's three weeks and the limp is still here. I took blood tests again but everything's perfect. The doctor's (orthopedist and pediatrician) are still insisting it's a bad case of synovitis and they've seen plenty of kids that take this long to recover.
Orthopedist claims in his 30 years of practice he hasn't seen a perthes case in under 2.

Can anyone tell me if they had such a situation? one dr suggested physical therapy as the muscles might have been weakened. Any experience with this??

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 6:30 am
Pls pls pls check for Lyme with an llmd, u need specialized testing the standard testing has incredibly high rates of false negatives. Read the book “chronic” about how this explosion of post infectious autoimmune or auto inflammatory diseases is very often stealth chronic infections hiding out and wreaking havoc. It could also be strep, I don’t know which bloodwork was perfect but I’ve had drs so many times tell me bloodwork was normal when in fact strep titers were elevated because “all kids are constantly exposed to strep and have high titers”.

Either way, whether this is an ongoing infection or post infectious, anti inflammatories can only help. I would put my kid on dye free ibuprophen, an anti histamine (histamine is involved in most inflammatory processes), herbs like turmeric, boswellia, supplements like magnesium, epsom salt baths, glutathione, Chinese skullcap, cats claw, and remove inflammatory foods from his diet.

The reason you don’t want to stick to just anti inflammatories is because if there is an infection going on you want to treat that.

Did you get a copy of the bloodwork?

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:55 am
Which blood work should I be looking at?
I can get a copy of my childs blood work..

womanwithaplan

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:04 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Pls pls pls check for Lyme with an llmd, u need specialized testing the standard testing has incredibly high rates of false negatives. Read the book “chronic” about how this explosion of post infectious autoimmune or auto inflammatory diseases is very often stealth chronic infections hiding out and wreaking havoc. It could also be strep, I don’t know which bloodwork was perfect but I’ve had drs so many times tell me bloodwork was normal when in fact strep titers were elevated because “all kids are constantly exposed to strep and have high titers”.

Either way, whether this is an ongoing infection or post infectious, anti inflammatories can only help. I would put my kid on dye free ibuprophen, an anti histamine (histamine is involved in most inflammatory processes), herbs like turmeric, boswellia, supplements like magnesium, epsom salt baths, glutathione, Chinese skullcap, cats claw, and remove inflammatory foods from his diet.

The reason you don’t want to stick to just anti inflammatories is because if there is an infection going on you want to treat that.

Can you PM me? Dealing with a sick child whose numbers for lyme are elevated. Desperate for good options where to treat (tri state area). You sound knowledgeable and I would really appreciate some advice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:30 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

Thank you for your informative post! My doctors keep on dismissing lyme since I'm in israel and there's hardly if any cases of lyme, but I was in NY for three weeks chagim time. I got a copy of the bloodwork and forwarded to three other doctors and all agreed it looks good. The only thing that was a drop out of range was the uric acid.

Anti inflammatory diet sounds like an idea... except that this a young child with picky habits already:( What is the chinese skullcap, cat's claw and glutathione??

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your informative post! My doctors keep on dismissing lyme since I'm in israel and there's hardly if any cases of lyme, but I was in NY for three weeks chagim time. I got a copy of the bloodwork and forwarded to three other doctors and all agreed it looks good. The only thing that was a drop out of range was the uric acid.

Anti inflammatory diet sounds like an idea... except that this a young child with picky habits already:( What is the chinese skullcap, cat's claw and glutathione??
What about covid? Covid can do this too. Especially if there is underlying mycoplasma.

Get a copy of the results yourself. 3 drs looking through the same lens will see the same thing. Did they even look at strep titers?

Is your child home with you? I find it’s so much easier to make changes when they’re young and not with people who eat things they can’t have all the time. It’s very doable. Might take her a few days to get over the “withdrawal” but she will actually probably be less picky after that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics