Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help I love food
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:17 pm
I get so much enjoyment from fresh hot choc chip cookies and potato kugel and pizza oh and chocolate the list can go on I have a family of big kids that I can’t say just don’t make it or bring into house.. and if I take one bite the next thing I know I eat 10 cookies when I’m trying to be good! How do I get healthy I really want to loose 20ibs! I used to be able to eat without gaining and then got older and it’s all downhill Sad any words of wisdom when food really gives me enjoyment

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:21 pm
Stop using language like "trying to be good" when you mean "trying to restrict calories." You're judging yourself for having normal human appetite.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:27 pm
But I eat wayyy to much like 4 slices of pizza that’s not ok ;(

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:28 pm
Are you me?

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:29 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Stop using language like "trying to be good" when you mean "trying to restrict calories." You're judging yourself for having normal human appetite.

Exactly!!

There is nothing wrong with liking food or enjoying food or getting pleasure from food.

You are not “bad” for eating something you like that gives you pleasure.

The idea of intuitive eating is (to put it simply):

—there are no “good” foods or “bad” foods
—When you really pay attention to your body and eat only what feels good, you will anturally stop eating well before the point of it being unhealthy. If you know you can have pizza whenever you want, cake whenever you want, etc, these foods become less alluring and you are satisfied with much less. Overeating does NOT feel good physically, mentally or emotionally.

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But I eat wayyy to much like 4 slices of pizza that’s not ok ;(

I've never eaten 4 slices of pizza and I need to lose 30lbs, you sound like your metabolism is pretty fast!

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:02 pm
I can’t say I have ever eaten 4 slices of pizza but I can relate to that love of food! I think in your case the only way is to make a major life change that will be painful in the beginning but something you can adjust to. For example- become more calorie conscious. Decide on a realistic and healthy number of calories that you will stick to in a day. Write everything down! It’s one thing to just gobble down 12 cookies mindlessly. It’s a whole nother thing when you’re calculating 150x12!

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:24 pm
My approach would be just the opposite.

Take away the idea that there's a "right" or "wrong" amount of pizza to eat. The right amount is the amount that your body says it needs. You could eat 4 slices or 10 slices or 6 pies if you want.

When you eat your pizza, give yourself time and space to really savor each bite. Try to feel the flavors, the textures. What do you like about this slice of pizza? Is it the right balance of cheesiness, spices, crispiness, etc? Or maybe it's a little soggy for your taste, or it's cooled off a little too much, or the cheese is sliding off.

After you finish the first slice, give yourself a break for a few minutes. Do you want another slice? Or maybe you want a glass of water or some salad. You're free to have another slice if you want it. You're just giving yourself a break to figure out what your body wants next. If eating a second slice feels right and you're still hungry for it, go for it!! Or maybe there's something else your body would rather have next.

If you keep doing this every time you eat, you will become more in tuned with your body's cues and have less guilt and shame around what you eat. And eventually you will be naturally satisfied with 1-2 slices and maybe not even finish the whole slice. Not by lecturing yourself or shaming yourself, but just by listening to your body and giving it what it wants and needs.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:27 pm
Certain foods give us a very real chemical fix, similar to drugs. Gluten and dairy attach to opioid receptors in the brain and give us a mild opiate like high. Sugar and refined starches give us a dopamine and endorphin fix. For some people these are real addictions and need to be treated as such, ie, complete abstinence.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:29 pm
Four slices of pizza satisfies me and I’m full for a few hours. I am happy with that!

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:31 pm
Keep all unhealthy food out of the house.

But BUY yourself one portion treat every day - a slice of pizza, an ice cream cone, a piece of kugel, etc.

That way you don't feel deprived because you can look forward to your daily treat.

But you don't have a container of ice cream in your freezer driving you crazy.

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:32 pm
I feel you . When I was younger I ate everything and was very skinny. Even after the births of my older kids. These days it's downhill like you said and I need to lost weight too but I love to eat . So hard for me to stick to a plan or get off sugar

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:57 pm
I am afraid you will have to start portion control for self and family,
make more salads and less other stuff

I have a friend whose household sounds similar to what you are describing.

is not healthy and its not good.

Find satisfaction from other stuff, stay away from the kitchen except when need to prep / serve/eat
Occupy your time and mind in other areas/ interests

take walks, family walks, spouse walks, ladies walks -
attend a dance class, a yoga class, aerobics -
Drink water, listen to music

Long term lots of food is really not a good habbit

feeling like you need some kugel - go for carrots and celery sticks. control is rewarding. wedight and good habits is rewarding too!

We live a be in control lifestyle, and it feels good. (at least for us).

have a nutritionist help you plan a healthy menu?

invest in good lifestyle. its rewarding!

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 12:04 am
I think intuitive eating might help you. You learn to stop eating when your full. No food is off limits so it takes away the excitement of all the “fun foods”
It’s really hard though to implement I tuitve eating, it takes a really long time to practice it fully and get the hang of it.
In the beginning you might feel like you are non stop partying and not eating any real foods, but eventually you learn to listen you your body and know what it needs and when to stop.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 12:39 am
I just want to tell you that I ate myself to 315 pounds. I’m maintaining a 115 pound loss. I’m not always happy with how I eat every day although I do have hard boundaries about what I do and don’t eat.

For me, eating real food in as close to its natural form as possible makes a difference. I still love food and ONLY eat food I love. I just don’t eat some other foods I love. And I’m ok with that because I ate my lifetime supply AND yours already.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 2:44 am
When you get used to not overeating and listening to your body when it's full - it feels really gross and awful to overeat.

Took me a few weeks to teach myself and afterwards it became easy. I didn't restrict what I ate - just how much. I didn't allow myself to eat after I was full.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 2:20 pm
I think this is such an important thread.

I think it's important to acknowledge that food is delicious and that the number of calories that are healthy for a person to eat doesn't really "allow" them to eat as much delicious food as they might want.

Even without restricting calories.

I love reeses peanut butter cups and I could easily eat an entire day's calories of them - and then still want breakfast lunch and supper.

For me personally, it's important to realize that even without dieting - if I want to eat a semi normal amount of calories - then I can't also have all the chocolate and cookies and cake that I want. And I love those foods.

mum22

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 2:25 pm
andrea levy wrote:
And I’m ok with that because I ate my lifetime supply AND yours already.

LOL I love this! “Sorry darling, I know you want pizza, but you’ve had enough to last you a lifetime!”

I totally relate to this thread, I do try and remember how awful I will feel after eating pizza and cookies.
Just not worth it.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 2:39 pm
mum22 wrote:
LOL I love this! “Sorry darling, I know you want pizza, but you’ve had enough to last you a lifetime!”

I totally relate to this thread, I do try and remember how awful I will feel after eating pizza and cookies.
Just not worth it.

There is truth to this though.

The longer I live the less exciting it is to eat pizza or cake. BTDT. I can think of more interesting things to do.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 2:39 pm
We love how food makes us feel. We are wired that way because we are wired for survival in times of scarce resources. The more caloric and easily turned into energy a food is, the better it makes us feel. I think staring this fact in the face is the only way to outsmart it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise