Home

Is there a non-traditional seminary in EY?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


ShaynaMalka




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 4:08 pm
My daughter has been to several seminary presentations at her school but has not seen any that appeal to her. She doesn’t want to be in a beit midrash all day. She wants to learn, but also wants to be outdoors, not in a classroom, and she doesn’t want to feel like she’s “in school” 10 hours a day. Modern Orthodox would be the best fit. Does this exist?
Thanks!
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 4:15 pm
Yes. My friends sister in law went to Torah v Avodah. She said it was a mix of learning and volunteering.
Back to top

Elfrida




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 4:23 pm
She might want to look into this

https://toratchessed.com/
Back to top

ShaynaMalka




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:54 pm
Thank you for the suggestions. Are there any that are not volunteer based? She wants the focus to be more about living frum in Israel, Israeli culture, and not too much textual study.
Back to top

s1




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:59 pm
I have heard of a sem called Emuna v’Omanut which has lots of different artistic courses
Back to top

amother




Natural
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 7:26 pm
Perhaps, instead of seminary she wants some kind of gap year program on a dati kibbutz. I've no idea if such a thing exists, but perhaps her school would be able to help, or try to research on line.

Maybe one of these Bnei Akiva programs would suit her, if that is the right hashkafa.

https://www.worldbneiakiva.org.....shara
Back to top

amother




Forsythia
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 7:46 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Yes. My friends sister in law went to Torah v Avodah. She said it was a mix of learning and volunteering.

TVA is a mix between 80% class and 20% experiential.
Class weeks, they are in the Beis with chevrutas until late at night.

What is she looking for bit I. Terms of a program and haskafickly? What is her background?
The schools are recruiting now and I believe applications are due Dec. 1, but there are always exceptions.
Back to top

challahchallah




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:44 pm
What does she envision spending her day doing? You’ve mentioned she wants limited time learning and something not volunteer based, but it might help us come up with ideas if you/she could articulate what she would like to be doing instead.
Back to top

ShaynaMalka




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:05 pm
She’s never been in a frum environment other than a summer at Chabad camp. She feels most comfortable in a M.O. or Dati atmosphere and wants to experience that in Israel for her gap year. She absolutely wants to learn more and study but by experience and not just textual learning. She struggles a little with school but loves the way Chabad teaches. I want to support her in her embrace of a frum life by giving her this gift.
Back to top

amother




Steelblue
 

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:51 am
If she likes the Chabad approach and feels comfortable with them, there's a Chabad seminary in Tzfas, and possibly others elsewhere in the country, that may be worth looking into. It's likely not going to be ultra-intense academic in-depth learning, and Tzfas is a beautiful city. She could also maybe work with Livnot U'lehibanot there to broaden her experiences in Israel.
Back to top

amother




Forsythia
 

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:57 am
How does she/you feel about a school where not everyone is frum and SS/SK. Will it make her more comfortable and elevate her to grow and help others grow, or will se be negatively influenced and justify not being as shomer mitzvot as she would otherwise?
(For some it is very different to be the frum one among not frum people as opposed to the frum among “frum” who are cool and laxxed. )

Would Bar Elan Experience be a good fit for her?
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 10:12 am
Is she looking for seminary? Or for a program where she can live and learn in Israel?

If the latter, and if she's willing to do co-ed, what about something like Aardvark? https://aardvarkisrael.com/about/

The kids are not tzniut. Some keep kosher (and are set up by the program to keep kosher). Others don't.

They also have a year of service. https://aardvarkisrael.com/masa/

I don't know much about Young Judea, but its similar. https://www.youngjudaea.org/ye.....D_BwE

And, of course, there's Bar Ilan.

Check out MASA for more ideas. https://www.masaisrael.org/
Back to top

amother




Mistyrose
 

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:16 am
Did she grow up frum? If not I would suggest Meorot Yerushalayim it is geared toward students from community day schools and public schools lots of NCSYers etc. Noone mentioned Machon Mayan lots of their alumnae go on to do shirut Leumi and make Aliyah but if your goal for her is to grow in her yiddishkeit you should know that most of their students aren't Shomer Shabbos (even though they claim they are). Ardvark is one long drinking party. The Chabad program in Tsfat is great but it is less kiruv Chabad oriented and more "regular" Chabad oriented sometimes when the students that are mikareved through Chabad get there it is too much for them.
Back to top

amother




Forsythia
 

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 2:39 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Did she grow up frum? If not I would suggest Meorot Yerushalayim it is geared toward students from community day schools and public schools lots of NCSYers etc. Noone mentioned Machon Mayan lots of their alumnae go on to do shirut Leumi and make Aliyah but if your goal for her is to grow in her yiddishkeit you should know that most of their students aren't Shomer Shabbos (even though they claim they are). Ardvark is one long drinking party. The Chabad program in Tsfat is great but it is less kiruv Chabad oriented and more "regular" Chabad oriented sometimes when the students that are mikareved through Chabad get there it is too much for them.

Your statement about MM is completely off base. Do you have any first hand knowledge about what you speak? You are wrong and spreading LH.
I actually did not mention it until further information is provided about where she is and where she is going because it actually catered to a very specific kind of girl who is looking for a well rounded Torah experience. Yes, there are some less than stellar eggs-which is what you have at most schools and is sometimes happens when you have some Kiruv (at our NCSY, some the yeshiva kids who come are the ones who are slumming and actually bring down the ruchnius -it is not the public school ones, and some of the yeshiva kids are there because they are interested in Kiruv and sharing their love of Torah Judaism.)
I personally know many MM current students and graduates and what you say is just incorrect.
Back to top

amother




Cadetblue
 

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 3:22 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Perhaps, instead of seminary she wants some kind of gap year program on a dati kibbutz. I've no idea if such a thing exists, but perhaps her school would be able to help, or try to research on line.

Maybe one of these Bnei Akiva programs would suit her, if that is the right hashkafa.

https://www.worldbneiakiva.org.....shara

This program is amazing! I know many people who did this and loved it, they have different activities such as work in kibbutz, midrasha, volunteer and leadership classes. Each year is a little different but it's a great program!
Back to top

amother




Wandflower
 

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 1:46 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
Your statement about MM is completely off base. Do you have any first hand knowledge about what you speak? You are wrong and spreading LH.
I actually did not mention it until further information is provided about where she is and where she is going because it actually catered to a very specific kind of girl who is looking for a well rounded Torah experience. Yes, there are some less than stellar eggs-which is what you have at most schools and is sometimes happens when you have some Kiruv (at our NCSY, some the yeshiva kids who come are the ones who are slumming and actually bring down the ruchnius -it is not the public school ones, and some of the yeshiva kids are there because they are interested in Kiruv and sharing their love of Torah Judaism.)
I personally know many MM current students and graduates and what you say is just incorrect.


I second this about Machon Maayan. A relative of mine went there and she and her friends (many of whom I have met) are bright and growing girls that are firmly shomer Shabbos.
Back to top

ShaynaMalka




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:08 pm
I’m sorry for the delay, things have been quite hectic.

To answer the questions, my daughter was not raised frum, but she has always gone to a Jewish school and she sees her path as SS/SK. I am fully supportive of this. Machon Maayan looks like a good fit, that will be one of her choices.

We saw aardvark but then quickly decided against jt because it didn’t seem like she would get much out of it in terms of spiritual connection and growing in her Judaism. This seminary expense is a huge sacrifice for me and I want it to be worth it for her, kwim?

Other things she wants: a diverse group of girls from different areas, not all NYers, not all Ashki either. She wants some classroom time but not all day and no tests. She has ADHD and learns better with experiences than reading/listening to someone talk for hours. She also wants time to explore Israel.
Back to top

amother




Forsythia
 

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 9:36 pm
Curious about other options. What are her other choices?
Back to top

ShaynaMalka




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 10:07 pm
She was considering Baer Miriam but was afraid it would have too much studying. She also looked into Moriah but not sure about that. She also was considering Meorot Yerushalayim, but if I’m being honest, she was a little hesitant about it. Coming from a non-frum background, we don’t have much to draw from or people to ask about it.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Which Jewish songs come from non-jewish songs?
by amother
49 Yesterday at 11:58 pm View last post
Non ticking battery powered alarm clock
by einkorn
2 Tue, Jan 18 2022, 7:52 pm View last post
Jewish books non-fiction
by amother
5 Tue, Jan 18 2022, 11:03 am View last post
Need ideas of suppers very traditional heimish type
by amother
61 Sat, Jan 15 2022, 8:26 pm View last post
by zaq
Best non dairy formula
by amother
2 Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:00 am View last post