Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Relatively healthy, kid friendly ideas

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:39 pm
All of my kids have become increasingly picky. For those that say, eat what I make or don’t eat- that doesn’t work. They will Nosh on unhealthy things and in general be cranky. They need real food. They like Shnitzel, meatballs and spaghetti is a hit with one and a big no no with another. They like grilled oyster steak $$$ for a weekday dinner. They don’t really like grilled chicken. Help!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:05 pm
Fabulous wrote:
All of my kids have become increasingly picky. For those that say, eat what I make or don’t eat- that doesn’t work. They will Nosh on unhealthy things and in general be cranky. They need real food. They like Shnitzel, meatballs and spaghetti is a hit with one and a big no no with another. They like grilled oyster steak $$$ for a weekday dinner. They don’t really like grilled chicken. Help!!

The one that doesn't like meatballs, does he like plain baked meatballs (like a meat patty) and plain salted spaghetti pasta?
I've baked the meatballs for 20 minutes and then dropped some into bubbling sauce and left others plain. Same for spaghetti.

amf

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:14 pm
Would they go for skewers instead of regular grilled chicken? I find the smaller it is the more kids go for it. Baked chicken fingers instead of schnitzel, shredded chicken sliders, etc

May

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:23 pm
Would they go for any of these ideas:

Tacos with fixings?
Scrambled eggs with french fries?
Tuna patties or casserole?
Hamburgers?
Falafel with fixings?
Cheese quesadillas?

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 6:26 pm
Some of the things our kids like are ground turkey tacos, pulled chicken wraps, turkey burgers, corn on the cob, sliced roasted potatoes, and baked salmon with couscous.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The one that doesn't like meatballs, does he like plain baked meatballs (like a meat patty) and plain salted spaghetti pasta?
I've baked the meatballs for 20 minutes and then dropped some into bubbling sauce and left others plain. Same for spaghetti.

He still likes flavor and no he’s not a fan of plain noodles. He only likes macaroni and cheese and only certain types at that

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:25 pm
amf wrote:
Would they go for skewers instead of regular grilled chicken? I find the smaller it is the more kids go for it. Baked chicken fingers instead of schnitzel, shredded chicken sliders, etc

Skewers is an option. I tried the baked ones and only one kid eats it. What’s shredded chicken sliders?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:27 pm
May wrote:
Would they go for any of these ideas:

Tacos with fixings?
Scrambled eggs with french fries?
Tuna patties or casserole?
Hamburgers?
Falafel with fixings?
Cheese quesadillas?

So tacos were a go to for a long time but I tbh k they are sick do it. Eggs used to go but haven’t for a while. Tuna- nope. They don’t like my hamburgers- not homemade or store bought on grill, only fast food. Falafel only if deep fried and only sometimes. How is cheese quesadillas different than pizza?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:28 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
Some of the things our kids like are ground turkey tacos, pulled chicken wraps, turkey burgers, corn on the cob, sliced roasted potatoes, and baked salmon with couscous.

Yeah, no. They don’t like potatoes or rice or couscous or salmon. They do like corn on the cob. That’s about it.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:30 pm
I really am a decent/good cook but I’m at my wits end. I think they would be happy with just fast food every day but that’s not happening, so how can I feed them? 😫😫

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:33 pm
Fabulous wrote:
He still likes flavor and no he’s not a fan of plain noodles. He only likes macaroni and cheese and only certain types at that

Meatballs are still delicious without sauce with the onion, garlic and salt mixed in. I was just wondering if he just doesn't like the sauce.
I hope you find some good answers here!

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:35 pm
My kids favorite is pretzel chicken, prob the only meal they all eat nicely

https://overtimecook.com/2013/.....auce/

What about chicken on the bone? Will they eat that? Mine like to hold the drumsticks in a napkin and eat like that..especially crumb chicken

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:39 pm
Fabulous wrote:
So tacos were a go to for a long time but I tbh k they are sick do it. Eggs used to go but haven’t for a while. Tuna- nope. They don’t like my hamburgers- not homemade or store bought on grill, only fast food. Falafel only if deep fried and only sometimes. How is cheese quesadillas different than pizza?

What sort of fast food burgers do they like?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:41 pm
Sloppy joes or chili?

Shakshuka?

Pulled brisket pizza?

jfk92

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:47 pm
Things that my kids eat

Tilapia - I slice and batter myself. Can easily be done w egg and breadcrumbs like shnitzel.
Salmon- patties/burgers the type of vegetables you add can really change the flavors.ps same for bean or chickpea burger. My kids dont like corn but fof your case id say start w corn, peppers, and sweet/potatoe or carrots.
Chicken- drumsticks w bbq sauce (just a little bit to put on and broil at the end), whole legs or thighs w bread and vegetable stuffing. Dark meat cutlets w shwarma spices, white meat- vegetable stir fry.
Beef- beef and brocolli, slow cooked minute steaks w potatoes and onion. Luckily my kids do like meatballs but you can try arayas or beef with wild rice. Or stuffing vegetables like zucchini or peppers, and cabbage. Also you can see how theyll do w a corned beef or pastrami. One of my kids loves orange maple glazed cornbeef.
Starchy sides- quinoa, buckwheat, farfel/couscous-toasted first so its not mushy. sweet potatoe/butternut squash- roasted or in kugel from, Brown rice mix (different nuts and even cranberries are so delicious) and various style potatoes- theres so many ways to make them perhaps one is suitable?
Roasted vegetables can be a hit. Esp if tossed in a little olive oil and for sweeter veg some honey and garlic for more savory.
Are all eggs out? I will say you can pack a bunch of into a muffin. Even a savory egg and cheese muffin w some vegetables in there too.

If you can tell me a bit more about what they do like I could be of better help.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:48 pm
I wouldn't consider shnitzel unhealthy. The protein is there, it's fine if there's a bit of fat. Maybe buy a healthier oil to feel better about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics