Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Anyone I can talk to to see if my business idea makes sense?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 8:47 pm
I came up with an idea for a business. I haven't done anything with it yet as we're tight on funds and I don't want to invest money into it if it's a terrible idea. I know there are several Jewish mentoring organizations (such as JWE and The Jewish Entrepreneur) but these seem to be geared towards businesses that have already started. Is there any organization out there that listens to an idea and gives an opinion of whether they think it's worth pursuing at all?

frieda967

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:03 pm
Look up epi networking.org

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:28 pm
frieda967 wrote:
Look up epi networking.org

Thank you. I saw that previously and it seems to be the same idea as the others I've mentioned

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:28 pm
You can try Maurice stein or abbey Wolin

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 9:40 pm
My husband went to epi for help with a business idea a few years back. Nothing ended up coming of it though.

Can you run it by friends and family?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:59 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
You can try Maurice stein or abbey Wolin

Thanks, I'll look into them

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:02 pm
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
My husband went to epi for help with a business idea a few years back. Nothing ended up coming of it though.

Can you run it by friends and family?

Was it just a business idea (meaning he didn't start anything yet)? When you say nothing came of it, did he get in touch with anyone and they advised him not to pursue it or it didn't go that far?

I wish I had friends/family who I can talk to but they don't really have the "business" mind

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Was it just a business idea (meaning he didn't start anything yet)? When you say nothing came of it, did he get in touch with anyone and they advised him not to pursue it or it didn't go that far?

I wish I had friends/family who I can talk to but they don't really have the "business" mind

They were very nice and helpful. But dh really went looking for ideas and the ideas they gave him were not a good fit.
So I’d say definitely try them.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 11:31 pm
Even if it's a revolutionary idea, could it fit into a type of business category? If so, you might benefit from networking with successful self-made people in that field.

I've found that many business professionals are happy to sit down for coffee and give general advice. They also might be able to point you to someone who is good for mentoring/resources.

(One thing I'd say be a bit careful before freely sharing your idea if you think it's the type that someone might steal.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
They were very nice and helpful. But dh really went looking for ideas and the ideas they gave him were not a good fit.
So I’d say definitely try them.

Thank you, I think I will!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 9:31 am
WhatFor wrote:
Even if it's a revolutionary idea, could it fit into a type of business category? If so, you might benefit from networking with successful self-made people in that field.

I've found that many business professionals are happy to sit down for coffee and give general advice. They also might be able to point you to someone who is good for mentoring/resources.

(One thing I'd say be a bit careful before freely sharing your idea if you think it's the type that someone might steal.)

That's a really good idea, thanks. And 100% agreed about stealing the idea which is why I'm looking for specific recommendations of who to talk to and not just posting it here Smile

ruchelbuckle

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:13 pm
I started my own business, and am working on another one, so I hope this is helpful:

I found that just talking to general people (friends, neighbors, etc) about what they think to be a waste of time. When people aren't actually spending money Very Happy they are happy to share all their opinions about what's good, what's popular, etc., but that doesn't mean it will ever get sold! (I had that experience a few times in my business! My garage is testimony to it! Wink

Steve Chou (find him on social media or his website (mywifequitherjob.com)) gives a course for aspiring ecommerce store owners that is supposed to be very helpful. (I haven't taken it). He also has tons and tons of free content on his youtube channel that is really helpful.

There are also tons of business coaches. Some of them cost tons of money and are not helpful for a person who is starting out. There are other business coaches that work especially with new business owners-- they can help you flesh out your ideas and create a path forward so you can decide if it's really a worthwhile investment. I have some names of coaches if you want to reach out to me directly.

One thing I discovered-- there are businesses out there that sell the MOST ridiculous products and services. And people buy them! So whatever your idea is, it's very likely that there is a market for it (somewhere).

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:25 pm
ruchelbuckle wrote:
I started my own business, and am working on another one, so I hope this is helpful:

I found that just talking to general people (friends, neighbors, etc) about what they think to be a waste of time. When people aren't actually spending money Very Happy they are happy to share all their opinions about what's good, what's popular, etc., but that doesn't mean it will ever get sold! (I had that experience a few times in my business! My garage is testimony to it! Wink

Steve Chou (find him on social media or his website (mywifequitherjob.com)) gives a course for aspiring ecommerce store owners that is supposed to be very helpful. (I haven't taken it). He also has tons and tons of free content on his youtube channel that is really helpful.

There are also tons of business coaches. Some of them cost tons of money and are not helpful for a person who is starting out. There are other business coaches that work especially with new business owners-- they can help you flesh out your ideas and create a path forward so you can decide if it's really a worthwhile investment. I have some names of coaches if you want to reach out to me directly.

One thing I discovered-- there are businesses out there that sell the MOST ridiculous products and services. And people buy them! So whatever your idea is, it's very likely that there is a market for it (somewhere).

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any questions.

Thanks! Gonna PM you

Shoshie

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:03 am
Getting a mentor from SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) is a free service of the U.S. Small Business Administration. Most everything they offer is free, including getting business advice from a mentor, and there's a chat on their webpage.

https://www.score.org/find-mentor
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics