Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3 year old won't go to sleep

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 7:25 pm
My three-year-old daughter goes to bed at around 6:45-7. She has a beautiful bedtime routine, with a bath, brushing teeth, book, etc. We then give her a little water in case she feels thirsty and one of us sits with her for a few minutes. Lately, she's been having a hard time going to sleep at night. She sings loudly and plays for sometimes over an hour. Then, the next morning, when we wake her up at 7, she's exhausted and cranky and acts like she needs more sleep all day long. She comes off the bus cranky and tired, is happy to get ready for bed, and then the cycle starts again. I'm at a loss. We give her melatonin gummies here and there, but that's not a solid solution. Any ideas?

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:03 pm
Can you find out if she is napping in school?
That totally throws off my bedtime routine.

I started playing soft piano music about 30 min before bedtime to start the calm.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:04 pm
amother [ Apple ] wrote:
Can you find out if she is napping in school?
That totally throws off my bedtime routine.

I started playing soft piano music about 30 min before bedtime to start the calm.

No, she never naps.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:09 pm
How many milligrams are the melatonin gummies?

You may have to give them to her every night, until her sleep cycle gets settled. Timing is important. Give the gummies 20 minutes before you expect her to fall asleep. The gummies will kick in right as you're tucking her in.

Don't be surprised if DD goes through a growth spurt. That always tends to mess up sleep patterns that were normally OK. She will probably be a lot hungrier than usual too, so make sure she gets lots of protein, and don't let her fill up on carbs.

Hopefully she'll get out of this phase soon (and then find a new phase to drive you crazy. Wink )

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:17 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
How many milligrams are the melatonin gummies?

You may have to give them to her every night, until her sleep cycle gets settled. Timing is important. Give the gummies 20 minutes before you expect her to fall asleep. The gummies will kick in right as you're tucking her in.

Don't be surprised if DD goes through a growth spurt. That always tends to mess up sleep patterns that were normally OK. She will probably be a lot hungrier than usual too, so make sure she gets lots of protein, and don't let her fill up on carbs.

Hopefully she'll get out of this phase soon (and then find a new phase to drive you crazy. Wink )

3 mg. Maybe sticking to the melatonin for a week straight will break this cycle. Thanks!

abaker

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:33 pm
You could also try putting her to bed a bit later. In at 730 instead of 645. She might fall asleep faster. Or she might be the type of kid that chats herself to sleep. I have a kid who likes to read aloud and chat to himself a long time before actually going to sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics