Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Tallis

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 15 2021, 11:22 pm
I want to get DH a new Shabbos tallis but I know nothing about guy stuff at all. I want to surprise him so I need advice from strangers - yes it would make TONS more sense to just ask him what he likes, but he's not that picky and if it's not a surprise then he might try to talk me out of spending the money (which is anyway my own) and I want to do something nice for him.

I want something nice, maybe even with a design of some kind, but not flashy.

Any shopping advice? I assume they're not just all the same because even in basic black and white the judaica websites have a dozen choices Confused

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 8:56 pm
you need to know what he wants. and you need to know his size.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:21 pm
If I know his clothing size does that help or is tallis sizing a whole different thing?

About what does he want - what are the features? He doesn't have a specific thing he wants, I feel like it would feel less like a gift if I ask him to go to the store/website and pick out a specific item, but is there a question like "this type or that type" that could help me along?

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 11:51 pm
I once got DH a gift certificate to a store and told him to just pick out his favorite Tallis.

There are lighter weight ones these days, and they are different sizes too. I would not pick one out myself.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:55 pm
OK so let's say we go shopping together - what store has a really nice selection of different types, both with and without designs? New York City area.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:33 pm
Following

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:37 pm
Definitely suggest going to Greenfield Judaica. They are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 9:47 pm
Do you have access to his Shabbos Tallis
Take it to the store and get the same one

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 10:04 pm
He got the original one a long time ago, don't know if he'd want the same one. I hear that going together is the best way to make sure he ends up with somethinghe likes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:19 pm
Any other votes for Greenfield's or somewhere else?

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:00 pm
I bought my husband a tallis in a judaica store in lakewood. The guy recommended a tallis and told me my husband can come back and switch it if it's not what he wants.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:01 pm
Just to add to what I wrote above. I was asked how tall my husband is to help figure out what size tallis.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics