Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Showering: lock bathroom door or not - home alone
1  2  3  Next

No one home. Do you lock your bathroom door when before showering?
Of course! If not I can’t shower calmly   
 44%  [ 134 ]
Why would I lock it?! No one’s home!  
 50%  [ 153 ]
If I remember to…  
 4%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 302

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 1:55 am
Just curious. I find that I always make sure my bathroom door is locked before stepping into the shower even if I know no one will be home for a while. Not sure why. Weird or not?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 2:31 am
I never lock the door when I shower, if someone is home or not.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:00 am
It depends.

If I am not feeling well, I won't, so someone would find me in case I fall down.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:44 am
No.

First because the lock gets stuck.
Second because if there is a siren, and they do happen sometimes, unexpectedly, I don't want to fiddle with the lock. It takes too many extra seconds. If I'm in the shower I'll have enough work getting myself ready, I don't need to add more work.
Third, and really most important, the bathroom fogs up and gets muggy when you close the door. So I really prefer to *always* keep it open, if possible. And if no one is home - then why ever not?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:45 am
Right now only my dh and I have a key of the house so I don’t feel the need to. When my kids get bigger I may.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:50 am
Even if someone is home I keep the door open a crack to let the steam out because we don't have a vent in our bathroom.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 4:00 am
From a safety perspective, no one should ever lock the bathroom door when they are in the shower.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 4:18 am
I never do but the door is closed and my bedroom door is closed.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 4:30 am
I don’t think it’s safe to lock the door of the shower if you’re home alone.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 4:46 am
I used to. Once (when I was single and lived alone) the lock broke. It was a snowy night, so even if I hadn't turned up to work the next day no one would have asked where I was. The front door was locked, and no one could have got into the house without serious effort. I spent two hours breaking down the bathroom door, until I got a hole big enough to climb through. Since then I've kept a hammer in the bathroom, in case it ever happens again. For a while I took my phone in with me as well.

I've put a light bolt on the door, because it doesn't stay closed by itself, and is directly opposite one of my windows, and I don't want to be exposed to all the children in the garden of the building, but I never lock it with a key any more.

The bolt is high up so young children can't reach it, and we took the key away so that no one locks themselves in by mistake.

hodeez

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 4:53 am
Elfrida wrote:
I used to. Once (when I was single and lived alone) the lock broke. It was a snowy night, so even if I hadn't turned up to work the next day no one would have asked where I was. The front door was locked, and no one could have got into the house without serious effort. I spent two hours breaking down the bathroom door, until I got a hole big enough to climb through. Since then I've kept a hammer in the bathroom, in case it ever happens again. For a while I took my phone in with me as well.

I've put a light bolt on the door, because it doesn't stay closed by itself, and is directly opposite one of my windows, and I don't want to be exposed to all the children in the garden of the building, but I never lock it with a key any more.

The bolt is high up so young children can't reach it, and we took the key away so that no one locks themselves in by mistake.

That's intense!

etky

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 4:55 am
Elfrida wrote:

OMG. That must have been terrifying!
We took the keys away too when the kids got old enough to use the bathroom so this type of thing shouldn't happen to them. Also kids can get up to other mischief in the bathroom that can be dangerous. DS as a toddler once pulled out one of the hoses that led to the sink and flooded the bathroom. We had to run downstairs to shut off the water main. The bathroom can be a dangerous place.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 5:05 am
etky wrote:
OMG. That must have been terrifying!

I didn't let myself think it through at the time, because I had to use my energies on doing something, and if I had got scared I might have been very scared.

Afterwards, when I was sitting with a cup of hot chocolate, watching the snow and trying to calm down, I realized how scared I could have been and what might have happened if my landlord had spent money on a better quality door that I hadn't been able to break down.

I was so tired that I didn't have a problem sleeping, but it haunted me for the next few days.

Zeleze

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 6:12 am
I lock the door when others are home

Just curios, what's the point of the question here ?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 6:15 am
Elfrida wrote:

This is one of my worst fears. This is why I take my cell phone into the bathroom, just in case.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 6:16 am
Elfrida wrote:
I didn't let myself think it through at the time, because I had to use my energies on doing something, and if I had got scared I might have been very scared.

Afterwards, when I was sitting with a cup of hot chocolate, watching the snow and trying to calm down, I realized how scared I could have been and what might have happened if my landlord had spent money on a better quality door that I hadn't been able to break down.

I was so tired that I didn't have a problem sleeping, but it haunted me for the next few days.

I mean, it’s scary, it really is. I would definitely feel that panicky feeling. But most likely nothing bad would have happened to you. You were in a safe, climate controlled area with access to water. Even a toilet!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 6:20 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I mean, it’s scary, it really is. I would definitely feel that panicky feeling. But most likely nothing bad would have happened to you. You were in a safe, climate controlled area with access to water. Even a toilet!

It was a snowy night, and there is no heating in my bathroom, and I only had a night dress to put on (and a wet towel).

But a lot more worrying was how long I might have been stuck there before anyone got worried enough to try breaking in to look for me.

amother
Daphne

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 6:39 am
I didn't vote because it depended in different stages of my life.

When I lived with my parents -- lock it! Don't want them coming home by surprise and stepping in on me. Same when I lived with roommates.

When I lived with very little kids and DH -- don't lock it. I'd even leave the bathroom door open and have the baby in the playpen where I could see them and they could see me.

Living with big kids -- lock it. Don't want them, or Gd forbid their friends, walking in on me!

amother
RosePink

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 7:02 am
I don’t even close the door if no one is home

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 8:03 am
100% always. (Though I have forgotten what "home alone" is).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette