Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Potato side dish for fish sticks

happy chick

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:21 am
What's something good, quick and easy to make w fish sticks? I'd like to use real potatoes, my kids don't like mashed potatoes. Sometimes I'll slice them thin and bake them, but they're getting bored of it. My kids like simple, no sauces or stuff. Any ideas?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:25 am
I sometimes just chop potatoes in my chopper on the larger cut - red potatoes or yukon gold are particularly delicious with this - so they are just in small chunks. And I fry them in a large fry pan with a little oil, with salt, pepper, and paprika, until they are soft inside, crispy outside. It takes about 1/2 hour to get them cooked this way.

Serve with fish - fish and chips - and a salad.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 9:33 am
Make wedges instead of circles or circles instead of wedges, depending on what your usual shape is. Or change up the seasoning.

A favorite in our house is a mixture of regular and sweet potatoes cut up into bite size chunks and roasted together. I toss them with olive oil and season with onion and garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper.

You can also buy frozen french fries of various types and just bake them.

You can make a loaded baked potato, but that's a lot more work.

If you want to really change things up, buy purple or pink potatoes. We've only even found the pink ones (pink inside, not just the peel) at farmer's markets but our local grocery stores usually carry the purple ones in both regular size and baby potato size.

torquoise

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:08 am
My kids love potatoes cut up and roasted with oil and salt. I try I get more buttery tasting potatoes, like yellow or baby potatoes.

If you're ok with an extra step - to speed things up, I recently boiled the potatoes a little in the instant pot to soften them before roasting, and they came out delicious!! Even more buttery and soft than usual.

Other ideas:
- A bag of frozen french fries, with seasonings we like
- I don't know what they're called, but those little nugget shaped things that are made out of shredded potatoes, like latke batter. You buy them frozen in a bag.

Stars

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:16 am
creamy potato soup
french fries
potato chips
have you tried switching up your mashed potatoes recipe? My family only likes it blended smooth, with some fat and salt and a hint of garlic.
microwave baked potato
potato kugel
potato salad

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 10:53 am
Crispy potatoes (cut into large cubes, par boil, drain, add salt and a little oil and shake around till the edges get a little beat up, then bake in a pan until golden and crispy), pan fried potatoes (cut into small cubes and pan fry in a bit of oil), baked potatoes, twice baked potatoes, smashed potatoes, homemade french fries...if your kids don't like creamy mashed potatoes, try chunky. Vice versa, too (worth buying a ricer!).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics