Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Ear splint/mold

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 3:02 pm
Has anyone done this for their child? I have some questions. It would be for "cosmetic" purpose to correct/prevent something relatively minor and I wanted to know if I should even look into it. I wouldn't want to have to put my baby through something that would be painful for such a minor thing. On the other hand if I can fix something easily that may bother them when they get older I would want to consider it.
If you got it done for your baby how old were they, did you have success and what were you trying to "correct"?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:14 pm
Bump.
Anyone?

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 7:16 pm
How old is your baby? If it’s a newborn I would say the ear will likely smooth itself out with time. No matter what the age, definitely get a second opinion, not just one from the doctor who is looking for your business…

snowflake1

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 10:35 pm
I looked into it at one point but it was not covered by insurance and very expensive. it does not hurt the newborn it looks like earmuffs that they wear for two weeks or so.
but I believe it was very expensive there are cheaper things that people put on themselves but that is more painful because it involves taping and untaping and so on

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:02 pm
My baby had one pointy ear. She looked quite weird. I used the ear buddy system (cost about $80) and her ear is much better. It’s difficult to apply on a squirming baby, and I don’t know if it might have corrected itself either way. I’m happy I did it though, cuz I know I tried something inexpensive and noninvasive at a time when her ear was still mold-able.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:04 pm
I did it for my baby. It was purely cosmetic. It was covered by insurance. You need to start when your baby is less than two weeks old. We will never know if it would have resolved on its own, but we weren't going to take a chance. The hospital said they never had a case where it wasn't covered by insurance. This was for the EarWell device. There was zero pain involved.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Nov 17 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I did it for my baby. It was purely cosmetic. It was covered by insurance. You need to start when your baby is less than two weeks old. We will never know if it would have resolved on its own, but we weren't going to take a chance. The hospital said they never had a case where it wasn't covered by insurance. This was for the EarWell device. There was zero pain involved.

Same. Did for both ears.

I have a brother that has bent ears, full fledged adult… wasn’t going to wait and see when this was a relatively easy, low risk fix.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 3:02 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

Oh that is slightly discouraging (the time part, the insurance coverage is god news). My baby will be 3.5 weeks old by the time we have our initial appointment with the plastic surgeon and who knows how long after that they would apply if it turns out that is recommended.. 😕
He has one ear that sticks out. If it stays the way it is it would not look so bad but I want to prevent it from sticking out more. Hopefully since it is to prevent it from becoming worse it will be ok that if is after 2 weeks (he has a head tilt that is smooshing the ear on things he leans on but we are working on correcting the tilt). Well, really hopefully the doctor says not to worry and that it won't be necessary at all...

I wouldn't try to do anything if both ears stuck out but it's just one of them and I'm worried if it gets worse it may look odd when he is older for them drastically not to match and like I said he may be like why didn't you try to prevent this if you could have.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh that is slightly discouraging (the time part, the insurance coverage is god news). My baby will be 3.5 weeks old by the time we have our initial appointment with the plastic surgeon and who knows how long after that they would apply if it turns out that is recommended.. 😕
He has one ear that sticks out. If it stays the way it is it would not look so bad but I want to prevent it from sticking out more. Hopefully since it is to prevent it from becoming worse it will be ok that if is after 2 weeks (he has a head tilt that is smooshing the ear on things he leans on but we are working on correcting the tilt). Well, really hopefully the doctor says not to worry and that it won't be necessary at all...

I wouldn't try to do anything if both ears stuck out but it's just one of them and I'm worried if it gets worse it may look odd when he is older for them drastically not to match and like I said he may be like why didn't you try to prevent this if you could have.

If it’s the ear lobe sticking out then molds won’t help… def go to the consult- if it’s appropriate they’ll do it on the spot.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
If it’s the ear lobe sticking out then molds won’t help… def go to the consult- if it’s appropriate they’ll do it on the spot.

Thanks for the info. That's good to know it's something that may be possible to be done right away and not have to wait for.
It's the top of the ear, not the lobe.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:14 pm
Updating in case it's helpful for anyone in the future who searches for this:
We went to the plastic surgeon who said it's totally our call. She said no guarantee the ear mold will do anything and no knowing if the ear position will get more noticable or stay the same.

I felt like there was nothing to lose so we went ahead and did it (he didn't need the mold just the splint piece and tape). He doesn't seem to be bothered at all by it.

She said 98% of the time insurance covers it and the two cases she had when it didn't one they appealed and got covered in the end and the other she worked with the family to get rid of as many fees as she could and minimize the cost as much as possible.

Oh and amother melon was correct when she said it could be done right then that day.

kreindel meidel

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:52 pm
My baby was born with a ear deformy hes ear looked horrible the doctor in the hospital recommended I go to take care of it asap. I went to doctor bustedius in long Island he was soooo nice and helpful bh my sons ear looks pretty much normal he had the molding plus needed to be opened up and stichted. Everything was covered under insurance I really had a great experience I would highly recommend dr bustedius!

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:56 pm
Dr. Gila Weinstein (Brooklyn)

Does it non surgically.

She is a doll and will let you know what’s what.

212-452-9804
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics