Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Soba Chicken Noodle Salad WITH GINGER PEANUT DRESSING

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 16 2021, 12:34 pm
I was feeling exceptionally unambitious and this recipe was perfect. I used rotisserie chicken but one could use your own cooked chicken obviously. Very Happy

This is not a world shaking recipe but it was eaten with no complaints by those at the table. Very Happy

You could make it ahead of time obviously but I might then have some dressing in reserve since I find that if I store a noodle salad, the noodles continue to soak up the dressing and the dish often becomes a bit to dry. Either follow her advice and dress before serving or have some extra to add if necessary.

Whole wheat or buckwheat noodles could be substituted.

Soba Chicken Noodle Salad WITH GINGER PEANUT DRESSING

Excerpt From: Jennifer Segal - Once Upon a Chef - Weekend/Weeknights

Note that the dressing will taste acidic and salty before you toss it with the noodles—because the noodles will soak up the flavor quickly, you have to over-season the dressing slightly. Feel free to make the dressing ahead of time, but cook and dress the noodles at the last minute so they don’t get soggy.

Excerpt From: Jennifer Segal. “Once Upon a Chef

FOR THE SALAD

10 ounces (285 g) soba noodles
2 cups (260 g) shredded cooked chicken
1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 scallions (light and green parts), thinly sliced
½ cup (70 g) chopped salted peanuts
¼ cup (10 g) chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

FOR THE DRESSING

6 tablespoons (90 mL) soy sauce
3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1½ tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (from a 1-inch/2.5 cm knob)
1 tablespoon sugar

MAKE-AHEAD INSTRUCTIONS

The dressing can be made 2 days ahead and refrigerated.

1. Begin the salad: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick. Drain and rinse well under cold water.

2. Make the dressing: Meanwhile, in a small food processor or blender, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, peanut oil, sesame oil, peanut butter, garlic, ginger, and sugar; blend until smooth.

3. Finish the salad: In a large bowl, toss the noodles with the shredded chicken, bell pepper, scallions, peanuts, cilantro, sesame seeds, and the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately.

SOURCING SAVVY

Similar in shape to spaghetti, soba noodles are buckwheat noodles native to Japan (soba is Japanese for buckwheat). They are available at Asian markets and in most grocery stores.

Toasted sesame oil adds intense nutty, sesame flavor to vinaigrettes, stir-fries, steamed vegetables, and other dishes. Like a high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, it is used for flavor rather than for cooking; it is not interchangeable with plain sesame oil, which is mild in flavor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey