Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What should I put in a guest basket in guest room?
Previous  1  2  3

sari00

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 12:16 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
Is this to be taken seriously or as a personal wish list? Confused
If I provide all of the above, may I charge you (in cash) before my bell boy shlepps your luggage to your car? Wink

Lol!! That's what I have in my guest room...
BH we host very very often and enjoy it making everyone feel at home and not having to ask for stuff.. basically all there in their room

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 12:17 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
tissues. bottle of water. Ami magazine.

Tissues and water are a must. A mirror in the room

Feminine hygiene products (sometimes its a surprise, and the woman isn't prepared)

Shabbat lamp placed near the beds

Emergency toiletries -- toothbrush, toothpaste, bandages, blister pads if you want to be extra-nice. Advil or Tylenol. A bottle of Tums might also be nice.

Enough towels, and extra TP if they have their own bathroom. A discrete plunger and can of Febreze in the bathroom. No one want to tell their host that they clogged the commode

Lint roller

A bottle of lotion if they're around before or after Shabbat

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 1:36 pm
I have separate guest quarters (bedrooms, hallway and bathroom) and set up a small table in the hallway with tea lights and matches. Guests staying for Shabbos who light in the place they are sleeping really appreciate that.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:14 pm
Re toothbrushes: Where do you people get the notion that guests just materialize in a guest room after licht benchen and dematerialize the minute that third star appears in the sky? Some people brush their teeth right before Shabbos and/or right after Shabbos. Some leave on Sunday morning, some are guests midweek, some might even stay a week or two, and some people--gasp!--brush their teeth ON Shabbos. All of which is reason enough for a caring hostess to keep a toothbrush in the guest basket if she's going to the trouble of assembling one.

If you ask me, which you didn't but I'm going to tell you anyway, the idea of storing feminine hygiene products under the bathroom sink is repulsive. It's a very unsanitary place for sanitary supplies. Anything near the floor is an unsanitary place for storage of things you want to keep sanitary. I associate undersink cabinets with storage of cleaning supplies. It's where I keep my floor-washing bucket, scouring powder, rubber gloves and other things I use to clean the bathroom. It would never occur to me to look in my hostess's undersink cabinet for anything unless I desperately needed a plunger.

OP--you DO have a plunger clearly visible in your guest bathroom, I hope. If you don't, I respectfully suggest you get one, pronto. This is more important, if less charming, than all the lavish guest baskets in the world.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
My mother puts in a pregnancy test. TMI

Say it ain't so!

octopus

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:20 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Re toothbrushes: Where do you people get the notion that guests just materialize in a guest room after licht benchen and dematerialize the minute that third star appears in the sky? Some people brush their teeth right before Shabbos and/or right after Shabbos. Some leave on Sunday morning, some are guests midweek, some might even stay a week or two, and some people--gasp!--brush their teeth ON Shabbos. All of which is reason enough for a caring hostess to keep a toothbrush in the guest basket if she's going to the trouble of assembling one.

If you ask me, which you didn't but I'm going to tell you anyway, the idea of storing feminine hygiene products under the bathroom sink is repulsive. It's a very unsanitary place for sanitary supplies. Anything near the floor is an unsanitary place for storage of things you want to keep sanitary. I associate undersink cabinets with storage of cleaning supplies. It's where I keep my floor-washing bucket, scouring powder, rubber gloves and other things I use to clean the bathroom. It would never occur to me to look in my hostess's undersink cabinet for anything unless I desperately needed a plunger.

OP--you DO have a plunger clearly visible in your guest bathroom, I hope. If you don't, I respectfully suggest you get one, pronto. This is more important, if less charming, than all the lavish guest baskets in the world.

My goodness! What a condescending post!

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:24 pm
singleagain wrote:
Well don't impose your holding on someone else. I think having a toothbrush for those who might forget is a good idea

It’s fairly accepted halachah not to use a toothbrush on Shabbos, certainly with toothpaste but without as well, unless you know your gums are super strong and absolutely never bleed. The company that makes Shabbos Lamp even came out with rubber toothbrushes at one point, bc they’re gentler on the gums.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:28 pm

Not arguing about toothbrushes but many people absolutely won’t put cleaning products near the floor for safety reasons, and if you keep your cabinets clean and the feminine products are in packages, what on earth could happen to it to make it unsanitary (pun intended 😆)?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:29 pm

Under the sink is the perfect place to store sanitary supplies. If I can't rely on sanitary packaging to keep items safe from...uh...Proximity To The Floor, then I give up.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:29 pm
zaq wrote:
Say it ain't so!

Now that’s what I call above and beyond 😆

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 4:31 pm
kenz wrote:
Now that’s what I call above and beyond 😆

Right? If I have a sudden burning desire to know whether I'm pregnant and I can't wait a day, I'm covered! Better too much provided than too little. Very Happy

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:08 pm
TravelHearter wrote:
Also a box of tissues next to the bed and a little trash can

Not a "little" one. A balebatish one that can hold more than three Kleenex and a gum wrapper.

This is one of my pet peeves when I visit people. They have these useless miniature rubbish bins in their bathrooms, and they're full. I empty out every rubbish bin in my house on Friday, but I understand that not everyone can manage that. This wouldn't be a problem if they had rubbish bins of a respectable size. But what do they expect people to do if they use a bin that can hold at most one disposable diaper, and they've already crammed in two, and a few used Kleenex, a paper cup and a clump of hair out of their brush are balanced precariously on top?

I've taken to packing little paper bags of the kind you get when you buy a bottle of beer, so I can wrap my trash and discreetly discard it the kitchen trash can. I'm not about to risk upsetting that tower of trash in the toy wastebasket. And don't tell me to push down on the rubbish to compress it. You have no idea what's in that trash heap, but there's bound to be something you wouldn't appreciate getting even on the sole of your shoe, if you could fit your foot into that dollhouse-sized wastebasket.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:22 pm
Can I visit your guestroom?

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:01 pm
A few shopping bags, food storage bags, sandwich bags

bargainlover

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 9:54 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
A few shopping bags, food storage bags, sandwich bags

For what?

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
I have separate guest quarters (bedrooms, hallway and bathroom) and set up a small table in the hallway with tea lights and matches. Guests staying for Shabbos who light in the place they are sleeping really appreciate that.
I would worry about safety from the candles.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 10:20 pm
bargainlover wrote:
For what?

Really I was going to just say shopping bags but I figured some people might appreciate other types of bags as well. Shopping bags for dirty laundry, or for if you want to take along stuff if you’re walking somewhere for a Shabbos meal, for disposal of dirty diapers if there’s babies, for extra garbage bags if the garbage can is too small. So many things.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics