Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
First Grade HELP

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 5:57 pm
I have a first grader that needs help in math and spelling.

I would like to get her an educational electronic toy that she can play with herself. The tablets look interesting but I'm not sure about the content (we don't watch movies). Can anyone recommend something they were happy with?

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:16 pm
Why not hire a proper Tutor?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:29 pm
Would a workbook work like brainquest?

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:32 pm
Does the school have a remedial program?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:39 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Would a workbook work like brainquest?

This is actually a good idea but I would prefer something electronic so it's interactive and I don't need to sit with her.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:43 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Why not hire a proper Tutor?

She is actually a very bright kid, just needs a little help.
This will give her some practice without it feeling like homework / schoolwork.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She is actually a very bright kid, just needs a little help.
This will give her some practice without it feeling like homework / schoolwork.

The school is supposed to provide help. I don't think it's a good idea to pressure young kids with more school work at home. Did you get a call from the teacher that she needs help?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 6:57 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
The school is supposed to provide help. I don't think it's a good idea to pressure young kids with more school work at home. Did you get a call from the teacher that she needs help?

The teacher did call. She wasn't sure what was going on since on some days she does really well and some days not. When I do homework with her she does well.

I was thinking a game that focuses on math and spelling will give her the extra practice to bring her up to par.

Any ideas?

amother
White

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The teacher did call. She wasn't sure what was going on since on some days she does really well and some days not. When I do homework with her she does well.

I was thinking a game that focuses on math and spelling will give her the extra practice to bring her up to par.

Any ideas?

FYI, 95% of the time this is teacher code for attention issues

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Any ideas?

If she does well some days and when you do homework with her, then she probably knows her work well and she might just be exhausted, lazy, or seeking attention some days.
My daughter is very jealous of the girls that go to remedial, she started slacking off on purpose. I knew she knows her work and she's doing it for attention. The teacher made a deal with her that if she does well, she can go to remedial once a month. Bh the trick is working, she's so excited and she's doing really well bh. Sometimes all kids need is an extra push or extra attention.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:21 pm
I like Iready lessons for independent reading help (but obviously there is no comparison with a computer or in person help). The biggest help you can give is to read with her every day.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:39 pm
If focusing or attention is an issue computer games often make it worse.
Teachers will never match the excitement of most games and will find it harder to grab kids attention.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 7:42 pm
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
If she does well some days and when you do homework with her, then she probably knows her work well and she might just be exhausted, lazy, or seeking attention some days.
My daughter is very jealous of the girls that go to remedial, she started slacking off on purpose. I knew she knows her work and she's doing it for attention. The teacher made a deal with her that if she does well, she can go to remedial once a month. Bh the trick is working, she's so excited and she's doing really well bh. Sometimes all kids need is an extra push or extra attention.

I don't think it's attention. She gets lots of it from me and her teacher. She also does really well academically. She was awarded the star of the class award the first week it was given out.

I was looking into the leapfrog and amazon fire kids options. I'm just so confused as to which would work well for her level and if it's a good thing to bring into my home?

If someone has any suggestions besides tutoring I would greatly appreciate it. Because if she needed it I would definitely take one.

tia
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics