Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Explain the designer thing to me please
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:37 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Why is it acceptable that this is a shabbos skirt and appropriate to wear at a simcha?

Status. It screams it loudly.

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:38 pm
Status is a funny thing. Those who got it don’t need to flaunt it in ridiculous ways. And those who don’t are blind to the fact that everyone can see how desperate they are to the point of spending money they don’t have on things that don’t fool anyone.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:40 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
Thank you for being honest. It is indeed all about the status. All these excuses that the styles are beautiful, quality is good, etc.. are just that - excuses. There are plenty of non-designer stuff that offer beautiful quality clothing as well - and for lower prices.

My absolute most uncomfortable shoes are my Louboutin's Wink

I don't like fake people who lie to themselves.
Be honest. We're all human, we all have flaws.
We all like kavod, we just like to get it in different ways.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:40 pm
I don't buy designer things (real or fake) but sometimes I'll be on ali looking for a cheap bag and they are all imitations-it's so frustrating Very Happy

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:41 pm
Zehava wrote:
Status is a funny thing. Those who got it don’t need to flaunt it in ridiculous ways. And those who don’t are blind to the fact that everyone can see how desperate they are to the point of spending money they don’t have on things that don’t fool anyone.

And some people have status and enjoy it. Do you think all wealthy people are immune to liking it?

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:43 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Cartier watches are not flashy. You wouldn’t know what it was unless you got super close to me. They are also high quality and last years and years. I’m talking about 20-30 years. Vs a pair of shoes that get worn out, or a bag that’s just very flashy with the logo- why not choose a quality leather bag without the logo, or a belt that has a huge GG etc.

Exactly. BH mine is in absolute perfect condition despite daily wear for 15 years. And they’re total classics. Only those who know, know (the bracelet is distinctive, the face is distinctive) It’s understated luxury

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:44 pm
Thank you for being honest. It is indeed all about the status. All these excuses that the styles are beautiful, quality is good, etc.. are just that - excuses. There are plenty of non-designer stuff that offer beautiful quality clothing as well - and for lower prices.

I actually don’t think there is plenty of beautiful quality non designer clothing. I find most clothing to be poorly made and out of cheap material.
Even shopping at Nordstrom’s. The general brands have very blaa cuts and overload of polyester garbage.

Nothing like a St. John knit (no logo) or a Marina Rinaldi (no logo) wool crepe pencil skirt. The cuts and materials are far superior.

Now it may not justify the price for you but, if someone can afford it and that’s what they appreciate then by all means.

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:47 pm
mizle10 wrote:
And some people have status and enjoy it. Do you think all wealthy people are immune to liking it?

From what I see wealthy people who are not personality disordered just get used to it after a while and it loses its meaning Somewhat. But even if they do enjoy it, they have no need to prove it. People know they are wealthy. There’s no need to have their kids in 600$ tees with logos across them to gain status.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:48 pm
mizle10 wrote:
My absolute most uncomfortable shoes are my Louboutin's Wink

I don't like fake people who lie to themselves.
Be honest. We're all human, we all have flaws.
We all like kavod, we just like to get it in different ways.

Loubitouns are well known to be killers to wear. They are just beautiful.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:50 pm
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
I actually don’t think there is plenty of beautiful quality non designer clothing. I find most clothing to be poorly made and out of cheap material.
Even shopping at Nordstrom’s. The general brands have very blaa cuts and overload of polyester garbage.

Nothing like a St. John knit (no logo) or a Marina Rinaldi (no logo) wool crepe pencil skirt. The cuts and materials are far superior.

Now it may not justify the price for you but, if someone can afford it and that’s what they appreciate then by all means.

Then you just need to shop around a bit more. There are plenty middle of the line products that have good cuts and good material.

And lets not kid ourselves. Many of the people wearing designer stuff don't buy them for the quality - they aren't interested in having that dress or top last many years. They update their wardrobe frequently to keep up with the styles.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:54 pm
Then you just need to shop around a bit more. There are plenty middle of the line products that have good cuts and good material.

And lets not kid ourselves. Many of the people wearing designer stuff don't buy them for the quality - they aren't interested in having that dress or top last many years. They update their wardrobe frequently to keep up with the styles.

I’d love to see what you refer to as middle line products that are high quality. I like to see good materials.
Can you post some links. Maybe I am shopping wrong. I truly see a lot of garbage. Zara looks like a circus..
Banana Republic has some ok pieces but honestly It’s fashion wear, not high quality.
A designer piece will last years. Whether or not people are using it in that manner is not relevant .

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:55 pm
Zehava wrote:
From what I see wealthy people who are not personality disordered just get used to it after a while and it loses its meaning Somewhat. But even if they do enjoy it, they have no need to prove it. People know they are wealthy. There’s no need to have their kids in 600$ tees with logos across them to gain status.

It's not about proving it, it's about enjoying the status they naturally have as a wealthy person.
Come on, do you think non personality disordered wealthy people really don't enjoy kavod?!?! I have a few people to introduce you to.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:57 pm
I’d love to see what you refer to as middle line products that are high quality. I like to see good materials.
Can you post some links. Maybe I am shopping wrong. I truly see a lot of garbage. Zara looks like a circus..
Banana Republic has some ok pieces but honestly It’s fashion wear, not high quality.
A designer piece will last years. Whether or not people are using it in that manner is not relevant .

You can buy a top at Zara for $19.99.
Do you think there's nothing in between Zara and St John?

Zehava

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:57 pm
mizle10 wrote:
It's not about proving it, it's about enjoying the status they naturally have as a wealthy person.
Come on, do you think non personality disordered wealthy people really don't enjoy kavod?!?! I have a few people to introduce you to.

As do I😊. Some of my dearest friends. Just like people get used to a standard of living and it loses some of its glamour, people also get used to their status and it doesn’t factor into their daily lives as much.

mizle10

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:02 am
Zehava wrote:
As do I😊. Some of my dearest friends. Just like people get used to a standard of living and it loses some of its glamour, people also get used to their status and it doesn’t factor into their daily lives as much.

That's beautiful, but I think it's fair to say there are PLENTY of mentally and emotionally well balanced people enjoying their status as wealthy. Smile

Every building you see with a name on it, do you think it's either new money or people with personality disorders? If yes I recommend everyone go into the mental health field the market must be enormous LOL LOL

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:08 am
mizle10 wrote:
That's beautiful, but I think it's fair to say there are PLENTY of mentally and emotionally well balanced people enjoying their status as wealthy. Smile

Every building you see with a name on it, do you think it's either new money or people with personality disorders? If yes I recommend everyone go into the mental health field the market must be enormous LOL LOL

Okay so
A. Big divide between genders here. The guys I know are enjoying it wayyy more. They’re the ones putting all the names up.
B. Oh those narcs will never seek out mental health treatment as long as their need for admiration is being supplied on a regular basis.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:08 am

There are a hosts of shops in the middle range that offer fair prices and good quality. One just needs to expand their horizons.

But I must say its sound quite contradictory to button down on a specific feature, when you have no intention of utilizing that feature. The purpose of quality goods is for the purpose of having it last a long time. Why pay significant higher prices for a feature you'll never use?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:09 am
Double post.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:10 am
Well you don't like Ferragamo look. I do. Find me the same look by another company.

Zehava

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 12:10 am
Zehava wrote:
Okay so
A. Big divide between genders here. The guys I know are enjoying it wayyy more. They’re the ones putting all the names up.
B. Oh those narcs will never seek out mental health treatment as long as their need for admiration is being supplied on a regular basis.

But regardless that wasn’t even my point. My point was they have no need to prove their status by flashing designer labels. They have the status either way. It’s the wannabees who drive themselves crazy running after designer labels.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics