Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Service based business - do you accept credit card?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:29 pm
A client wants to pay by cc
Will cost me $50
Do I say anything, swallow the fee?

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:30 pm
I have been to two businesses recently that didn’t accept even debit cards. I was only annoyed because they didn’t give me a heads up. I found out when I went to pay and. I had no other way with me to pay!

It’s totally fine not to accept credit cards!

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:30 pm
Or, you can charge them the fee. My kids achool does this. Like a 5% or something fee if paying by card

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:36 pm
I accept all CC's including Amex.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:38 pm
Personal check or Zelle for my kitchen & residential design business.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:40 pm
Yes, but I don't swallow the cost, I pass it on.
3%. I offer other ways to pay though

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:40 pm
I appreciate when businesses offer the ability to pay with a card. If there is a fee I'll think twice but at least I have the option.

But if not that, at least SOME form of alternative payments, like Zelle, Paypal, or Cashapp are appreciated.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:46 pm
It’s the cost of doing business. Do you charge them for having lights on while you are giving the service?
I use CC’s as my primary monies and find it annoying when businesses can’t accept the most common form of tender.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:46 pm
Ok, so I would tell him there’s a 3 percent fee for credit card, and no fee for check or zelle. I’m no professional writer Wink so can anyone chime in the best way to do this? And now I know for future to write it on the invoice!

Genius

Post Thu, Nov 18 2021, 11:56 pm
It’s annoying for customers when a business doesn’t accept cc or requests a fee.
The way to do it is to up your price so that you can afford to give your customers this service. Sounds crazy, but I personally have a blockage when businesses don’t bother to offer such an elementary service that I’d rather pay more for the actual service, but not pay a fee.
From the perspective of a business owner it was definitely worth it to set up a credit card processing system despite the cost. A dollar in hand is worth two in the bush.

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, so I would tell him there’s a 3 percent fee for credit card, and no fee for check or zelle. I’m no professional writer Wink so can anyone chime in the best way to do this? And now I know for future to write it on the invoice!

What words did they ask you with?

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:20 am
Yes we swallow fees.
Some people ask for a credit card convenience fee of 2% or 3%

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:26 am
I accept everything. Zelle, cashapp, venmo, PayPal, cash, check , credit card. I find it extremely unprofessional to not accept credit card and I don’t think it helps you make more money. It just makes people not come back to you because it’s annoying.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:30 am
I think in 2021 costumer service is everything. I will walk out of a store (and never come back) if they have lousy service (even if I just spent afew hours selecting what I wanted to buy.) At the end of the day the stores need us more then we need them. If a store won’t except A card (I understand if they have a minimum to use card though) I’ll usually leave and give my business elsewhere.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:37 am
If you didn’t tell them in advance then I would think the customer service friendly option is to swallow the cost. If they are paying you that much that the 3% is $50 then I think it’s petty not to accept it

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:40 am
I’m confused. What will cost you $50? The machine, as a one time fee? Or $50/month?

singleagain

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:43 am
watergirl wrote:
I’m confused. What will cost you $50? The machine, as a one time fee? Or $50/month?

This is a good question... Are you even set up to take credit cards?

Reality

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:48 am
It depends what kind of service business. I have yet to meet a tutor or a personal trainer that takes a credit card. Most take quickpay/zelle etc. The same for small cottage industry type food sellers.

Simple1

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 7:50 am
It depends at what stage your business is in and how professional you want to come across. For something you do on the side, you can do what you want. A fully professional business, I expect them to take credit cards without an added fee

mommyhood

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 8:22 am
My sheitel machers, plumbers, electricians, handymen, laser technicians, babysitters, cleaning services… none of them take credit card and I don’t expect it. Most of them offer a zelle/PayPal option which is fine with me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics