Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
אוריין
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 4:57 am
Looking for opinions on this name for a girl. We live in Israel.

I know that it is Aramaic for "torah" which I love, and that there is a name אוריאן that is pronounced the same but comes from French for sunrise/golden, and even though that is also a beautiful meaning, it actually makes me hesitate to give the name, because I specifically want a religious Jewish name. I have nothing against the French, but it just like how I wouldn't name a girl "Rose".

If you know a girl/woman named אוריין, is she frum? Haredi, DL, masorati?

Also, is it a problem that boys are also given this name?

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 5:15 am
There are many Sephardic women named Rosa/Sharona. No problem with that.

I'm not sure how to pronounce the name you are suggesting. Could you transliterate?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 19 2021, 6:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
There are many Sephardic women named Rosa/Sharona. No problem with that.

I'm not sure how to pronounce the name you are suggesting. Could you transliterate?

Orian Oh-Ree-AHN

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 6:36 pm
To me an English speaker that looks like Oh-ry-an and reminds me of the constellation (I know, it's Orion but still). Googling it's also a shipping company in Israel.
Unless you live somewhere where people have very very unique and interesting names, and plan to stay there your whole lives, and her whole life, I'd pass. It's hard to have a name that's hard to pronounce and understand. Besides for yes it sounding like a boys name if anything.
I have never heard of this as a name personally.
I cant think of anything else that specifically means "torah" but maybe others can come up with something.
Maybe Temima - Toras Hashem Temima? Or Ora - Torah Ora?
Beautiful idea though.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 6:43 pm
Is it just me or is the name Orion sounding really nice?

bigsis144

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 6:44 pm
Yeah, my first thought at seeing that Hebrew spelling was Orion, like the hunter from Greek mythology (and constellation named for him). Like most characters in Greek myth, his name and story are not fit for a Jewish person (he rapes someone while drunk, offends the goddess Artemis so that she orchestrates his death by scorpion, etc.)

Isn’t the Aramaic for Torah “Oraisa”, as in “Histakel b’Oraisa u’bara alma” (“HaShem looked into the Torah and created the world”)?

salt

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 11:10 pm
I only know it as a last name in Israel.

essie14

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 11:11 pm
This looks like it should be pronounced Orion.
I never heard of Orion or Oree-ahn as a first name in Israel.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 11:15 pm
I knew a lovely girl named Oryan, I think she pronounced it Oreeyan. It took me a few days to remember the pronunciation when I first met her, and by now I forgot it.
I believe her family is frum but I'm not sure.

banana123

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 11:16 pm
I know 1-2 Oriyans. I think the name in Hebrew is spelled
אוריאן

Elfrida

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 11:16 pm
The Aramaic for Torah is אורייתא.

The word אוריין became associated with Torah because it means reading. בר אוריין means someone who has the ability to read, and colloquially came to mean someone who can learn Torah.

Living in Israel, I've never heard of it as a name. I would also tend to associate it with the constellation Orion, rather than a slightly obscure jewish connection.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 1:11 am
I know an Oriana. She’s an adorable girl, totally chareidi and not Israeli. Maybe adding the “a” at the end makes it more girly?

someone

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 1:18 am
I know a man called אוריין. I've never heard it used as a girls name. And I know a girl called אורייתא but that is very much not mainstream

etky

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 1:19 am
So a friend of mine used this name for her DD and I've come across it several times since then (her DD is now 25).
Pronounced Or-YAN
It is indeed from Bar-Oryan that derives from the word Orayta for Torah.
They are a DL family (Israeli).
BTW in modern Hebrew there is a term אוריינות that is used in the field of education to describe a level of scholastic competence or academic literacy.
I think it is a lovely name

ETA - it's spelled אוריאן

SG18

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:49 am
My dh has a Dati aunt named Oriana אוריינה

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:55 am
And I know a girl named Torah... named after a choshuv Israeli woman named toiba torah.
Not abt the Torah, but turtledove, like VeTor vegozal.
But it's an awkward name.
So ppl also named Toiba (toby) after her. Dropped the torah part.

Please please babe your dd something more typical.
Our if you want unique, at least give a typical middle name that age can choose to use of she wants as she grows older

etky

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:40 am
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
And I know a girl named Torah... named after a choshuv Israeli woman named toiba torah.
Not abt the Torah, but turtledove, like VeTor vegozal.
But it's an awkward name.
So ppl also named Toiba (toby) after her. Dropped the torah part.

Please please babe your dd something more typical.
Our if you want unique, at least give a typical middle name that age can choose to use of she wants as she grows older

It depends where you live and which you circles you move in.
Oryan sounds totally normal to my ears and I can't imagine it raising any eyebrows.
If anything Toiba would be very odd.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:42 am
Cant you pick a more mainstreamed name that she will appreciate?

etky

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:48 am
משמעות השם היא ספר התורה בשפה הארמית. הביטוי "בר-אורין" הוא בן תורה, כלומר תלמיד חכם. כמו שניתן לראות מן המקור התלמודי הבא:
דרש ההוא גלילאה עליה דרב חסדא: בריך רחמנא דיהב אוריאן תליתאי לעם תליתאי, על ידי תליתאי, ביום תליתאי, בירחא תליתאי, כמאן – כרבנן. (תלמוד בבלי מסכת שבת דף פח עמוד א)
[תרגום לעברית: דרש ההוא הגלילי על רב חסדא: ברוך אלוקים שנתן ספר משולש לעם משולש, על ידי שלושה, ביום שלישי בחודש השלישי, כמי? כחכמים.]
ורש"י מפרש – "אוריאן תליתאי – תורה נביאים וכתובים, לעם תליתאי – כהנים לוים וישראלים."

כמו כן, השם פותח במילה אור, שלה משמעויות כלליות של השפעת הטוב (ראו – "אור").
הורים הקוראים כך לילדתם מבטאים בזאת את שאיפתם שילדתם תרבה חכמה ואור, וזאת מתוך זיקתם לתרבות הספר היהודית.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 11:00 am
Here’s my beef with unique names: are tou thinking about yourself-or your child?
It is not fair nor right to give a child a name that will cause problems when they grow up. Make sure it works in your community and add a more common name in case child wants to change how they are called. And if you really really love the name, and it’s too wierd for your community, go add it to yourself and leave the poor kids alone.
Bullying is enough of a problem without having a ridiculous name.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names