Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
If someone ships you a gift....
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 7:07 pm
I run a gift shop in Israel, and we are always getting complaints from people that their gift didn't arrive. By now we know that the receiver usually didn't call to acknowledge it.

I want to add a big message to each gift "please call receiver to thank them!"

By now I know it's the right thing to do... but it makes me think of the gifts I have received and never called to say thank you...

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 8:57 pm
I'm terrible awriting thank you cards. I prefer you don't send me a gift if I'm expected to write a thank you note.
If you ship me a gift, let me know to expect it, and I will try to let you know when it arrives. However, though I agree that a text takes only seconds, it's not always convenient to send it the moment you receive the pkg. And then it's easy to forget to send a text later. I walk into my house after work with my hands full. I can't text until I put everything down. By the time my hands are empty, I'm in the kitchen and need to start dinner, wash anything in the sink, put groceries away etc. The pkg which is still in the living room has by then been forgotten for the moment. Hopefully I get back to check it later in the evening, but if it's a Thursday night, I rarely leave the kitchen, and may not see or remember the pkg until friday cleanup. And if my phone is not nearby, I'm gonna clean and not look for it. Hopefully I will get a chance to send a thank u text by motzei shabbos or sunday-depending on what life brings then.

I have good intentions, doesn't mean I'm able to carry them out.

amother
Peony

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 10:49 pm
Listen there's a hundred ways to be dlkz but in reality it's a bit rude.
I had a baby last year and when someone left dinner or a gift at my door, as soon as I took it in I would snap a picture and send a thank you text. So easy!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 12:41 am
When I’m busy, I often don’t open packages right away.
For sure after birth - packages can go down to the way bottom of what needs to be done.
Please be dlkz.

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 1:53 am
I agree, but new mom brain is a real thing. It's not that there's no time to send a two second text, it's that she'll think to do it, but then the baby cries. She takes care of the baby, but then her bladder is bursting. Then the laundry machine beeps. Then the baby cries again. And once all of it is done she sits down for a cup of tea and knows she had something she was about to do but for the life of her can't remember what it was. And there's dozens of two seconds texts to send, to every friend and family member who sent her a gift or a lasagna or helped out somehow...

You're right people should try and be better about acknowledging gifts. But new moms get a break, in my opinion.

Tof Umachol

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 3:04 am
I certainly agree in principle.
I actually try to call to thank someone more personally/warmly for a gift, but if I think I won't get to that I send a text.
But keep in mind that the time you saw it arrive might not be the time they actually had the package in their hands.
For example, many times my kids will bring in a package when I'm not at home, and forget to show it to me until a few days have passed!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics