Home

Quinoa- does it still need to be checked?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 9:12 pm
I haven’t bought quinoa for a year since I heard
It was infested. Has anything changed? Can I buy quinoa without checking for bugs?
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 9:13 pm
I have a thread from a few weeks ago with a picture of the bugs I found in quinoa.

Checking means shaking it in a fine mesh strainer over a white plate or paper btw, it’s not really time consuming.

(Oh and I only found bugs once, out of 20+ bags.)

ETA link: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....44447
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 9:16 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
I have a thread from a few weeks ago with a picture of the bugs I found in quinoa.

Checking means shaking it in a fine mesh strainer over a white plate or paper btw, it’s not really time consuming.

(Oh and I only found bugs once, out of 20+ bags.)

ETA link: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....44447


Ew
But thanks

Are the cleaner looking brands like Pereg any better?
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 9:18 pm
Honestly I only found bugs once, and not in the Great Value ones either. I’d check any bag I bought, whatever the brand. Like I said it’s really not a major job, it takes less than 30 seconds. Pour bag into strainer, shake over plate, check plate for bugs.
Back to top

amother




Copper
 

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 9:24 pm
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
Honestly I only found bugs once, and not in the Great Value ones either. I’d check any bag I bought, whatever the brand. Like I said it’s really not a major job, it takes less than 30 seconds. Pour bag into strainer, shake over plate, check plate for bugs.

A d what do you do of there are bugs on the plate? Throw it all out?
Back to top

amother




Glitter
 

Post Sat, Nov 20 2021, 9:27 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
A d what do you do of there are bugs on the plate? Throw it all out?

It only happened once despite DH eating A LOT of quinoa, but yeah, I’d assume the whole bag is infested and toss it. (I threw that bag out.)
Back to top

amother




Navyblue
 

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:58 am
Pardon my ignorance, but don't all grains have to be checked?
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Still seeking accurate lyrics. 32 Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:35 am View last post
TIME SENSITIVE. canned beans from last week still good?
by amother
4 Wed, Jan 19 2022, 4:07 pm View last post
Quick- can I still use this half n half?
by amother
8 Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:51 pm View last post
Is this info about JFK still accurate? 2 Mon, Jan 10 2022, 12:50 pm View last post
Is the dough still good? 5 Wed, Jan 05 2022, 9:28 pm View last post