Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I hate when manufacturers perpetuate diet culture

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:18 pm
A certain low carb cookie was recently rebranded and introduced into stores. Their copy uses terms like "cheating on diet" and they seem to be overall 100% into diet culture. At a time when eating disorders are skyrocketing, I don't think society should tolerate language that is linked to a cultural environment that creates a higher risk of eating disorders.
I also find it very annoying because I personally would want to buy a product like theirs, but I have seen firsthand too many people harmed by diet culture to not be repulsed by their marketing. And I know I'm not the only one who needs low carb and sugar free not because I'd feel guilty eating a regular cookie occasionally, but because eating one would cause me physical harm in a way that it really doesn't for people who don't have the same (or a similar) health condition.

hodeez

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:19 pm
This reminds me of Demi Lovato and froyo shop.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:26 pm
hodeez wrote:

That's a hurtful comparison. And don't shoot the message.

hodeez

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's a hurtful comparison. And don't shoot the message.

Please mochel me I didn't mean to cause you pain. I just feel like if it's the type of food that is good for you to eat, why does the messaging matter? But this is all coming from a place of ignorance, if it truly hurts you I'm sure there's a valid reason.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:33 pm
They market their products in a way that will sell best.

The name change is not as much as part of the problem as it is a symptom of it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:35 pm
hodeez wrote:
Please mochel me I didn't mean to cause you pain. I just feel like if it's the type of food that is good for you to eat, why does the messaging matter? But this is all coming from a place of ignorance, if it truly hurts you I'm sure there's a valid reason.
The messaging does real harm. Similar messaging led me to disordered eating when I was younger, and that kind of thinking on a cultural level leads to a higher incidence of serious eating disorders.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 6:37 pm
lamplighter wrote:
They market their products in a way that will sell best.

The name change is not as much as part of the problem as it is a symptom of it.

This is not necessarily true. They market their products in the way they think will sell best. Marketing departments are not always right. Sometimes businesses make mistakes.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 7:34 pm
I'm with you.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A certain low carb cookie was recently rebranded and introduced into stores. Their copy uses terms like "cheating on diet" and they seem to be overall 100% into diet culture. At a time when eating disorders are skyrocketing, I don't think society should tolerate language that is linked to a cultural environment that creates a higher risk of eating disorders.
I also find it very annoying because I personally would want to buy a product like theirs, but I have seen firsthand too many people harmed by diet culture to not be repulsed by their marketing. And I know I'm not the only one who needs low carb and sugar free not because I'd feel guilty eating a regular cookie occasionally, but because eating one would cause me physical harm in a way that it really doesn't for people who don't have the same (or a similar) health condition.

I solve this problem by not buying these items. Voting with my wallet so to speak. I have learned to live my life happily and healthily without eating such things. I miss nothing by choosing other foods instead, regardless of marketing.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:14 am
hodeez wrote:

I don’t understand this reference.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:25 am
I cannot tell you how many times I pick up "dietetic" products and read the labels just to see that it may be low on carbs, but full of sugar and fat and vice versa.

It's important to always read the nutrition labels.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:41 am
andrea levy: https://www.eater.com/22393899.....ained

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:18 pm
zaq wrote:
andrea levy: https://www.eater.com/22393899.....ained

Oy. Well, they are entitled to their opinion but I’m pretty much if the opinion that we all need to be responsible for our own actions. For example: if it’s triggering to me to walk into a restaurant, then if it’s so important to me to get that good, either I need to get over my trigger or I need an alternative way to get the food.

I mean, I haven’t in a while because of Covid but in the couple of years before that when I had changed my way of eating, I went to Simchas. After a while it was just too much work to figure out what was safe for me and what Was
Nt. If I saw something obvious that worked for me, I ate it. If not, I did not. I never went to an event starving and if I needed to eat when I got home, I did. I accepted the consequences of my choices instead of imposing them on others.

Much like when I was invited for a meal, I’d bring my own food in case there wasn’t anything I could eat. That saved me more than once. I mean who ever heard of putting honey in Israeli salad? That happened once too.

I used to be triggered by compliments about my weightloss. At some point, I realized that I needed to get over that if I was going to stay on my path. So I did work on it. Zehu. We all have work to do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise