Home

Spin off... 1980s
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Gracie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:39 am
Was totally obsessed with Macgyver!!!
Back to top

Gracie




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:51 am
Anyone remember garbage pail kids cards that we used to collect?
Also pound puppies!
Monchichi- those cute monkey dolls
Delicious smelling strawberry shortcake figures
Smurfs!
Back to top

etky




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 1:56 am
It's funny cause lots of what people are posting isn't really distinctively 80's.
Nancy Drew? Lanyard bracelets? All of a Kind Family? Super Balls? Jump rope and Chinese jump rope and Cat's Cradle? Viewmaster? Barbie? The Bobbsey Twins? Mood Rings? Paper plane tickets? Romper Room? Hook rugs? Lite Brte? Magic Garden and Captain Kangaroo? None of these are distinctively eighties.
Much of what is being posted by posters who are probably 10-15 years younger than me, who were children rather than teens/young adults in the eighties, are the same things that I associate with my childhood in the seventies and some are from even earlier decades.
Don't forget that way back then in the previous millennium, things didn't change as rapidly as they do now. Trends and things in general stuck around much longer that they do now.
Back to top

etky




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:08 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I grew up in the 80s in Israel and do remember cloth diapers from the early 80s my grandmother would bring in disposable ones from the US and my parents would use them for my sister only on Shabbat, (I guess for me too 🤷‍♀️but obviously I don’t remember), I think they had them here but they were very expensive. By the time my second sister was born in the mid-80s disposable diapers were readily available.
I have no idea what those wooden carts in supermarkets are though.
It’s funny reading through this thread, because a lot of these things didn’t make it to Israel until the early 90s (fax machine, cds, TV shows etc) and you wouldn’t believe what our makolet looked like in the 80s - probably very much like America in the 40s.
Israel really was close to a third world country until the early 90s.


Totally.
Israel in the eighties (and certainly before )was like on a different planet than the US.
The early 90's were indeed the watershed years.
I particularly remember that the advent of CNN - especially its coverage of the Gulf War - created tremendous change and ushered in a new age in terms of Israel finally being tied into world media.
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 2:13 am
Cindy Lauper, Thomas Dolby, high school, university…
Back to top

DrMom




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 4:17 am
etky wrote:
It's funny cause lots of what people are posting isn't really distinctively 80's.
Nancy Drew? Lanyard bracelets? All of a Kind Family? Super Balls? Jump rope and Chinese jump rope and Cat's Cradle? Viewmaster? Barbie? The Bobbsey Twins? Mood Rings? Paper plane tickets? Romper Room? Hook rugs? Lite Brte? Magic Garden and Captain Kangaroo? None of these are distinctively eighties.
Much of what is being posted by posters who are probably 10-15 years younger than me, who were children rather than teens/young adults in the eighties, are the same things that I associate with my childhood in the seventies and some are from even earlier decades.
Don't forget that way back then in the previous millennium, things didn't change as rapidly as they do now. Trends and things in general stuck around much longer that they do now.

That's what I was thinking.
Nancy Drew stories were first published in the 1930s.
The first Bobbsey Twins book was first published in 1904!
Romper Room was first broadcast in the 1950s.
etc.
Back to top

amother




Lotus
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 4:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
I had a Fisher Price dollhouse growing up, and a Fisher price town set.

The town consisted of two rows of buildings, that you connected with a bridge that fit into the ends....it had a traffic light on it with a little button you could press which changed the "light" between red, yellow, and green (I think it was a little revolving thing inside...not electronic.)

The buildings were two stories each, and we had tons of accessories to furnish them. I particularly loved the dentist office, we had these little plastic chairs with a side "cup" attached that looked like the piece where you rinse your mouth.....The doors all had mail slots for "mail" and there was a mailbox.

OMG I found it online

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19288.....D_BwE

I had all of these! OMG that phone booth!

The dollhouse was similar to the Playmobil take-along look - it opened down the middle to two sides, and closed with a latch. It had two stories, and each floor had furniture you could set up - beds, tables, chairs, etc....The door opened and closed and there was a real bell you could pull and sound, of course not on Shabbos!

This is the one I had: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35367.....D_BwE

We had tons of "mentchies" (I knew that was a yiddish word) that were really round bodies with a hole in the center, no arms or legs, and a face on top. Girls (some pigtailed) and boys, taller ones were the adults, some had accessories (like a firehat for the fireman - there was a firestation in town but I don't remember details) or features (the adult with the mustache was our choice for the dentist).

We also had cars, a mailtruck, a firetruck, police car, ambulance and an airplane (and more, probably, that I don't remember). The seats had a center protruding piece so that the hollows of the "metchies" fit in side, so they could be seated.

I spent hours of imaginary play with this.

My parents told me the first day I got the FisherPrice Village I played with it for 6 hours. Very Happy
Back to top

amother




Lotus
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:06 am
mindyme wrote:

In the Bobbsey twins they refer to their household help as "colored" I had never heard the term and remember at the time wondering what color she was - purple? green?

I read about a colored person in one of three Carolyn Haywood (B is for Betsy series) books. I imagined she was multi- colored like a rainbow- otherwise the author would have specified the color.
Back to top

shirachadasha




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:10 am
Chayalle wrote:
LOL. We definitely had it in the later 80's.

You mean in that quiet out of town city that was over an hour away from any action? Tongue Out
Back to top

amother




Tomato
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 6:10 am
Anyone mentioned the J&J orange square boxed drinks that we had on every trip? We would drink it warm....
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:44 am
mindyme wrote:

painting your nails with glue, letting it dry and peeling it off


I remember in the low 80's, I think when I was in the 3rd grade...we used to color our palms with marker, and then spread it with glue. As the glue semi-dried, we'd start sort of swirling and smushing it, forming a colored, sticky mess. Then we'd shape it into a square, and when it fully dried, draw dots on it to create a die.

We thought that was super-cool, of course.

(and our mothers for sure wondered why we persistently colored our palms...)
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:46 am
mindyme wrote:
B is for Betsy
Ramona series
Judy Blume books
Mouse and the motorcycle
Beverly Cleary books in general
the Littles - loved those
In the Bobbsey twins they refer to their household help as "colored" I had never heard the term and remember at the time wondering what color she was - purple? green?


Definitely grew up on Beverly Cleary. She authored all the Ralph books and the Ramona series. My kids also enjoyed these when they were younger.

For some reason my mother did not like Judy Blume, and I wasn't given those to read.
Back to top

amother




Dahlia
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:10 am
Chayalle wrote:
Definitely grew up on Beverly Cleary. She authored all the Ralph books and the Ramona series. My kids also enjoyed these when they were younger.

For some reason my mother did not like Judy Blume, and I wasn't given those to read.


Hmmmm I wonder why 🤔
Back to top

amother




Dahlia
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:12 am
etky wrote:
It's funny cause lots of what people are posting isn't really distinctively 80's.
Nancy Drew? Lanyard bracelets? All of a Kind Family? Super Balls? Jump rope and Chinese jump rope and Cat's Cradle? Viewmaster? Barbie? The Bobbsey Twins? Mood Rings? Paper plane tickets? Romper Room? Hook rugs? Lite Brte? Magic Garden and Captain Kangaroo? None of these are distinctively eighties.
Much of what is being posted by posters who are probably 10-15 years younger than me, who were children rather than teens/young adults in the eighties, are the same things that I associate with my childhood in the seventies and some are from even earlier decades.
Don't forget that way back then in the previous millennium, things didn't change as rapidly as they do now. Trends and things in general stuck around much longer that they do now.


Yep, I can tell who was a younger child of the 80s and who spent their childhood in the 70s!
Back to top

BetsyTacy




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:19 am
etky wrote:
Totally.
Israel in the eighties (and certainly before )was like on a different planet than the US.
The early 90's were indeed the watershed years.
I particularly remember that the advent of CNN - especially its coverage of the Gulf War - created tremendous change and ushered in a new age in terms of Israel finally being tied into world media.


I think of Israel as two eras: colored crepe paper toilet paper as norm vs. white toilet paper as norm.
When I say "norm", yes I know white toilet paper existed but it was not the standard expected.
Back to top

chanchy123




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:48 am
MrsDash wrote:
You'd be surprised by how many here lived in Israel in the 80s Wink

Count me in.
Back to top

amother




Steelblue
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:13 pm
Esky stickers puffy with googly eyes with the cutest sayings the yarmulke said "Am I my brother's keepa"
Anyone remember others?
Back to top

Sprinkles1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I remember in the low 80's, I think when I was in the 3rd grade...we used to color our palms with marker, and then spread it with glue. As the glue semi-dried, we'd start sort of swirling and smushing it, forming a colored, sticky mess. Then we'd shape it into a square, and when it fully dried, draw dots on it to create a die.

We thought that was super-cool, of course.

(and our mothers for sure wondered why we persistently colored our palms...)


Ha ha, I thought of that yesterday, but didnt think anyone else remembered it! We used to do it in middle of class under our desks. Make all different shapes out of it.
Back to top

amother




Jean
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:18 pm
Tamagotchis! Who remembers? Was such a fad, but prob later like in the 90's
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 12:23 pm
Sprinkles1 wrote:
Ha ha, I thought of that yesterday, but didnt think anyone else remembered it! We used to do it in middle of class under our desks. Make all different shapes out of it.


I also remember that. Not sure if anyone remembers fruit leather on the finger - yuck. (Or is it still done?)
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 17 of 18 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Spin off functional medicine & assertiveness
by amother
18 Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:38 pm View last post
Spin of from daughter didn't get s period yet
by amother
15 Tue, Oct 05 2021, 9:04 am View last post
[ Poll ] Spin-off do your kids know your vac status?
by amother
40 Tue, Aug 24 2021, 1:27 am View last post
Spin-off: Crookshanks - please help find a white top
by amother
5 Tue, Apr 27 2021, 5:23 pm View last post
Spin off... asking others to vaccinate 12 Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:19 pm View last post