Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Cholent alternatives

amf

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 4:49 pm
DH and I are both not fans of cholent (no kids eating yet either). What else can I make in the crockpot? I did yapchik once and it wasn't so great, the crust was gray and soggy and there was not so much flavor

I was thinking a chuck roast somehow- but whole? Sliced? How to serve?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 4:50 pm
Pulled beef

isrmss91

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 4:51 pm
Chilli

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 4:55 pm
I make an alternative cholent, not an alternative TO cholent.
I got a small (1qt I think?) crock pot. I put water in the bottom, half a cup of rice, 1 cubed small potato, half a small onion, sometimes sweet potato. I put 1 cup of water, then a little sat, garlic, and then paprika. I put half a piece of cheek meat on top, then put water to cover the meat. It tastes different than cholent, which I don’t like.

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 5:02 pm
I am embarrassed to admit that I make the worst cholent in the world. I have tried every allegedly foolproof recipe, and all that's happened is that I've been proven a fool for trying.

Here are some of my alternatives:

* Meat marinara sauce served with noodles. Brown ground beef and combine it with your own or jarred marinara sauce in the crockpot. Boil noodles and store them with a little oil in a ziploc-type bag. Take out the noodles early so they get to at least room temperature and serve with the sauce.

* Meatballs -- same idea. Make meatballs and put them in the crockpot with whatever sauce you like or have on hand.

* Hamburgers or mini-meatloafs. Of course, hamburgers are mini-meatloafs, but if the round shape seems too much like a weekday meal, form them into ovals.

* Hot dogs in barbeque sauce. Cut hot dogs in small pieces and combine with barbeque or sweet-and-sour sauce. Set the crockpot on "warm" -- otherwise they tend to get overdone.

* Chicken -- broil or brown the chicken, but don't cook it fully. Place in the crockpot and add sauce if you like. By the next day's meal, it will be tender and fall off the bone.

* Corned beef deckel. Put in the corned beef deckel with duck sauce or anything similar.

* Soup. Hearty soups like minestrone work great in the crockpot. Also recommend using "warm" to avoid cooking down the liquid.

Good luck! And if I ever find a recipe for cholent that (a) I am capable of making; and (b) that people actually like, I'll be sure to advertise it.

jfk92

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 5:10 pm
We have it a little different because of various allergies and prefrences.
1. Mix of barely and chickpeas.
2. Veg is onion, sweet potatoe and small yellow potatoe (not those teeny ones)
3. Not beef or turkey but topped with 2/3 whole chicken legs. Ive done skin on and skin off.
4. Depending on crowd ive also done it with eggs and my favorte- wrap a jachnun in foil and put at top.
Spiced as my chulent is. Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, touch of cumin and black pepper and a good amount of salt.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 5:12 pm
I've many times made chicken soup in the crock pot for shabbos day. It turns brown - looks more like a beef broth - but still so delicious.
I sometimes do black beans and rice in the crock pot.
Many times I'll put up a small roast or some ribs or flanken with tons of onions and garlic and lots of liquid (I like using beer or wine) and then have rice separately in a rice cooker.
Yapchik in a crock pot doesn't crust up so nicely like in an oven, but it's still delicious. If yours was bland just add more spice.

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 5:36 pm
Bbq pulled beef. Ridiculously easy recipe (any cut and barbecue sauce, cooked over shabbat then shredded with two forks). If you want to bother, a homemade bourbon barbecue sauce goes a long way, but it's not necessary.

naomi2

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 6:04 pm
Lamb stew- lamb, barley, Potato, garlic, onion, seasoning
A whole chicken, spiced
Beef stew- cubed meat or small pot roast, onion, potato, sweet potato, carrot, a small can of tomato sauce, seasoning

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 7:05 pm
Soup, Chicken thighs on the bone with onion and sweet potatoes, Lamb stew

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 7:13 pm
Do you specifically want something for the main course or would a hot appetizer be enough? We never make chulent, but our usual Shabbos lunch is crockpot soup for an appetizer and then chicken, kugel, and coleslaw/salad for the main. My usual recipes for the soups can be found here: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04082

amf

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:20 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I've many times made chicken soup in the crock pot for shabbos day. It turns brown - looks more like a beef broth - but still so delicious.
I sometimes do black beans and rice in the crock pot.
Many times I'll put up a small roast or some ribs or flanken with tons of onions and garlic and lots of liquid (I like using beer or wine) and then have rice separately in a rice cooker.
Yapchik in a crock pot doesn't crust up so nicely like in an oven, but it's still delicious. If yours was bland just add more spice.

Yum! Thanks fot the ideas everyone!

The small roast- how do you serve it? Sliced thickly? Shredded?

amf

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:20 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Pulled beef

How do you make it?

amf

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:21 pm
Teomima wrote:
Bbq pulled beef. Ridiculously easy recipe (any cut and barbecue sauce, cooked over shabbat then shredded with two forks). If you want to bother, a homemade bourbon barbecue sauce goes a long way, but it's not necessary.

Sounds incredible! Do you have a recipe for the sauce?

amf

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:22 pm
Fox wrote:
I am embarrassed to admit that I make the worst cholent in the world. I have tried every allegedly foolproof recipe, and all that's happened is that I've been proven a fool for trying.

Here are some of my alternatives:

* Meat marinara sauce served with noodles. Brown ground beef and combine it with your own or jarred marinara sauce in the crockpot. Boil noodles and store them with a little oil in a ziploc-type bag. Take out the noodles early so they get to at least room temperature and serve with the sauce.

* Meatballs -- same idea. Make meatballs and put them in the crockpot with whatever sauce you like or have on hand.

* Hamburgers or mini-meatloafs. Of course, hamburgers are mini-meatloafs, but if the round shape seems too much like a weekday meal, form them into ovals.

* Hot dogs in barbeque sauce. Cut hot dogs in small pieces and combine with barbeque or sweet-and-sour sauce. Set the crockpot on "warm" -- otherwise they tend to get overdone.

* Chicken -- broil or brown the chicken, but don't cook it fully. Place in the crockpot and add sauce if you like. By the next day's meal, it will be tender and fall off the bone.

* Corned beef deckel. Put in the corned beef deckel with duck sauce or anything similar.

* Soup. Hearty soups like minestrone work great in the crockpot. Also recommend using "warm" to avoid cooking down the liquid.

Good luck! And if I ever find a recipe for cholent that (a) I am capable of making; and (b) that people actually like, I'll be sure to advertise it.

Thanks! These are some great ideas
How do you serve the corned beef?

ctgal20

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 8:50 pm
I make a brisket and it’s sooo good! Try any brisket recipe. The trick is to cook it on HIGH for 2 hours before shabbos and then put it on keep warm for the rest of the time. It cooks very slowly and is melt in your mouth and perfect shabbos day.

lkwdgirl

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:56 pm
What about yapchik

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:25 am
amf wrote:
Sounds incredible! Do you have a recipe for the sauce?

I make this with bottled sauce. You really don't need to patchke. It cooks for 24 hours.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:52 am
amf wrote:
How do you make it?

I've only done it with turkey breast as that was what I had to get rid of and it seemed like the only way my family would allow it. I put the cooked meat in the processor on the slice black and then mixed with BBQ. I guess the real way would be to put a brisket or something like that on the crockpot with BBQ sauce and then shred with forks once it's done.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:42 am
We like taking a collagen filled piece of meat and adding spices onions/garlic with broth or water to cover. In particular we like lamb belly but beef plate also works. We don’t add starch. Maybe carrots and celery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus