Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
S/O- Suitcases on a bed
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:41 am
The dirt on the wheels can ruin the linen and it wouldn’t always come out in the wash. Linen is not made to handle mud and whatever other stuff the wheel went through. Especially pretty linen that’s often washed on delicate and cold. Definitely inappropriate to keep a suitcase on a bed. I would never do it as a guest and would be bothered to have muddy linen as a host. Please be considerate.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:07 am
amother [ Opal ] wrote:
If you have ever been to a hotel. EVER. You know what a luggage rack is.

Oh, IDK about that. A person may have been in a hotel and not realized what the luggage rack is for. I think it took me a few moments to figure it out the first time I saw one, and then only because I'd read the term in a book. It looks a bit like a portable folding seat that people take to the beach, or maybe a very small rack for drying socks.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:09 am
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
The dirt on the wheels can ruin the linen and it wouldn’t always come out in the wash. Linen is not made to handle mud and whatever other stuff the wheel went through. Especially pretty linen that’s often washed on delicate and cold. Definitely inappropriate to keep a suitcase on a bed. I would never do it as a guest and would be bothered to have muddy linen as a host. Please be considerate.

Salut Thumbs Up

It's no different from putting shoes on a bed. Mind you, I know people do this; I just can't figure out why.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:10 am
When I pack at home I first line the bed with garbage bags and then put the suitcase on it. At another person's house, I would not put the suitcase on the bed. It's gross. And no I'm not some crazy germaphobe.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:16 am
I once had a couple who stayed by me while I was away. When I came back I found my white baby dresser full of marks and scratches. I asked what happened and they said they didn’t want to put the them on the beds so they put the suitcases on the dresser instead…

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:17 am
SuperWify wrote:
I once had a couple who stayed by me while I was away. When I came back I found my white baby dresser full of marks and scratches. I asked what happened and they said they didn’t want to put the them on the beds so they put the suitcases on the dresser instead…

Can't Believe It

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:18 am
I leave suitcases on the floor at home so I'd certainly do that as a guest.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:25 am
I don't know if this is a sign of my dysfunction but I always just put the case on the floor and leave it there. I don't bother unpacking, I just get things out of the case.
If I had to put the case on the bed, I would probably do it with the wheels sticking out the end, so it's not on the bed itself.

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
I don't know if this is a sign of my dysfunction but I always just put the case on the floor and leave it there. I don't bother unpacking, I just get things out of the case.
If I had to put the case on the bed, I would probably do it with the wheels sticking out the end, so it's not on the bed itself.

Dysfunctional? Why? When we go away, I don't unpack. Everything stays in the suitcase.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:38 am
Things that get dragged across the floor don't go on clean places, they stay on the floor.
I'm more neurotic than all of you though. I don't allow kids' backpacks on the couch. They also get gross from being on the floor, dragged, put in dusty areas, on the buses- no thanks.
Shoes, backpacks, luggage- if it goes on the ground, it needs to stay down there.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:37 pm
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
We have a luggage rack in the guest room.

So nice there's room. Does this allow the user to open the luggage easily?

boysrus

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:39 pm
thank you to all posters for educating me. I guess I don't travel often and this suitcase issue just hadn't occurred to me.
Next time my elderly parents come to visit, I now know to put down a big sheet on top of their beds before they put their suitcases down so that they can unpack without getting their beds dirty and without bending down on the floor.
thanks

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:03 pm
so those scenes in movies where someone throws a suticase dramatically on the bed and starts packing, just don't happen?

Seriously never thought about this before. I usually find a place to put the suitcase that is not the bed when I am away. But when packing I put it on my bed.

And Zaq, I always wash the duvet covers. Even though I use a sheet as well.

Agh, a few germs are good for you.

One day I will be rich enough to have a guest room (suite!) with a luggage rack. Until now they get to use my kids room.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:12 pm
I’ve been to hotels and never noticed luggage racks in the room. There are luggage racks outside, to wheel your luggage to your door. But never noticed any contraption in the room.

No one I know has a luggage rack in their guest room. If they even have a dedicated guest room.

I generally keep my suitcase on the floor. If your back is bad and you need it higher, just make sure the wheels are off the bed. Or put a towel underneath.

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:15 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
I’ve been to hotels and never noticed luggage racks in the room. There are luggage racks outside, to wheel your luggage to your door. But never noticed any contraption in the room.

No one I know has a luggage rack in their guest room. If they even have a dedicated guest room.

I generally keep my suitcase on the floor. If your back is bad and you need it higher, just make sure the wheels are off the bed. Or put a towel underneath.

What's used to wheel luggage into a room is called a luggage cart. A luggage rack is a small folding rack, it looks sort of like a folding table. It's usually in the closet of the hotel room. Some hotels have a small stand that looks like an ottoman. I've never been to a hotel that did not have a luggage rack or stand in the room.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Dysfunctional? Why? When we go away, I don't unpack. Everything stays in the suitcase.

Dh's family are very particular about unpacking everything when they get somewhere, so I feel a little sensitive about my non unpacking habits. My mil just doesn't understand why I don't unpack and comments every time when we go to visit.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can someone tell me what the issue is with suitcases on a bed? That's how we pack at home, and often access our luggage wherever we are staying. And the linen at wherever you're staying is going to get washed. What's wrong with putting them there? Most people don't have luggage racks. Do you ever put them there? Would you be upset if you knew your guests were?

My exterminator said not to put suitcases on a bed because suitcases pick up bed bugs and other insects when they are with other checked in luggage in an airplane.

amother
Stone

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
Dh's family are very particular about unpacking everything when they get somewhere, so I feel a little sensitive about my non unpacking habits. My mil just doesn't understand why I don't unpack and comments every time when we go to visit.

How would she know if you unpack or not? She shouldn't be going into your room.
I've been to so many guest rooms where there wasn't even where to unpack.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:28 pm
I learned my lesson when I was unpacking at home after coming home from being away. I put the suitcase on the unused bed in our bedroom and saw a slug on the wheel.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:30 pm
I hosted someone recently (for a simcha, not my own guest). It was just one man so I only made up one bed in the room and the other bed had just the mattress protector and unmade blankets and pillows. He put his suitcase on the unmade bed and I was not happy. Yuck.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics