Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Things unheard of before imamother?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

bunchagirlies

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:35 pm
sequoia wrote:
I almost fainted when I read that the “erliche” thing to do is to spray urine everywhere and create more work for whoever cleans. The erliche thing to do!!!

sorry! but my brothers and sons were all taught this, at the appropriate age, and our bathrooms are generally very clean! They learn to aim properly with their muscles, I guess.
I actually was once very annoyed at my son when I kept finding drying spots of yellow on my bathroom floor. he insisted it wasn't him, but he was my only boy using a toilet at that time. Turns out my DAUGHTER was sitting in a funny position, so she can watch herself urinate, and that caused the urine to shpritz between the toilet bowl top and toilet seat, and dribble down the front of the toilet!

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:43 pm
missknowitall wrote:
I just googled it and it’s in the dictionary, so it’s a real English word.

That's not the question. I am aware that it is a real word. But I haven't heard it used in the slang sense I've seen here, like that a certain person or atmosphere can be chilled.

Maryann

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:17 pm
sequoia wrote:
I almost fainted when I read that the “erliche” thing to do is to spray urine everywhere and create more work for whoever cleans. The erliche thing to do!!!

what does this mean/?

cholentfan1

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I never knew that there was a thing called “Yeshiva Week”.

Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of this-could you enlighten me?

There's a lot of different things I've learnt, often fascinating as I love hearing about different minhagim and how different people do things. I find there's a lot more openness here than I see irl in respect to birth control, intimacy etc which has been quite eye-opening.

cholentfan1

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:25 pm
Maryann wrote:
what does this mean/?

There was a thread recently and it somehow came up that boys are taught not to touch themselves when urinating, even if it causes the floor to get wet.

twolilgirlies

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:28 pm
cholentfan1 wrote:
There was a thread recently and it somehow came up that boys are taught not to touch themselves when urinating, even if it causes the floor to get wet.

Yes. I grew up with my brothers being taught that. When I mentioned in conversation to dh that boys are not allowed to wipe themselves he was shocked and grossed out…

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:30 pm
Where do I start 😆

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:43 pm
cholentfan1 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of this-could you enlighten me?

I also never heard of the term “Yeshiva week” before imamother.

It refers to midwinter vacation (usually mid-to-late January), when many different schools in the NY area (and elsewhere) coordinate to have vacation at the same time so that families can spend time together even if kids are spread out through different girl/boy/elementary/high schools.

Sometimes deals on vacations or family activities will be advertised as “Yeshiva week” deals - there are even Yeshiva Week cruises!

And many Florida natives know that Yeshiva Week brings a flood of frum people from colder climates, crowding the restaurants and streets, for better or for worse.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:02 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Women who wear pants and don’t cover their hair but still identify as “frum” (I’m not judging!!! I just never experienced it before… I would have assumed they called themselves something else, I guess?)
Please dont put the word frum into wuotation marks and then say you are not judging.
And frum women come in many different shapes and sizes. They dont all look the same. Please know that. And remember that.

Success10

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:06 pm
PANDAS.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:11 pm
That itch is the same as scratch.

“I itched my arm because I have a mosquito bite.” As an example…

🙃

Plonis

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:13 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Please dont put the word frum into wuotation marks and then say you are not judging.
And frum women come in many different shapes and sizes. They dont all look the same. Please know that. And remember that.

For most of us, there is an understanding of the word "frum." That means, lives life according to halacha.

Considering that there are few if any mainstream opinions that allow for women to wear pants, and that it is pretty much universally accepted that a married woman's hair must be covered, it would be surprising to hear someone dressed that way calling themselves frum.

This is not a judgment. I'm sorry if you take it as such. It is a disagreement about a definition.

saybesser

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:16 pm
Plonis wrote:
For most of us, there is an understanding of the word "frum." That means, lives life according to halacha.

Considering that there are few if any mainstream opinions that allow for women to wear pants, and that it is pretty much universally accepted that a married woman's hair must be covered, it would be surprising to hear someone dressed that way calling themselves frum.

This is not a judgment. I'm sorry if you take it as such. It is a disagreement about a definition.

+1

Plonis

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:21 pm
To add, it seems you consider "not frum" to be an insult.

To me, that is judgment.

I consider "not (yet) frum" to be a descriptor about someone's current general level of observance. Not a value statement.

I have not frum relatives. There is nothing derogatory about describing them that way. They are special people and there's a lot I can learn from them.

vanillatwilight

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:24 pm
Deleted because don’t want to hurt anyone feeling. Saw this phrase used in another thread

Last edited by vanillatwilight on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:31 pm
Plonis wrote:

Rav Henkin allows.

Can I be there when you tell him he’s not frum?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:32 pm
Plonis wrote:
To add, it seems you consider "not frum" to be an insult.

To me, that is judgment.

I consider "not (yet) frum" to be a descriptor about someone's current general level of observance. Not a value statement.

I have not frum relatives. There is nothing derogatory about describing them that way. They are special people and there's a lot I can learn from them.
Its an insult when the person IS actually frum. Very different if the person is not.
And again, I said there are many ways to be frum, 70 panim latorah. Different people hold things differently. There is no one way to be frum.
And of course I dont think not frum is an insult, for someone who indeed is not frum.

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:33 pm
I have a few no

Men are zex addicts
Everything is almost inappropriate
Going to a Rav if you think contact with your parents is not doing good for you
That Israel shouldn’t have Covid restrictions because they are home for every Jew and they are discriminating now against Jews who don’t choice to vaccine

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:34 pm
Plonis wrote:

you are generalizing and only talking about your community.
Where I live women who dont cover and wear pants are syill frum as I always say, I grew up learning that someone is frum if they keep kosher, TH and shabbat. Othing to do with tzniut and hair covering.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:38 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I truly only used quotation marks for clarification, to specify that they use the literal term “frum” rather than “observant” or “religious” or whatever.

Really, I’m not judging.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics