Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Things unheard of before imamother?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:40 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I truly only used quotation marks for clarification, to specify that they use the literal term “frum” rather than “observant” or “religious” or whatever.

Really, I’m not judging.
frum is just the yiddish word for orthodox or observant. Its all the same.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:43 pm
A lot of things mentioned are cultural. Meaning, if you aren’t part of a certain group etc it would be hard to know the term/concept, such as yeshiva week. A lot of things mentioned are more of a specific type/crowd, so it makes sense some people never heard of it.
2 new things for me are Laura Doyle and pandas! BH never needed to know much about tiger but both concepts were new

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:45 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I don’t know what connotations any of the above terms or other terms may have to different people.

“Charedi” for example, is not just “observant”, right?
Can we say that the mistake was mine, assuming that “frum” was a term that referred to a specific group of people who fit certain external appearances?

I joined imamother when I was barely 20, gimme some slack. I’m saying what I’ve learned in over 10+ years.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:51 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I don’t know what connotations any of the above terms or other terms may have to different people.

“Charedi” for example, is not just “observant”, right?
Can we say that the mistake was mine, assuming that “frum” was a term that referred to a specific group of people who fit certain external appearances?

I joined imamother when I was 19, gimme some slack. I’m saying what I’ve learned in over 10 years.

I'm coming to back you up. Frum literally means pious as far as I learned, and can be a synonym for Orthodox. But it's common to associate it with certain externals. People do use it that way so it's all part of the word.

Plonis

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:51 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
you are generalizing and only talking about your community.
Where I live women who dont cover and wear pants are syill frum as I always say, I grew up learning that someone is frum if they keep kosher, TH and shabbat. Othing to do with tzniut and hair covering.

Right, I hear that. But for many, the definition of frum is not limited to the Big Three. It is an acceptance of an overall Jewish lifestyle in all aspects of their lives.

Again, a definition thing.

If someone who keeps the Big Three calls themselves "observant" I wouldn't raise an eyebrow. The specific term "frum" implies (to me) more than that.

keym

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 3:57 pm
The amount of people who use a Bodekes. I knew that the concept existed, but I thought it was something a woman used maybe once in her lifetime.

All the musts that a chassan or his family MUST give his kalla. I joke to my husband that I have a running list of all the stuff he "owes" me. And I'm coming yeshivish OOT and got quite a bit of generous gifts- leichter, machzor, diamond chip bracelet, diamond ring, pearls. But apparently in some circles, that's a drop in the bucket.

Shabbos Nachamu and also Shabbos Chanuka with the seriousness entailed in the plans. Again, being raised OOT, we didn't go anywhere or have company. We were all on vacation and maybe we'd have latkes instead of kugel.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:03 pm
Can we please take the discussion of what makes one frum to one of the other numerous threads that have been posted on the topic? I’m pretty sure it won’t end any differently than the others did….

RevitalizedMom

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:09 pm
I learned many things on here, but what shocked me the most was that in some circles it’s not tznius to wear a white top or skirt.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:37 pm
That a woman’s value and virtue and future place in Shamayim rests solely on how tznius she dresses and how she covers her hair.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:43 pm
Not stacking dirty dishes on the shabbos table.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:45 pm
Surprised by how many people use the word "supper" instead of dinner.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 4:49 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Not stacking dirty dishes on the shabbos table.

People stack them on the TABLE?

mindyme

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:07 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Surprised by how many people use the word "supper" instead of dinner.

That may be area-dependent. I find NY area people more likely to say dinner, more OOT supper

Rubies

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:10 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Not to be nitty-gritty but as far as I know in the yiddish-speaking world it doesn't have that connotation.
There's shomer shabbos, heimish, 'nisht fin inzere', frim, farfrimt, chanyukish, and tzidreit. All levels of frum. These definitions are very much subjective on the person saying them and their level of observance.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:13 pm
Rubies wrote:
Not to be nitty-gritty but as far as I know in the yiddish-speaking world it doesn't have that connotation.
There's shomer shabbos, heimish, 'nisht fin inzere', frim, farfrimt, chanyukish, and tzidreit. All levels of frum. These definitions are very much subjective on the person saying them and their level of observance.

Voice to text

If you're speaking in one language and switch to a different for one word and then switch back it's usually not with a good connotation

Just something to keep in mind

Rubies

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:13 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Yes and scrape them too. Be prepared to grit your teeth.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:15 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

We stacked them on our guests heads. LOL

BokerTov

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:15 pm
MrsDash wrote:
We stacked them on our guests heads. LOL

Better than their beds. Near the suitcases.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:19 pm
BokerTov wrote:
Better than their beds. Near the suitcases.

Suitcases on beds? We don't even allow people on the beds!

BokerTov

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 5:20 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Suitcases on beds? We don't even allow people on the beds!

Right. Suitcases go on the bed, people sleep on the floor.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics