Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Things unheard of before imamother?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

shyner

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 7:36 pm
singleagain wrote:
I know. I meant that in general if you are speaking in English say and suddenly switch to Yiddish it looks like your hiding something unless you are truly bilingual and code switching

It depends on the context. As someone who grew up speaking both, I use Yiddish colloquialisms often when speaking English and my friends do too even if they can’t speak Yiddish it’s totally benign.
There are some people who will do what you describe.
This is common with many other languages too

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 7:46 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
People stack them on the TABLE?

I do. Why should I carry in 5 sets of two plates, when I can carry one set of 10?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 7:47 pm
mindyme wrote:
That may be area-dependent. I find NY area people more likely to say dinner, more OOT supper

I say both- grew up not in NY, been in NY 15 years

DallasIma

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:06 pm
That a hug can mean you *don't* like a post!

6000miles

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:26 pm
It's interesting to me that there wasn't a single thing on this thread that was new to me. And I grew up pretty sheltered in Williamsburg!

I think its because I read the Jewish magazines every single week since I'm like 10, so I got to know 70 panim latorah

mom18

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:40 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I understand it's uncommon, but before imamother I had literally never heard of spouses not calling each other by their first name.
really who does this? What do they call
Each other?

steak4me

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:41 pm
6000miles wrote:
It's interesting to me that there wasn't a single thing on this thread that was new to me. And I grew up pretty sheltered in Williamsburg!

I think its because I read the Jewish magazines every single week since I'm like 10, so I got to know 70 panim latorah

Seems like a lot of the things some of us posters didn’t know, originate from your side of town…

Last edited by steak4me on Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

yidisheh mama

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:41 pm
•That in some shuls women dance with the torah on simchas torah.
•As someone upthread mentioned- that boys are taught not to touch their pen¡s even while urinating.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:46 pm
Bringing your own wine and matza when you go to someone else’s Seder. This concept is just so bizarre to me and on here it’s talked about like it’s completely normal and accepted practice. I was so surprised that I asked my mom if she heard of it but she didn’t either.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:53 pm
mom18 wrote:
Each other?

There are threads about it here

Fave

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:54 pm
That there are families that weigh the kzaysim of matzah and Marror Erev Pesach. That’s a big job!

Rubies

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:11 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Bringing your own wine and matza when you go to someone else’s Seder. This concept is just so bizarre to me and on here it’s talked about like it’s completely normal and accepted practice. I was so surprised that I asked my mom if she heard of it but she didn’t either.

Own handmade matzah?

elmommy

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:15 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

They specifically told us to do this when I was in seminary and many of us stayed for pesach. It's really expensive to have a few people over for a seder because each person goes through almost a whole bottle of wine and a lot of matza. For a family having a bunch of girls over it's the thoughtful thing to do especially because many of those families were not wealthy ppl.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:24 pm
Fave wrote:
That there are families that weigh the kzaysim of matzah and Marror Erev Pesach. That’s a big job!

My in laws do that….

mindyme

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:42 pm
mom18 wrote:
Each other?

Chassidim. Maybe others too?
"Mommy and Totty". At least in front of others.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:54 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

Same. My husband is very makpid about what comes into the house on pesach, and he would not be happy if people showed up with food products.

mindyme

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:59 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

These are expensive items, plus some people are particular about type. In sem in Israel we were asked to bring our own. I can understand asking guests to bring if a family is not wealthy. Pesach in general is very expensive.

momandteacher

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:10 pm
That there are people who bathe with their kids!! (I still can't get over that one...)

mindyme

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:12 pm
momandteacher wrote:
That there are people who bathe with their kids!! (I still can't get over that one...)

Yes me too! And open bathroom doors...
I mean no offence and do what you like but that is really hard for me to wrap my head around.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:20 pm
I was surprised that virtually everyone takes BC.
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics