Home

Israeli Salatim- sefardi chefs please help!
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 6:08 pm
Sefardi ladies please help me!

My husband is Israeli spanish/persian and I'm also sefardi but my parents never had salatim by shabbos (theyre mishtaknezed LOL )

My husband loves salatim on Shabbat. I make matbucha, grilled chatzilim, babaganoush, egg salad, matbucha, tachina, chumus...

I want to learn how to make moroccan carrots, beet salad, and any other ideas you have! I like to make 10 homemade salatim a week (can you tell we only have a small baby atm lol!)

We went away for shabbos and the wife made these amazing charif peppers. They were long and I think she broiled them, peeled them and she put them in something bc they were soft. Does anyone know how to make this?


Please no mayo based dips. My husband will cry lol
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:36 pm
anyone??
Back to top

Dina2018




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:45 pm
https://www.google.de/amp/s/ja.....king/
Back to top

Dina2018




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:46 pm
no idea about salatim but love recipes from this site
Back to top

Lizzie4




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:46 pm
Olive Tapenade - super easy. Blend olives with a drizzle of olive oil and 2 garlic cloves.
Corn salad - corn, 1 red pepper diced small, 3-4 pickles diced small, a drop of mayo, mix
Pesto dip
Taboule - https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....6541, I like using dried mint instead of parsley
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....11575
Avodado salad - olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic, cumin, tajin for garnish if you have or add some tomato and fresh cilantro
Back to top

amother




Stoneblue
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:55 pm
Beets: Cube 3-4 large beets, mix with olive oil and salt, and roast uncovered at 350 for about 45 mins. When cooled, add 2 cloves minced garlic, a tsp of cumin, and juice of 1/2 a lemon.

P.s. Works just as well with boiled/canned beets, but, trust me, roasting them is worth it!
Back to top

naomi2




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 5:59 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Beets: Cube 3-4 large beets, mix with olive oil and salt, and roast uncovered at 350 for about 45 mins. When cooled, add 2 cloves minced garlic, a tsp of cumin, and juice of 1/2 a lemon.

P.s. Works just as well with boiled/canned beets, but, trust me, roasting them is worth it!

The beets that come in the vacuum pack are pretty good, better than the canned just inspect them and cut off any black parts from the top
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 6:46 pm
yum!!!
any other ideas?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 6:46 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
Olive Tapenade - super easy. Blend olives with a drizzle of olive oil and 2 garlic cloves.
Corn salad - corn, 1 red pepper diced small, 3-4 pickles diced small, a drop of mayo, mix
Pesto dip
Taboule - https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....6541, I like using dried mint instead of parsley
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....11575
Avodado salad - olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic, cumin, tajin for garnish if you have or add some tomato and fresh cilantro


yummy! whats tajin?
Back to top

SG2189




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 6:54 pm
Carrot salad- grate carrots, add olive oil, sour salt, salt and pepper. You can also add jalapeno for a kick.

Beet salad- boil beets until soft. Add lemon juice to the water to make them boil more quickly- it takes a while anyways. Grate or cube beets. Add olive oil, cumin, salt and sour salt.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 8:47 pm
Dina2018 wrote:
https://www.google.de/amp/s/jamiegeller.com/.amp/recipes/salatim-23-israeli-salads-and-spreads-you-need-to-start-making/


This is a fantastic link! Thanks!
Back to top

amother




DarkViolet
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:02 pm
SG2189 wrote:
Carrot salad- grate carrots, add olive oil, sour salt, salt and pepper. You can also add jalapeno for a kick.

Beet salad- boil beets until soft. Add lemon juice to the water to make them boil more quickly- it takes a while anyways. Grate or cube beets. Add olive oil, cumin, salt and sour salt.


These look great! Whats sour salt?
Back to top

amother




DarkViolet
 

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 9:08 pm
Boil beats and boil a potato.
Dice once cooled.
Add diced pickles.
Add in some canned peas.
Add in scoop of sourkraut (optional)
Mix with oil, salt, pepper.
Back to top

SG2189




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:36 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
These look great! Whats sour salt?


It's in the spices aisle at most groceries. Called מלח לימון in Israel.
Back to top

salt




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:48 am
Moroccan carrots:

Slice and boil carrots.
Drain the carrots and leave to cool.
add:
olive oil
lemon juice
chopped garlic
fresh chopped coriander
salt
cumin
Back to top

salt




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 5:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:


My husband loves salatim on Shabbat. I make matbucha, grilled chatzilim, babaganoush, egg salad, matbucha, tachina, chumus...



Can you tell me how to make matbucha please.
Back to top

Roots




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 6:45 am
beets:
cook beets for 1 hr
salt, olive oil, vingar, smashed garlic, honey and some cusbara
mix and serve
yum!

one type of chatzilim:
fry 1 eggplnat- I make them half circles
and then fry half a red pepper cut into strips- not for long
put them both in a bowl
add some fresh onion sliced thinly and pickles sliced into half circles
squeeze lemon juice ont op
add salt and cusbara

amazing green dip - always gets compliments
cilantro dill and parsley (כוסברה פטרוזיליה שמיר)
take a big bunch of each into a tall salad box
add garlic- take like 2-3 or more depending on how much you use and salt and I squeeze some lemon on top as well
add oil
and use an immersion blender and blend it up
it shrinks a lot -
sorry I dont have meauserements - just eye ball it

hatzlacha and shbbat shalom!
Back to top

WhatFor




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
Boil beats and boil a potato.
Dice once cooled.
Add diced pickles.
Add in some canned peas.
Add in scoop of sourkraut (optional)
Mix with oil, salt, pepper.


This looks great, but I'm curious - is this Sephardi? The ingredients would have had me guessing this was Ashkenazi.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:00 am
salt wrote:
Can you tell me how to make matbucha please.


sure, I broil a bunch of red and green peppers under the broiler, once they cool I peel them and slice into strips

on the stove top I saute a ton of fresh garlic, chili flakes or fresh hot peppers...

in my food processor I lightly blend 2 big cans of whole tomatoes. if I have any soft tomatoes in my fridge I submerge them in hot water, peel them, and throw them into my garlic on the stove (I dont like tomato skin in it)

I add salt, paprika (maybe a tablespoon and a bit), and a ton of olive oil
I add in the sliced grilled peppers

cook on low for a few hours

super easy and freezes beautifully. I also use leftovers as a base for moroccan fish
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:38 am
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
These look great! Whats sour salt?

Citric acid.

For cooking beets, my favorite method is to wrap whole, unpeeled beets in foil and roast. When they're done, the skin slips right off and because they were whole and wrapped, they lose none of their natural sweetness.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection

Related Topics Replies Last Post
If I am Israeli citizen can I go to Israel not vaccinated
by amother
48 Yesterday at 5:41 pm View last post
Israeli imamothers can you help? Furniture prices
by amother
2 Tue, Nov 30 2021, 10:30 am View last post
Iso authentic Israeli style dips/ salatim
by amother
12 Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:20 pm View last post
Generic gift for Israeli
by amother
8 Mon, Nov 15 2021, 8:23 am View last post
Sefardi Community in Lakewood
by amother
20 Sun, Nov 14 2021, 5:44 pm View last post