Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o...1990s memories!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:53 am
Success10 wrote:
OMG, waiting for hours to log into AOL through dialup.

The 90's sucked, guys.

Funny how I wrote just the opposite in the 80s thread. It's like technology came in and ruined all the fun!

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 7:56 am
honey36 wrote:
Anyone else use the tops of those hard plastic pencil case (it was in one of the collages) as glue molds?

Omg remember doing that??? Coloring the top of the supply box and making those glue book marks or whatever ๐Ÿ˜‚

baked ziti

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:11 am
Remember those pencil cases that had lots of compartments that opened when you pressed buttons?

professor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Shmuel Kunda tapes!! The Magic Yarmulka was a green casette, and one of the later ones was maroon.
Can we reminisce about those? I loved them, and can recite most of them nearly by heart. I'm so sad that today's generation doesn't really know them.

Oh my kids do

professor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:39 am
liveandlove.ima wrote:
funny how these items just sparked joy and made me want to be a kid again!!

OMG this was fun!!!! Oh the disposable cameras! The walkmans!

professor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:40 am
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
Nobody mentioned Lisa Frank!
Joker cups in the lunch room.
Paint nosh.
Olameinu delivered to school (I believe this lasted into the 2000s. too)

Wow yeah! My childhood... I miss it

sallysaucer

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 8:49 am
WhatFor wrote:
Those drinks on the bottom left!! What were they? I remember having them in day camp as a kid or something like them. I loved them!

We called those guzzlers. I remember buying them in canteen in our camp, cuz my mom rightfully never let it into our house.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:15 am
Fluorescent Elmer's glue. We would spread it on our palms and roll it in to make bracelets.
Anyone remember when Lahit came out? It was a huge deal in 95 or 96.
Call Waiting. That was huge. But almost no one had caller id so you needed to check your click to see who was calling in- it was the rules of being allowed to be on the phone with your friends for more than 10 minutes.
Calling Cards so you can call OOT (from your city) for 12ยข/minute so we would be maxed out at 8 minutes.
And the phone bill would come and out parents would scrutinize each number and charge us for calling our camp friends.

honey36

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:20 am
Napster- first way if downloading music onto the computer

AOL instant messenger

The shuls had those glass soda bottles. Every once in a while one would shatter and make a huge mess.

I remember wearing those huge petticoats when I was little

The slinky black skirts you could barely walk in

keym

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:23 am
Late 90s.
But anyone remember when the Stevenson Skirt came in. And the front zipper/back pocket debate.
Sweater sets
Rabbi Falk's Sefer came out in 98 or 99 and was highly controversial.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:29 am
Also Biz skirts.
And for Shabbos, suits with a colored or pattern scarf around the lapel or tucked in.
Black sheer stockings.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:36 am
keym wrote:
Late 90s.
But anyone remember when the Stevenson Skirt came in. And the front zipper/back pocket debate.
Sweater sets
Rabbi Falk's Sefer came out in 98 or 99 and was highly controversial.

Yes to the Stevenson skirt and sweater sets. And we never imagined R Falk's book would go so mainstream - I remember reading in it that a tall person couldn't walk between two short people because it wasn't tznius.

Also remember when Gap was selling all those sweatshirts and shirts with the stripe across the chest? It was usually a thick stripe with some thin stripes above and below it.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:42 am
WhatFor wrote:
Yes to the Stevenson skirt and sweater sets. And we never imagined R Falk's book would go so mainstream - I remember reading in it that a tall person couldn't walk between two short people because it wasn't tznius.

Also remember when Gap was selling all those sweatshirts and shirts with the stripe across the chest? It was usually a thick stripe with some thin stripes above and below it.

Remember the "Shira Skirt"? Camp Shira had a no back pocket rule so there was a special skirt in Brooklyn and Monsey. I lived OOT and we all laughed at that.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:54 am
keym wrote:
Remember the "Shira Skirt"? Camp Shira had a no back pocket rule so there was a special skirt in Brooklyn and Monsey. I lived OOT and we all laughed at that.

I'm not sure I remember the Shira skirt? What I do remember is that suddenly long skirts became not tznius because they were in style, so I was in trouble all the time. I kept trying to pick skirts that were "doodie length" (no idea how to spell that or what the origin of that word was Surprised ) even though I would've been nebby because I just wanted to stop being in trouble, but I must've kept missing the mark because I was still getting in trouble for having a skirt too long. Can't Believe It Can't Believe It

Oo remember chokers? And earlier in the nineties there was a pearl choker that was in. ETA: not really a pearl choker but a gold chain with a single pearl hanging off of it, iirc? This was more something that the wealthier girls in my class had.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:01 am
baked ziti wrote:
Remember those pencil cases that had lots of compartments that opened when you pressed buttons?

I wanted one so badly!! I was born in the late 80,s but I grew up in the 90s. I remember thinking my uncles car phone was the coolest thing. And I remember my teacher asking if any of our parents had a cell phone and only three kids raised their hands. I was one of the three and so proud. The thing I miss the most is chew chews. Bring them back!!

WhatFor

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:08 am
Goosebumps
Animorphs
Those Mary Kate and Ashley books

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:32 am
baked ziti wrote:

Yes I had a hello kitty one, it was so cool back then!

keym

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:37 am
Michael Jordan.

naomi2

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:46 am
Shreddies. I do know if it was just my school but we shredded the erasers and saved it in containers.
Curly shoelaces
Shobbos food was definitely different, there was a thread here about that
Mini van doors that you had to swing shut with all your might in order to close.
Real meters that took quarters in ny and you could see the dial moving to zero as time ran out.

dena613

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 11:52 am
Lol.
It was duty length.

I relate to lots of this!!!Remember

Remember purple and green heinz ketchup?!!??
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics