Home

My kids are off again today:(
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 7:39 am
I send my kids to a regular yeshiva.. It's oot, but still.
They had half day yesterday, erev Thanksgiving.
Today, the elementary girls and preschool have no school, and the boys only grade 3 and up.

What is this?? In what world is it okay not to have school.on Black Friday??

Not only that, many, many parents don't bother sending their kids to school at all these days. Why?? I can't understand that.
We have a bus chat.
Many parents posted that their boys won't be coming today. I simply can't understand why it's considered an optional day.

I'm not judging. I'm trying to understand.

Do your kids have off today also?

Ps. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving in any way. I understand many people do. But why is ok for a yeshiva, a Torah institution to have half day for a secular/national holiday?
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 7:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I send my kids to a regular yeshiva.. It's oot, but still.
They had half day yesterday, erev Thanksgiving.
Today, the elementary girls and preschool have no school, and the boys only grade 3 and up.

What is this?? In what world is it okay not to have school.on Black Friday??

Not only that, many, many parents don't bother sending their kids to school at all these days. Why?? I can't understand that.
We have a bus chat.
Many parents posted that their boys won't be coming today. I simply can't understand why it's considered an optional day.

I'm not judging. I'm trying to understand.

Do your kids have off today also?

Ps. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving in any way. I understand many people do. But why is ok for a yeshiva, a Torah institution to have half day for a secular/national holiday?


Because many parents are off and want to spend time with family and even go away for shabbos. Perhaps the school saw that when there was school there was low attendance.

I absolutely think that my kids should have off on legal holidays! I’m off but can’t spend time with them and can’t go away for the weekend (I’m talking x-mas, NY, MLK, Presidents’ Day etc) but they don’t. Bottom line: our opinion doesn’t impact what our schools do

I’m The only person I know at work today.
Back to top

amother




Peony
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:08 am
Our OOT school only had school on Monday this week. Tuesday was parent conference day, and the remaining days were off. No school for the boys this Sunday either.

For parents who work in secular workplaces, this week is usually a quiet one when coworkers expect a lot of people off. So we have the opportunity to take time off and even travel without the stress of falling behind at work. Even many people who don't celebrate Thanksgiving use this time to connect with family.
Back to top

amother




Stone
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:09 am
If the girls are off, and the parents are off, many people figure they might as well either go away for Shabbos or make other nice plans for a long weekend for the whole family if it only means keeping the boys home for what would have been a half day anyway
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:18 am
I am also OOT. We had a full day yesterday and today is slightly shorter. My kids get more then enough days off with the Jewish calendar I would be very upset if they had off for legal holidays. I was off yesterday and I am off today too.
Back to top

amother




Rainbow
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:19 am
I'm going to chime in from the school side.
I don't know your school's circumstances, but I know why we made our decisions.
We get no busing on legal holidays.
We also pay seperately for our building for those days (we rent, and if the building isn't open for others, it's not part of our lease).
Schools have secular studies teachers that our not of the same hashgafa/derech however you want to say it. And they expect a day off.
And finding subs...forget it.
So that can explain half a day on Thanksgiving. (We had a full day, just explain why others might have half)
And today, a short Friday with no busing that means parents have to drive, plus we would pay extra and not even get a full day for it, we decided to be closed.
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:21 am
Do you have school off next week for Chanukah.
A friend of mine oot told me they have thanksgiving weekend instead of Shabbos Chanukah bec easier for parents.
Back to top

notshanarishona




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:45 am
Half a day even many very yeshivish schools do, you can’t expect not Jewish teachers to come in on their holidays. I used to work in a chedar that insisted on having a full day (with less than 50% of teachers) and the kids literally played or watched videos all day because that’s what happens when you have double or triple classes. Waste of everyone’s time. And that’s beside the lack of bussing.
Back to top

amother




NeonOrange
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 9:18 am
We had a short day Wednesday, off Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving and one kid is off Monday for channukah.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 9:48 am
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Do you have school off next week for Chanukah.
A friend of mine oot told me they have thanksgiving weekend instead of Shabbos Chanukah bec easier for parents.

My girls are off Monday for chanuka, my boys are off next Friday and the following Monday. They both had shorter days yesterday and today. My HS son has shorter days all next week I think.
Back to top

amother




Bluebonnet
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 9:57 am
Our out of town school had a half day yesterday and regular school day today. bH.
Back to top

amother




Currant
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 10:02 am
oot- off yesterday and today, school monday and tuesday and then off again.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
If the girls are off, and the parents are off, many people figure they might as well either go away for Shabbos or make other nice plans for a long weekend for the whole family if it only means keeping the boys home for what would have been a half day anyway


OK. I guess I'm coming from a different perspective.
I am coming from the perspective that boys need to be trained that every day is a learning day. So even if it's a half day, it's more than worth it if they learn Torah.
I don't care that much about the secular studies and I understand that the non Jewish teachers have off.
But I wonder what kind of message we send to our kids when we take off a day of school because the parents might have vacation. It just really rubs me the wrong way. Especially since we have a new holiday called Black Friday that somehow justifies everything.

(BTW, when the kids are off for YT or chanuka vacation, the school ssns home a chart to mark off for learning and davening.
My boys go to shul to daven and learn on any days they have off. )
It just makes me sad that this is not a priority in my kids school.
Back to top

amother




Dandelion
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 10:52 am
Then you be the teacher. Have your kids learn something today. Try an alephbeta video they’re awesome.
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OK. I guess I'm coming from a different perspective.
I am coming from the perspective that boys need to be trained that every day is a learning day. So even if it's a half day, it's more than worth it if they learn Torah.
I don't care that much about the secular studies and I understand that the non Jewish teachers have off.
But I wonder what kind of message we send to our kids when we take off a day of school because the parents might have vacation. It just really rubs me the wrong way. Especially since we have a new holiday called Black Friday that somehow justifies everything.

(BTW, when the kids are off for YT or chanuka vacation, the school ssns home a chart to mark off for learning and davening.
My boys go to shul to daven and learn on any days they have off. )
It just makes me sad that this is not a priority in my kids school.


That’s a really hard core attitude. I believe kids need a break. And they need to be taught a LOVE for Torah, not (just) the rigors. If the parent (you) feels that it needs to be part of daily schedule then you need to implement that Into their schedule. Same as summertime or winter break or any other time they have off from school.
Back to top

amother




Stone
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:10 am
OP, what do you think about so called “Yeshiva week”? Even Kollel guys have bein hazmanim that’s not just the days of Yomim Tovim themselves. There is a concept of needing a break.
Back to top

amother




NeonPink
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:19 am
Also OOT. And off today.

The non-frum teachers want off. The schools have to close because the teachers won't work today. Older boys can go for limudei kodesh, since those teachers will come in. I know OOT schools that close the same week as public school, not yeshiva week, because of the teachers. (Remember, yeshiva week was created to give kids that break while not looking like they were closing for the non-Jewish holidays.)

I guess you could make girls come in for Torah studies too, and it's wroth questioning why we don't treat girls the same. But for sure, many schools in smaller communities you can't have a regular day of school.
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:24 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
OP, what do you think about so called “Yeshiva week”? Even Kollel guys have bein hazmanim that’s not just the days of Yomim Tovim themselves. There is a concept of needing a break.


Kollel guys don’t have off yeshiva week.
It’s succos, pesach and 3 weeks in summer.

The kids have off thanksgiving, Chanukah, and then mid winter week.

For a working paren it’s hard. For most SAHM it’s great.

It really depends on your life situation.

But sometimes I think if a mother is in a situation we’re she doesn’t have to work it’s very hurtful to say why do t ppl want to spend time with their kids.
I’d love to spend time with my kids.

I have few days off I use for yomim tovim. I need to work to eat.
I think it’s hurtful and insensitive to make those of us in this situation feel like we aren’t understanding parents.
Back to top

amother




Lime
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:27 am
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Kollel guys don’t have off yeshiva week.
It’s succos, pesach and 3 weeks in summer.

The kids have off thanksgiving, Chanukah, and then mid winter week.

For a working paren it’s hard. For most SAHM it’s great.

It really depends on your life situation.

But sometimes I think if a mother is in a situation we’re she doesn’t have to work it’s very hurtful to say why do t ppl want to spend time with their kids.
I’d love to spend time with my kids.

I have few days off I use for yomim tovim. I need to work to eat.
I think it’s hurtful and insensitive to make those of us in this situation feel like we aren’t understanding parents.


This comment is in response to OPs perspective that boys need structured Torah learning every day, to which she said, even killed guys have a break.

OP didn’t mention (unless I missed it) that she works.
Back to top

amother




Dimgray
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 11:39 am
It's very sad that parents don't putting learning Torah first and that they think it is ok to take off from school on non jewish holidays. BH I don't belong to a community that does it. It is very sad to hear Jews do this.
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
I'm going to make shnitzel and chips for my kids for YK
by BatZion
4 Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:40 am View last post
Hyper kids
by amother
3 Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:21 am View last post
Is prepping for these holidays w kids miserable for everyone
by amother
14 Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:07 am View last post
Cute kids knit sets 0 Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:22 am View last post
Help my kids get shabbos shoes
by amother
7 Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:24 pm View last post