Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Does stuttering bother you?
1  2  Next

Does stuttering bother you (be honest)
Yes  
 24%  [ 27 ]
Depends how bad  
 30%  [ 34 ]
A little  
 15%  [ 17 ]
No  
 29%  [ 33 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 7:41 am
Do you get bothered to talk to someone who stutters? Do you think of someone less because they stutter?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 7:48 am
I don’t think less of them but I do feel very very bad for them

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:12 am
I don't think less of them any more than I think less of someone who has poor eyesight or hearing or walks with a cane. It's a little nerve-wracking if you're not used to it, and how nerve-wracking depends on how severe the impediment is. A number of years ago I acquired a coworker who stutters. His job is what they now call "forward-facing"(oh, these buzzwords!) and involves a lot of talking to the public. It doesn't seem to bother him, and apparently the clients aren't too bothered, either. We've had no complaints, at any rate. He communicates just fine, you simply wait for him to get the words out the way you wait for anyone else to think of the exact word he wants to say.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:22 am
For the people who voted no, would you have no issue speaking to a friend on the phone that stuttered also knowing that she wasn't able to express herself because there are words she would leave out? Would stuttering affect your friendship?

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:28 am
I don't think less of the person but I do have auditory processing difficulties so I find it a little stressful when someone I'm talking to has a bad stutter. But I've also found that in people I know well or talk with often it stops bothering me so much, it's like my ears got used to their specific speech pattern.

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:32 am
Ds stutters and it doesn't bother me at all.

He has friends in school and is an excellent student, teachers and Rebbe likes him.

We give him time and space to complete what he is saying.

I think it only bothers people who are more impatient, but that's something for others to work on themselves.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For the people who voted no, would you have no issue speaking to a friend on the phone that stuttered also knowing that she wasn't able to express herself because there are words she would leave out? Would stuttering affect your friendship?

I would have no problem talking with such a friend.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 8:33 am
Stuttering activates my compassion instinct, so no, I don't find it annoying. I think it would be easier for me to talk on the phone with someone who stutters than someone who, say, interrupts and doesn't let me get a word in edgewise.

BadTichelDay

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 8:27 am
I voted no. It doesn't bother me. I do feel mildly sorry for them. There's a young man whom I sometimes see at my job, who stutters. I've noticed that I tend to speak slower and more clearly when talking to him - not sure if that's the right thing to do, it just happens. Sometimes, when I'm very tired or exhausted, I start stuttering and can't get the words out in Hebrew, which isn't my first language.

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 9:06 am
No, I understand the person is trying to get the words out and I wait.

I will admit that there are speech patterns that do irritate me, but there's nothing I can do about them.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 9:49 am
My husband has a mild stutter. It was the only real reason I thought twice about marrying him (the other reasons were stupid things like “he’s an inch shorter and a year older than the range I said I wanted”). It bothers me a bit, sometimes, but as someone else said that just reflects on me and my need to work on my patience. Overall, I have no regrets about marrying him.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 10:19 am
The only person I met with a severe stutter has a lot of self confidence and a nice personality to be around. It takes a little longer to hear what he is saying, ber it’s worth the wait.

amother
Heather

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 2:01 pm
I'm a very impatient and hasty person, so it's hard for me to wait till they get their words out. BUT I'm working on myself!!!! Being a mom makes me work on my patience every day Smile

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 3:11 pm
I voted yes because it does bother me. I'm very impatient when people take a while to get to their point (husband as well) so this falls under the same category, not davka because of the stutter.
The person doesn't annoy me. I feel sorry for them. It must not be easy.
I clearly can improve my middos

amother
Mocha

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 3:27 pm
My husband has a slight stutter when nervous, uncomfortable or tired. I hardly notice it at home and when I do, I don't mind it but I hate to see other people getting uncomfortable when they see him stutter.

amother
Mocha

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 5:26 pm
Can you explain the hug please for my post?

justforfun87

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:30 pm
Honestly I totally project my feelings on how the sturrer may be feeling that it absolutely crushes me. I am so pained when I hear someone stuttering. I just want to give them a hug. I just want everyone to be kind and it hurts my heart that someone grew up probably being teased.

imasinger

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Absolutely not. Friends understand and appreciate each other. I'd expect a good friend to tolerate my challenges (occasional impulsivity, introversion, lateness, etc), and I'm very comfortable doing likewise with theirs, including when there's a stutter.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 7:49 pm
I stutter. Just treat us normally. Don't find a way to end the conversation. I want to talk to you.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 8:48 pm
I’d rather, like, talk to someone who, like, you know, stutters? than someone whose, like, every third word is “like” or “ya know?” ya know? or whose every phrase ends on, like, an up note? So I can’t, like, tell if, like, they’re, ya know, asking me or telling me?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics