Home

Pen display/drawing tablet

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Nov 26 2021, 2:44 pm
My teenager wants one, so I'm trying to research what to get. Anyone who can help with some info would be greatly appreciated!
1. What particular features are important to look for?
2. Are there any models that can be used without a laptop/internet after initial set up?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:32 am
Bumping in case anyone can help
Back to top

ellacoe




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:22 am
What do they want to use it for ?

I have a Renarkable which is great for writing, notes etc. You can leave what you write in handwriting or you can have it changed to be typewritten.

Itnis is also great for reading books or documents on. I also use it to correct and comment on documents. It’s not for drawing because it’s black and white.
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:28 pm
Maybe I can help.

Is she a skilled artist? What's your budget?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:57 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Maybe I can help.

Is she a skilled artist? What's your budget?


Thanks!

It's for drawing and it's for a 14 year who is kinda interested in an eventual career that has something to do with graphics...but, again, 14 so that's nothing to count on. A friend has one, but it's the wacum brand black type that doesn't have a screen and must be connected to a laptop. (Unfortunately, I can't talk to the friends parents about it, they're very preoccupied with something for the foreseeable future.)

So I'd like one, hopefully in the $200 range, but I'd pay more for something that doesn't need internet/laptop at all times. And it would be for exploring the idea of drawing, graphics and the like.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:03 pm
ellacoe wrote:
What do they want to use it for ?

I have a Renarkable which is great for writing, notes etc. You can leave what you write in handwriting or you can have it changed to be typewritten.

Itnis is also great for reading books or documents on. I also use it to correct and comment on documents. It’s not for drawing because it’s black and white.


Wow, that's so interesting...not for my dd, that's definitely for drawing. But I've been eyeing the remarkable for myself lol and you may have just sold me on it!! Thanks for posting!
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

It's for drawing and it's for a 14 year who is kinda interested in an eventual career that has something to do with graphics...but, again, 14 so that's nothing to count on. A friend has one, but it's the wacum brand black type that doesn't have a screen and must be connected to a laptop. (Unfortunately, I can't talk to the friends parents about it, they're very preoccupied with something for the foreseeable future.)

So I'd like one, hopefully in the $200 range, but I'd pay more for something that doesn't need internet/laptop at all times. And it would be for exploring the idea of drawing, graphics and the like.


I also only have a wacom without a display. I am looking into buying a display drawing tablet for myself, so I can tell you what I've learned based on research, but not so much from experience.

A decent drawing tablet MUST have pressure sensitivity, but its good if it has tilt sensitivity too.

Wacom is the name brand when it comes to drawing tablets. But they are very expensive if you want one with a screen. they range from like $400 for a super basic all the way up to $3000

What I would probably get for myself is something from the XP-pen line, because they seem the best from the budget drawing tablets. But they do need to be connected to a computer (or maybe an android device) to run. If you check their website xp-pen.com they have some sales going on now, and you can definitely find something for about $200

If your looking for something standalone that doesn't need to connect to a computer, you basically need to get a fully functional tablet or laptop that has stylus support and is good for artists. The popular way to go is the ipad pro, but that's $$$$$. Maybe look into the galaxy tab s lite. I'm not too familiar with it though, I don't know if its good for art.

Remarkable is not intended for art. Maybe an artist can enjoy playing with it, but I would not buy it for this purpose. It's not even a color screen.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:29 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
I also only have a wacom without a display. I am looking into buying a display drawing tablet for myself, so I can tell you what I've learned based on research, but not so much from experience.

A decent drawing tablet MUST have pressure sensitivity, but its good if it has tilt sensitivity too.

Wacom is the name brand when it comes to drawing tablets. But they are very expensive if you want one with a screen. they range from like $400 for a super basic all the way up to $3000

What I would probably get for myself is something from the XP-pen line, because they seem the best from the budget drawing tablets. But they do need to be connected to a computer (or maybe an android device) to run. If you check their website xp-pen.com they have some sales going on now, and you can definitely find something for about $200

If your looking for something standalone that doesn't need to connect to a computer, you basically need to get a fully functional tablet or laptop that has stylus support and is good for artists. The popular way to go is the ipad pro, but that's $$$$$. Maybe look into the galaxy tab s lite. I'm not too familiar with it though, I don't know if its good for art.

Remarkable is not intended for art. Maybe an artist can enjoy playing with it, but I would not buy it for this purpose. It's not even a color screen.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.


Thank you!

So even the one with a full screen would need to be connected to a tablet or laptop? Ok, I guess I have to work with that, though I was hoping to avoid it (internet, etc...)

In terms of display vs no display, I assume the one with the screen is much better and also costs more. Is the difference in function worth springing for?

(Sorry if these are dumb questions, I literally know nothing about this and am trying to get it for dd)
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!

So even the one with a full screen would need to be connected to a tablet or laptop? Ok, I guess I have to work with that, though I was hoping to avoid it (internet, etc...)

In terms of display vs no display, I assume the one with the screen is much better and also costs more. Is the difference in function worth springing for?

(Sorry if these are dumb questions, I literally know nothing about this and am trying to get it for dd)


A display drawing tablet is a glorified computer monitor. Its a computer monitor with advanced touch capability. So it wont run on its own. Maybe some of the expensive ones can run android, I dont know.

I think its definitely worth getting one with a screen. The only advantage of one without a screen is that its cheap. Some people find it useful, but Iv'e used mine for a long time, and I'm still more comfortable with a mouse than with the tablet. Confused

Just something else for you to know: She will need a good drawing program such as photoshop or the tablet won't be of much use.
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:50 pm
BTW im watching a review for the samsung tab s6 lite, and its actually looks appealing. Its only $250! I wonder if you can get it and disable the internet
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 5:40 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
BTW im watching a review for the samsung tab s6 lite, and its actually looks appealing. Its only $250! I wonder if you can get it and disable the internet


Thanks! Where are you seeing it for $250? I only see a renewed one on Amazon for $300ish.

Meanwhile, found this via googling and reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....3d12d

Any input? It seems like it would maybe work...
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! Where are you seeing it for $250? I only see a renewed one on Amazon for $300ish.

Meanwhile, found this via googling and reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....3d12d

Any input? It seems like it would maybe work...


Nice find! It seems decent. The samsung has better reviews.

Im seeing it on sale on samsungs website https://www.samsung.com/us/mob.....AEXAR

But it says it will arrive dec 22
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:25 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
Nice find! It seems decent. The samsung has better reviews.

Im seeing it on sale on samsungs website https://www.samsung.com/us/mob.....AEXAR

But it says it will arrive dec 22


Thanks so much for your help!. Not in any rush, it's for her bday in March, so 12/22 is fine.
Back to top

tigerwife




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:03 pm
If you can find a cheaper iPad, procreate is amazing. The Apple Pencil though is an additional $100.
Back to top

amother




Babypink
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:12 pm
Cheap iPad
Crayon https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....baf53
Screen cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ff518
Back to top

amother




Razzmatazz
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:18 pm
tigerwife wrote:
If you can find a cheaper iPad, procreate is amazing. The Apple Pencil though is an additional $100.


make sure you get a model thats comaptible with apple pencil
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Technology and Devices

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Ideas for picture/photo display 2 Mon, Jan 10 2022, 8:37 pm View last post
Name that Kiwi13! (I need a pen name)
by Kiwi13
78 Mon, Dec 13 2021, 12:19 am View last post
Is Tablet K an acceptable Kosher certification? 14 Sat, Dec 11 2021, 7:12 pm View last post
Contixo Kids Tablet 0 Mon, Nov 29 2021, 5:34 pm View last post
Tablet advice 0 Fri, Nov 26 2021, 5:33 am View last post