Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
ISO powerful hot plate

challahchallah

Post Sat, Nov 27 2021, 11:46 pm
I need a powerful hotplate to be able to do some Passover cooking ahead of kashering my kitchen (which I prefer to leave to the last possible moment). I bought one last year but everything took forever to cook because it didn’t have enough heat. I’m willing to spend for a high quality product. I’d like something I can buy online in the US.

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:24 am
You don't want a hot plate. You want an electric burner

Smile1234

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:40 am
Use a crock pot (or two)

Elfrida

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 1:43 am
Hot plates are designed to keep food warm, not to cook. They don't get hot enough for that.

You want an electric burner. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....702d3

There is a huge range of prices and qualities, and if you only want it for some early Pesach cooking you don't need the most expensive kind. You can also get double burners if you want to cook more than one thing at a time.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:16 am
Elfrida wrote:
Hot plates are designed to keep food warm, not to cook. They don't get hot enough for that.

You want an electric burner. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....702d3

There is a huge range of prices and qualities, and if you only want it for some early Pesach cooking you don't need the most expensive kind. You can also get double burners if you want to cook more than one thing at a time.

Ok, I guess I never really thought much about the difference in the two terms. Both the one you linked and the one I have say both “hot plate” and “electric burner” in the title of the Amazon listing.

Have you used this model? Does it cook food quickly? I’d rather save myself some hassle and spend more for a powerful and better quality model. Passover is hard enough as it is for someone who loves bread as much as I, challahchallah, do.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:18 am
Smile1234 wrote:
Use a crock pot (or two)

The foods I’m making don’t work in a crock pot. I need to be able to fry in a skillet, heat milk for making cheese, make béchamel sauces, etc.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:46 am
challahchallah wrote:

Have you used this model? Does it cook food quickly? I’d rather save myself some hassle and spend more for a powerful and better quality model. Passover is hard enough as it is for someone who loves bread as much as I, challahchallah, do.

No, I live in Israel, and use the local brands. I just picked on that at random, because it looked like a medium price point. Read the reviews and decide what you want to spend. Something small will be easier to store. My experience here is that they are all pretty similar.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:52 pm
Bump. Anyone have personal experience with one they love?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 2:02 pm
We used to have a simple double electric burner for pesach too. Most are good. Most are narrow and you can only use 1 small and 1 large pot at the same time. Just Google and find something with good reviews. This caught my eye.
https://www.amazon.com/Stainle.....e_div
And don't keep it on 24 hours straight for shabbos/yom tov.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We used to have a simple double electric burner for pesach too. Most are good. Most are narrow and you can only use 1 small and 1 large pot at the same time. Just Google and find something with good reviews. This caught my eye.
https://www.amazon.com/Stainle.....e_div
And don't keep it on 24 hours straight for shabbos/yom tov.

Thanks. I don’t keep it on for 24 hours for safety anyway. I’m a little hesitant to go with a brand I’ve never heard of unless someone has a specific one they like a lot. I got my last one by reading reviews and it just…wasn’t great. It’s fine, but everything takes so much longer to cook compared to when I’m using my real stove. I’d love to get one with a solid reputation for quality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars