Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Chanukah treats

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 8:28 am
healthy chanukah treats.

Andrea can you help us!?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:54 am
I was just going to start a thread like this lol. Give me a few minutes.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:20 am
I am going to start this by giving you a list of things we will be eating in our house and then I’m going to give you a bit of a dvar Torah although it isn’t going to be Torah exactly.

-Cheese stuffed jalapeños
-Salmon with feta on top
-fried Chicken wings obviously not at the same meal lol)
If I had time I’d make chicken cutlets coated in coconut or almond flour, but I don’t have time.
-my husband is messing around with pareve zucchini latka recipes but the cheese based ones are always good.
- salmon cakes using real salmon ( or from a can)
-cheese latkas are a thing
-sour cream on stuff
- migdal cheese slices microwaved become crispy and solid like crackers.

Other than that, the carb eaters in the house will eat donuts from our local grocery for the two parties we have.

Here’s the dvar Torah part:

The concept of oneg chag/Shabbat or yom Tov for me is wholistic. I am a person who cannot eat ‘one’ and once I start, I cannot stop eating once I start. I live a very happy life without eating the old ‘treats’ and I value it so highly that I am unwilling to shatter my oneg chag by decimating it to eat a thing that will give me momentary pleasure and then torture me for days in my head and my body.

If I eat ‘just’ one, a thousand will not be enough. The holiday will be ruined for me. So, I will do the following:

I WILL eat food that I enjoy that makes me happy. Mind you, I do that every day, so that’s not a real change.

I WILL be happy to buy my family members things they like to eat. Just because I choose not to eat them doesnt mean I can’t enjoy seeing them enjoy them.

I WILL NOT STARVE MYSELF. In all fairness, I never do this, so actually it’s not a big change, but you won’t find me walking around hungry because I don’t think it’s sustainable for me.

I WILL practice gratitude. My life is incredible today. ALL because I changed the way I ate, resolved health issues and felt so energized that I took on new things to learn and do! My life is SO much better than when I ate indiscriminately. It’s just not worth jeopardizing my happiness and health to eat something that I know can kill me.

Also, and some of you will have to take my word for this, but I know what non kosher donuts taste like. Kosher donuts in general are not as good as Unkosher ones. I mostly believe it just isn’t worth the bother.

I’ll let you know if my husband comes up with a good zucchini recipe for latkas. I think we are going to end up using dairy. Without flour they tend to fall apart.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:25 am
We just made healthy no sugar sugar type cookies and made chanukah shapes with cookie cutters

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:26 am
Sushi donuts

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:26 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
We just made healthy no sugar sugar type cookies and made chanukah shapes with cookie cutters

I’d love the recipe please!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:29 am
Zucchini latkes are amazing and if anyone does sweet potato https://umamigirl.com/sweet-potato-latkes/
It's absolutely delicious

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:31 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
I’d love the recipe please!

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....10114

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:26 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I am going to start this by giving you a list of things we will be eating in our house and then I’m going to give you a bit of a dvar Torah although it isn’t going to be Torah exactly.

-Cheese stuffed jalapeños
-Salmon with feta on top
-fried Chicken wings obviously not at the same meal lol)
If I had time I’d make chicken cutlets coated in coconut or almond flour, but I don’t have time.
-my husband is messing around with pareve zucchini latka recipes but the cheese based ones are always good.
- salmon cakes using real salmon ( or from a can)
-cheese latkas are a thing
-sour cream on stuff
- migdal cheese slices microwaved become crispy and solid like crackers.

Other than that, the carb eaters in the house will eat donuts from our local grocery for the two parties we have.

Here’s the dvar Torah part:

The concept of oneg chag/Shabbat or yom Tov for me is wholistic. I am a person who cannot eat ‘one’ and once I start, I cannot stop eating once I start. I live a very happy life without eating the old ‘treats’ and I value it so highly that I am unwilling to shatter my oneg chag by decimating it to eat a thing that will give me momentary pleasure and then torture me for days in my head and my body.

If I eat ‘just’ one, a thousand will not be enough. The holiday will be ruined for me. So, I will do the following:

I WILL eat food that I enjoy that makes me happy. Mind you, I do that every day, so that’s not a real change.

I WILL be happy to buy my family members things they like to eat. Just because I choose not to eat them doesnt mean I can’t enjoy seeing them enjoy them.

I WILL NOT STARVE MYSELF. In all fairness, I never do this, so actually it’s not a big change, but you won’t find me walking around hungry because I don’t think it’s sustainable for me.

I WILL practice gratitude. My life is incredible today. ALL because I changed the way I ate, resolved health issues and felt so energized that I took on new things to learn and do! My life is SO much better than when I ate indiscriminately. It’s just not worth jeopardizing my happiness and health to eat something that I know can kill me.

Also, and some of you will have to take my word for this, but I know what non kosher donuts taste like. Kosher donuts in general are not as good as Unkosher ones. I mostly believe it just isn’t worth the bother.

I’ll let you know if my husband comes up with a good zucchini recipe for latkas. I think we are going to end up using dairy. Without flour they tend to fall apart.

thanks so so much!
keep us posted!
what is your recipe for salmon cakes from canned salmon?
which brand do you use?
I only use dagim or gefen but I wanted to know if they were for sure genuinely wild caught or if they start I hatcheries and then released into the wild?
if their cans are safe etc
sadly no-one replied....do you have any info on this?

happy bday

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 12:39 pm
Can I get the recipe for zucchini latkes?
Thanks!

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks so so much!
keep us posted!
what is your recipe for salmon cakes from canned salmon?
which brand do you use?
I only use dagim or gefen but I wanted to know if they were for sure genuinely wild caught or if they start I hatcheries and then released into the wild?
if their cans are safe etc
sadly no-one replied....do you have any info on this?

I usually use leftover fresh salmon, and I admit I don’t use a recipe. I make my own mayo, and use that and almond flour till it looks right. Sometimes I add hot peppers.

I have no idea about canned salmon. If I buy it I buy sockeye because it tastes better. I buy the Canadian brand clover leaf or oceans at Costco. I am ok with regular hashgacha.

I’m not really familiar with canning issues. I don’t buy much canned… olives, hearts of palm and tuna or salmon on occasion…

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:48 am
happy bday wrote:
Can I get the recipe for zucchini latkes?
Thanks!

I’ll get it from my husband tomorrow. Gave me wicked indigestion ( which I never get) but they tasted great!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 4:32 am
andrea levy wrote:
I usually use leftover fresh salmon, and I admit I don’t use a recipe. I make my own mayo, and use that and almond flour till it looks right. Sometimes I add hot peppers.

I have no idea about canned salmon. If I buy it I buy sockeye because it tastes better. I buy the Canadian brand clover leaf or oceans at Costco. I am ok with regular hashgacha.

I’m not really familiar with canning issues. I don’t buy much canned… olives, hearts of palm and tuna or salmon on occasion…

you only eat olives on occasion? or canned olives? you use the jars?

what about sardines?

how do you make your own homemade mayo? without sugar?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

what about sardines?

talking about olives - are the green ones unripe?

should I rather go for black ones?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:23 am
3 medium zucchini, salted and drained (we used yellow)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tsp Italian spice or to taste
2 green onions
Olive or avocado oil to fry in

If batter is too thick, as a bit of water. If too thin, a bt of coconut flour.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

what about sardines?

I eat olives when I feel like it. I don’t feel like it all the time.

I will eat from cans or jars.
My mayo is 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt, tbsp mustard seeds, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, avocado oil. If the mixture starts to break use a bit if water or vinegar to bring it back together.

It’s about to break when it’s very thick and starts looking solid almost. This comes up if you’re making it in volume. To add more oil, you need to add the vinegar it water.

There are plenty of video instructions on you tube for making mayo.

I dislike sardines and they give me heartburn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise