Home

Halachot of one sink?
Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Honey
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:27 pm
You do have to admit that one sink makes basar bechalav far more complicated…
Back to top

amother




Sunflower
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:37 pm
bunchagirlies wrote:
great story:
teacher is talking about kashrus some decades ago. Was at a time that many BY girls had family that was less frum than them. Teacher said a great way to know if you can eat at family, is if they have 2 sinks- as if that's necessary. a girl raised her hand and said that her grandparents have 1 sink; can she eat there? her teacher (naively) answered that it's not a good idea. Girl asked if teacher knows who her grandfather is? R' Moshe Feinstein!
with time, we add on "normal", and what becomes "standard", and we then think it's halacha. I know a few people who won't cook on the same stove top for meat and dairy. They grew up with 2 stoves in their mother's kitchen, and they think that's how it has to be. It doesn't! Give it some time, and we'll "need" 2 refrigerators!


I love that story!
The norms have definitely changed.
I would love to know how they handled it practically though. I often wonder about that. I remember having a heated discussion with my grandmother about ovens and insisting you must have two. She told me growing up in her frum home in Hungary they only had one and that was the norm. They made it work!

We had two sinks for many years and got so used to it.
I got used to leaving the dishes in the sink and doing one big wash at the end of the day.
If you don’t leave the dishes in the sink where do you leave them? On the counter? In the dishpan or a tub. Where do those stay?

We have since moved and now we use the kitchen sink for fleishig and use the laundry sink for milchig. BH we have enough space there.
But it’s really not ideal
Back to top

imanotmommy




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:48 pm
When pouring boiling water into the sink (like from pasta) you also have to worry about the steam rising up and touching the pasta or pot. Steam is hotter than boiling water and can make things treif, milchig, or fleishig
Back to top

tichellady




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:49 pm
If you are sfardi it may not be a big deal at all
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 9:57 pm
What do you all do about pareve?
Back to top

amother




Crimson
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:26 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What do you all do about pareve?

Pareve, I just wash by hand, carefully. I scrub it on a counter top, then rinse it with hot water under the running faucet while holding it and making sure it doesn't drop into the basin of the sink.

The previous poster who mentioned people not knowing halacha because of having certain extras nowadays that our grandmothers never heard of, is totally correct. It's not just double sinks, it's having 2 ovens etc.
Back to top

amother




Oxfordblue
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:38 pm
I have one sink in tiny apartment. It's not hard on a daily basis and it's made of steel not ceramic so I usually kasher it before and after shabbos (because during week we are mostly milchig)
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 10:40 pm
I grew up frum my whole life with 1 sink, 1oven and 1 stovetop. We made it work.
Most of the rentals I lived in had the same setup.
2 sinks is a huge luxury.
Dishracks and bins. You just never let dishes touch the bottom of the sink.
It's really fine.


Last edited by essie14 on Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Amber
 

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 11:10 pm
I’ve only had one sink.

Nothing ever goes in the sink.

I have a Fleishig dishwasher and a lot goes in there. Milchig and pareve I wash holding. If it needs to soak it soaks on the counter.
After Shabbos when I have a lot to wash I put in a rack.

I can pour boiling down the drain. If milk or meat need to make sure no pieces of other gender in sink. If just boiling water it’s fine.

I know ppl change the drain in case pieces of milk or meat is stuck. My understanding was as long as I rinse and check it’s ok. (Hope I’m right)
Back to top

amother




Dandelion
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:00 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:

I got used to leaving the dishes in the sink and doing one big wash at the end of the day.
If you don’t leave the dishes in the sink where do you leave them? On the counter? In the dishpan or a tub. Where do those stay?


Our dishpans lived on the kitchen floor. Toddlers were taught very young that they were off limits. I would put dirty dishes in the appropriate bin, and when it was full I would stick it in the sink and wash them.

We now have 2 sinks but I still use this system for parwve- just one bin. Things go in. Stick bin in clean sink when full and wash it all
Back to top

amother




Lily
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 4:43 am
bunchagirlies wrote:
great story:
teacher is talking about kashrus some decades ago. Was at a time that many BY girls had family that was less frum than them. Teacher said a great way to know if you can eat at family, is if they have 2 sinks- as if that's necessary. a girl raised her hand and said that her grandparents have 1 sink; can she eat there? her teacher (naively) answered that it's not a good idea. Girl asked if teacher knows who her grandfather is? R' Moshe Feinstein!
with time, we add on "normal", and what becomes "standard", and we then think it's halacha. I know a few people who won't cook on the same stove top for meat and dairy. They grew up with 2 stoves in their mother's kitchen, and they think that's how it has to be. It doesn't! Give it some time, and we'll "need" 2 refrigerators!

Love this. And it's so true. I had some tourists (we're Israeli) tell me one time that they definitely didn't think it'd be possible to keep kosher with only one sink. Like, I don't even know what to say to that. Are you real?
Back to top

amother




Valerian
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:26 am
essie14 wrote:

Dishracks and bins. You just never let dishes touch the bottom of the sink.
It's really fine.


Even if the sink and water are lukewarm?
Back to top

chocolate moose




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:00 pm
I had a friend who wouldn't eat by us once she saw we only had one sink
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:46 pm
essie14 wrote:
I grew up frum my whole life with 1 sink, 1oven and 1 stovetop. We made it work.
Most of the rentals I lived in had the same setup.
2 sinks is a huge luxury.
Dishracks and bins. You just never let dishes touch the bottom of the sink.
It's really fine.


No bins. Racks.





If I need to soak anything, I fill it with water, or fill another pot with water and place it in there. I've never had an issue.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:48 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
Even if the sink and water are lukewarm?


Nope.

I don't worry if a fork falls on the bottom, unless there's burning not water for some reason. But I don't do it on purpose.

Believe it or not, I've never had a sink without a rack, even before I kept kosher. Do people really put stuff directly on their sinks?
Back to top

bunchagirlies




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:11 pm
I grew up with 2 sinks and had 2 all my married years too. But I know 1 is fine since we lived with one all summer, all my childhood, when we went to the catskills. we did dishpans on counter, which went into the sink when washing dishes. No big deal at all.
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:17 pm
if I could afford investing in a long term rental, I would.

our OCD with halacha and one sink - would be a total disaster@!

Hardly manage with 2.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Which one doesn't belong?
by sl1
316 Yesterday at 8:03 pm View last post
New kitchen sink - what did you buy recently? 4 Yesterday at 7:56 pm View last post
Double sink divider
by amother
0 Yesterday at 5:58 pm View last post
Travel insurance -- which one?
by amother
0 Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:42 pm View last post
Do you filter your sink water, how?
by amother
15 Sun, Jan 16 2022, 9:57 pm View last post