Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
If you light silver menorah outdoors, do you watch it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 3:46 pm
For people who light menorahs outside in those glass boxes, do you watch it for fire safety and so that no one takes it?

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:28 pm
My brother has one. It's not silver. That wouldn't be left outdoors.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Nov 28 2021, 4:31 pm
I wouldn't leave a silver menorah outdoors even if I lived in the frummest part of Yerushalayim Ir Hakodesh.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:05 am
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
I wouldn't leave a silver menorah outdoors even if I lived in the frummest part of Yerushalayim Ir Hakodesh.
Well, many many people do Smile and the chanukiyah is still there, for the most part, the next morning.

I live in a yishuv. There are some people that light expensive chanukiyahs outside. And not even in those boxes all of the time. Sometimes they are really big ones. Nothing happens to them.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:26 am
I wouldn't.
Our minhag is to light inside anyway.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:37 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Well, many many people do Smile and the chanukiyah is still there, for the most part, the next morning.

I live in a yishuv. There are some people that light expensive chanukiyahs outside. And not even in those boxes all of the time. Sometimes they are really big ones. Nothing happens to them.

In a yishuv it might be safer, but in Yerushalayim I know a few people who've had silver chanukiot stolen. Especially on Shabbos, when they stay out all night and no one is around.

I think everyone I know who lights outside uses a fairly simple chanukiah. The fancy ones are more display items and stay inside.

We don't watch them for fire safety. Closed glass boxes on top of stone walls are fairly low risk.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:42 am
I once saw a huge solver menorah with a padlock around it in a Jerusalem neighborhood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics