Home

Constant ear infections
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


jewishmom6




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:21 am
What do I do??

My baby(10 mnths) has had a few ear infections in the past few months.

We go from one medicine to the next to treat ear infections...
I think she has another one...I can not put her on another antibiotic!

Help!
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:27 am
Are you nursing or bottle feeding?

Nursing babies have fewer infections, because they have to suck harder and that pressure helps clear out the ear canals. (Like being on an airplane.)

Bottle fed babies are often tipped too far back, and that can cause ear pressure problems and a build up of fluid. Try using a nipple with a smaller hole, so she has to work harder to drink.

Either way, make sure that your baby is in more of a sitting up position when she drinks.

If she's on formula, she may be lactose intolerant. A quick allergy check might turn up positive, or you can try lactose free formula and see if it helps over the long term.

Ask your ped if there are any ear drops you can use to help prevent infections in the first place. When she's older, she may need ear tubes put in until the eustachian tubes grow and expand.

In the meantime, a lightly warm compress on the ear can help soothe the pain.
Back to top

amother




Pear
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:41 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are you nursing or bottle feeding?

Nursing babies have fewer infections, because they have to suck harder and that pressure helps clear out the ear canals. (Like being on an airplane.)

Bottle fed babies are often tipped too far back, and that can cause ear pressure problems and a build up of fluid. Try using a nipple with a smaller hole, so she has to work harder to drink.

Either way, make sure that your baby is in more of a sitting up position when she drinks.

If she's on formula, she may be lactose intolerant. A quick allergy check might turn up positive, or you can try lactose free formula and see if it helps over the long term.

Ask your ped if there are any ear drops you can use to help prevent infections in the first place. When she's older, she may need ear tubes put in until the eustachian tubes grow and expand.

In the meantime, a lightly warm compress on the ear can help soothe the pain.


My baby that was exclusively breast fed (my others where bottle fed) had constant ear infections and needed tubes afew times. My bottle fed babies did not have ear infections.
OP, I'd see an ENT, maybe the baby needs tubes. You can also try a chiropractor.
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:45 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
My baby that was exclusively breast fed (my others where bottle fed) had constant ear infections and needed tubes afew times. My bottle fed babies did not have ear infections.
OP, I'd see an ENT, maybe the baby needs tubes. You can also try a chiropractor.


Yep, there's always those babies who are exceptions to the rules. That's what makes parenting so hard! You do everything the books tell you, and then davka your kid has to be the one who's not following the plan. Banging head

Gotta love the little cuties, though! Very Happy
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:55 am
She is exclusively nursing and she hardly takes bottles!

I took myself and her off dairy
Back to top

amother




NeonOrange
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:57 am
My son had this. After almost a year of him being miserable, we tested him for food allergies. I immediately pulled the foods he tested positive to (dairy, eggs, nuts) from his and my (I was nursing) diet. I won't say he was ear infection free, but we would go months between them instead of days.

When my next 2 kids got their first ear infection at 3-4 months, I ran to the allergist and put us on diets based on the results of food allergies. When we would cheat or experiment with foods they were allergic to, they'd have a full blown ear infection within 24 hours.
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:08 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
My son had this. After almost a year of him being miserable, we tested him for food allergies. I immediately pulled the foods he tested positive to (dairy, eggs, nuts) from his and my (I was nursing) diet. I won't say he was ear infection free, but we would go months between them instead of days.

When my next 2 kids got their first ear infection at 3-4 months, I ran to the allergist and put us on diets based on the results of food allergies. When we would cheat or experiment with foods they were allergic to, they'd have a full blown ear infection within 24 hours.


I really believe its related to an allergy.

How did you get your doctor to give you a referral to allergist?
Back to top

srbmom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:15 am
Was she on Augmentin? It's strong but this is what finally worked for my DD. We were actually scheduled for tubes but in the meantime she got another ear infection and the Augmentin cleared it up. The ENT cancelled the surgery and she bh had no more infections after that
Back to top

amother




Melon
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:28 am
We had this problem. What works like magic is to put a clove garlic in each ear with a bandaid to hold it in place. Leave it there overnight. The infection will be gone in the morning. This method works best when the garlic is applied at the onset of the slightest symptom.
Back to top

amother




Narcissus
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:10 pm
Why dont you go to an ENT and see if he is a candidate for tubes? We did it for my son when he was 14 months and our only regret was that we didnt do it sooner. We would have saved our son (and ourselves) so much misery, so many rounds of antibiotics and so many sleepless nights
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:28 pm
srbmom wrote:
Was she on Augmentin? It's strong but this is what finally worked for my DD. We were actually scheduled for tubes but in the meantime she got another ear infection and the Augmentin cleared it up. The ENT cancelled the surgery and she bh had no more infections after that


yes
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Melon ] wrote:
We had this problem. What works like magic is to put a clove garlic in each ear with a bandaid to hold it in place. Leave it there overnight. The infection will be gone in the morning. This method works best when the garlic is applied at the onset of the slightest symptom.


ugh . how is it going to stay in her ear, sounds uncomfortable? one clove?
Back to top

jewishmom6




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
Why dont you go to an ENT and see if he is a candidate for tubes? We did it for my son when he was 14 months and our only regret was that we didnt do it sooner. We would have saved our son (and ourselves) so much misery, so many rounds of antibiotics and so many sleepless nights


doc told me she needs more ear infections to qualify lol
Back to top

malksters




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:33 pm
Went through this recently with my baby (also exclusvely breastfed) and finally got him tubes at 13 months. Also regret not doing it sooner! Definitely worth a visit to an ENT to see if your baby is elligible for tubes.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 12:53 pm
ENTs are mechanics. They do tubes all the time and do them well. Still it's understandable to want to make some effort to see if there's something you can do. We bH saw a turnaround when we started to give dc acidopholus with the antibiotics.
Back to top

amother




Indigo
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:01 pm
Look for tongue tie. It can affect airway which will affect how sinuses drain including Eustachian tubes. Also in addition to going off dairy I would go off gluten as well. Chiropractic and or craniosacral therapy can help bring body back into alignment also.
Back to top

yiddishmom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 1:04 pm
How many ear infections did she already have that the doctor says she isn't eligible yet?

My son constantly had ear infections too. We finally got him tubes at 18 months. Should have done it long before!

He still has ear infections every few months, but it's much better than every few weeks.

Ear drops only work if the ear drum popped, which we had almost each time.

To the mother who said she took her child to an allergist, did your child have any other allergy symptoms other than an ear infection? I keep thinking about going to an allergist, but then I nix the idea because he doesn't have a single other symptom other than constant ear infections.
Back to top

amother




Narcissus
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 2:54 pm
[quote="jewishmom6"]doc told me she needs more ear infections to qualify lol[/quote

Yeah I remember the pediatrician saying that they dont refer to an ent until there are 4 infections in one season. But honestly you can go sooner if you feel you need to.
The ent wont for sure say to do tubes. My nephew also had chronic ear infections and the ent said not to put in tubes. So why not go just to hear their recommendation
Back to top

amother




DarkOrange
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 2:58 pm
Our ent gave us reflux meds because our child had silent reflux causing all the fluid to get up there. Bh those helped to stop their ear infections.
Back to top

amother




NeonOrange
 

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 4:14 pm
Quote:
I really believe its related to an allergy.

How did you get your doctor to give you a referral to allergist?


First I don't need referrals for my insurance.
Second, I didn't know that the first time around and the doctor gave me one.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Ear infection - please help
by amother
12 Yesterday at 8:57 am View last post
Infant ear piercing - mutilation?
by amother
80 Mon, Jan 10 2022, 5:04 pm View last post
Newborn ear infection
by amother
14 Thu, Dec 30 2021, 2:35 pm View last post
Ear wax removal at home 2 Sun, Dec 26 2021, 10:15 am View last post
My ears are uniquely low, so sheitel's ear tabs are short
by amother
4 Sat, Dec 25 2021, 9:21 pm View last post