Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Feta Cheese Help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 6:54 pm
Whenever I go to a dairy restaurant I always order a salad with feta. I've tried many times to replicate these salads on my own but the only feta I can find in my local groceries (NY) is very different in both taste and texture than the restaurants. The restaurants are like drier and shredded, the supermarkets just have this type in brine that is like wet and mushy. Any ideas where in Brooklyn I can buy the restaurant quality feta?

Thanks!

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:17 pm
Tnuva makes one that's vacuum sealed (no brine) as do some high end brands. Check pomegranate and breadberry.

theoretical62

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:21 pm
Maybe someone else will chime in to help but I think I do have an answer. My mother in law buys tnuva feta cheese, not the type in the blue box, type that comes in clear plastic package. Then she grates it herself. Im pretty sure this is what you're looking for. Let me know if you have more questions...

see someone else posted the same just now

challahchallah

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:31 pm
The kind in brine needs to have the liquid pressed out first for that texture. Wrap in towels or paper towels then add some weight to let the water come out.

newmom1987

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:34 pm
Tnuva makes one of cows milk and one of sheep’s milk. The sheep’s milk one is so so good.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:39 pm
Tnuva sheep's feta cheese in the vacuumed packed version is the best. You can grate it do get that consistency.

Sadly it hasn't been available the last few months.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:40 pm
Thanks so much! By sheep's milk do you mean, goat's milk? My grocery has one in brine that says it's from goat's milk.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much! By sheep's milk do you mean, goat's milk? My grocery has one in brine that says it's from goat's milk.

The Tnuva brand specifically. In the vacuum package only, not the blue container that says lite. And it can't say cow's 'feta cheese (they have another version).

egam

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No. There’s goat milk, cow milk feta and sheep milk feta. You are looking for sheep milk. The best is Pastures of Eden, but it’s very hard to find. Tnuva in the vacuum pack is the second best and more available. I usually get it from Costco, but most kosher stores have it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:17 pm
Pasture of Eden can be found at Wegmann’s and Tnuva at Costco.
But I don’t live in Brooklyn (or Lakewood or Monsey)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:31 pm
Thanks so much all. I'm gonna search all the Brooklyn supermarkets. If it is vacuum packed can I assume it lasts a while and I can stock up?

egam

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:32 pm
Duplicate post

egam

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much all. I'm gonna search all the Brooklyn supermarkets. If it is vacuum packed can I assume it lasts a while and I can stock up?

Yes.

newmom1987

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:15 pm
https://I.imgur.com/lpRmJ9i.jpg
Looks like this. Green package. It can be hard to find.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Whenever I go to a dairy restaurant I always order a salad with feta. I've tried many times to replicate these salads on my own but the only feta I can find in my local groceries (NY) is very different in both taste and texture than the restaurants. The restaurants are like drier and shredded, the supermarkets just have this type in brine that is like wet and mushy. Any ideas where in Brooklyn I can buy the restaurant quality feta?

Thanks!

just curious. never tried feta.
are there any health benefits over other cheeses?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:49 pm
newmom1987 wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/lpRmJ9i.jpg
Looks like this. Green package. It can be hard to find.

Thanks that was super helpful.

sweet

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 10:23 pm
This is the second best feta cheese.
The best one, I think is also from tnuva, it comes in a round container, already crumbled.
Since it comes from Isreal, it's not in stores now.
They get it in every few months.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:20 pm
sweet wrote:
This is the second best feta cheese.
The best one, I think is also from tnuva, it comes in a round container, already crumbled.
Since it comes from Isreal, it's not in stores now.
They get it in every few months.

Yes! Been waiting for that to come back. It’s been awhile.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 29 2021, 11:31 pm
Haolam makes a crumbled feta. They also have one in brine but I always buy just the crumbled and it’s great

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Nov 30 2021, 12:10 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
just curious. never tried feta.
are there any health benefits over other cheeses?

No. It's just brined and really salty. Some people like it crumbled and sprinkled over over salad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries